Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Maintenance From Spouse Living Abroad

• 07-12-2015 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hello,
    I have been legally separated for about two years now. I went to the district court looking for maintenance payments from my ex a few months back and the judge did not award any payments as we were both working and our two kids lived between both our homes (although this was not entirely true). I have recently found out that my ex has moved abroad and therefore the kids live with me 100% of the time. I was thinking of going back to the courts to seek payments however I am not sure how this works if the person is living abroad. How do I ensure they get the letter, I do not have an address at the moment. I do not want to go see a solicitor until I am sure it is worthwhile as it costs a lot even just to talk to them. Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

It is possible http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/birth_family_relationships/separation_and_divorce/maintenance_orders_and_agreements.html

Maintenance from abroad
    Ireland is party to various international conventions and there are also EU Regulations which facilitate the recovery of maintenance from abroad. See our document on the EU and family law.

If you wish to obtain maintenance from someone living abroad, contact the Central Authority for Maintenance Recovery in the Department of Justice and Equality for help - see 'Contacts' below. You must have an address for the other party.

The bolded bit as you stated above is a hold back, also depends on what country your ex has moved too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Claireblue

ken wrote:
    The bolded bit as you stated above is a hold back, also depends on what country your ex has moved too.

Thanks for that Ken. It looks like I have no hope without an address. Seems unfair that someone can just up and off and not have to pay anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Joshua5

So you shared access 50-50 and he's just disappeared?

Advertisement