Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Flatmate Charter

Options
  • 07-12-2015 4:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭

I see a new post on here and in Personal Issues regarding a flatmate having their partner over nearly all the time - and then how to approach the problem.

Having lived in many houseshares I was always surprised that we never agreed to basic rules when moving in.

This was mainly because no one wanted to appear a stick in the mud / lawmaker / house parent.

What would have stopped a lot of the problems that arose would have been a charter agreed upon with housemates when moving in which could be referred to if issues arose rather than a lot of pussyfooting around

Starting with

1. My partner will not stay over more than three nights of any given week unless there are extraordinary circumstances and I will check that with my housemates beforehand.

2. I won't finish someone else's milk

3. If I borrow food, I will inform the owner and I'll replace it within 24 hours unless

Would that work?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

4. I'll open my eyes and notice the dirt sometimes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

zoobizoo wrote: »

1. My partner will not stay over more than three nights of any given week unless there are extraordinary circumstances and I will check that with my housemates beforehand.

I think if they have a guest over three nights then they should be gone three nights too.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If I finish the 2nd-to-last roll of toilet paper, I will buy some more.

I just take the last full one into my room. It forces them into action.

Seriously, why can't people buy essentials like bin bags, toilet paper, dishwasher tablets.

Where do they think this stuff comes from?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

Saipanne wrote: »
    Seriously, why can't people buy essentials like bin bags, toilet paper, dishwasher tablets.

Friend of mine asked an old housemate of hers to go buy toilet paper.....

He wouldn't because he said that he didn't use toilet paper!!

• Advertisement

Grand, I'll keep it in my room, poo pants...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Butters1979

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

I would think 3 nights a week would be excessive having a guest over. I would find 2 nights a lot more agreeable, and that is coming from someone who would have a guest over regularly when I was in a house share.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

May I steal this and use it on the wife.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Toilet Paper Fun Fact-
    About four billion people don't use toilet paper. About 70% - 75 % of the world’s population does not use toilet paper.

Some of them have moved to Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

Don't eat/drink the last one of anything if it isn't yours. This goes double triple quadruple for beer! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Kraft.l

Don't touch my glasses, they're mine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

I see a new post on here and in Personal Issues regarding a flatmate having their partner over nearly all the time - and then how to approach the problem.

Having lived in many houseshares I was always surprised that we never agreed to basic rules when moving in.

This was mainly because no one wanted to appear a stick in the mud / lawmaker / house parent.

What would have stopped a lot of the problems that arose would have been a charter agreed upon with housemates when moving in which could be referred to if issues arose rather than a lot of pussyfooting around

Starting with

2. I won't finish someone else's milk

3. If I borrow food, I will inform the owner and I'll replace it within 24 hours unless

Would that work?

Buy your own food, don't start, finish or borrow someone else's food or anything else without asking, if you need to ask to borrow something it means you haven't the foresight to organise and buy it yourself which means lazy and cheap in my book.

3 nights is excessive for having guests, 2 max and only when they stay out of the way.

wyndham wrote: »
    Toilet Paper Fun Fact-

Oh I know, didn't I have a pig toilet myself living on a beach in Goa for six months.

This guy was Irish and it was the early 90s.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭King George VI

No loud sex/music/noise in general after 9pm on weekdays. People have work in the morning. It's reasonably acceptable on a weekend but don't overdo it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

wyndham wrote: »
    Toilet Paper Fun Fact-
    About four billion people don't use toilet paper. About 70% - 75 % of the world’s population does not use toilet paper.
    Well if you live in a warm country, and the water supply is also quite warm, then it is probably the better option anyway. One winter of icy cold water here, and I'd say most people would see the merits of using toilet paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

Would that work?
    I don't think so, I mean it explicitly casts you in the role of lawmaker, to try and impose it in the first place. And if you aren't assertive enough to resolve issues without it, then chances are you are just going to be an unassertive person holding a piece of paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

Me talking to a housemate

8 weeks ago
    Me; can you clean the george forman after using it.
    Him; ok.

No longer uses george forman

6 weeks ago
    Me; can you clean the grill after using it.
    Him; ok.

No longer grills food

4 weeks ago
    Me; can you clean the hob after frying.
    Him; ok.

He no longer frys food and I'm scared to say anything about cleaning the microware incase he starves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

Frynge wrote: »

8 weeks ago
    Him; ok.

6 weeks ago
    Him; ok.

No longer grills food

4 weeks ago
    Him; ok.

He no longer frys food and I'm scared to say anything about cleaning the microware incase he starves.

Maybe he is just doing an incredible job of cleaning them that you never notice he used them :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

Maybe he is just doing an incredible job of cleaning them that you never notice he used them :P

No. I have been at home all day for the last 3 weeks studying for exams and all he eats is microwave dinners or takeaway.

• Advertisement

8 weeks ago
    Him; ok.

6 weeks ago
    Him; ok.

No longer grills food

4 weeks ago
    Him; ok.

Lots of Peter Pans out there. I blame their parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

if your not going to be sound and become my mate and drink with housemates and have dinner together and craic , don't move in with people. Go live on your own. 'mates' is an essential part of housemates.

Classic.

He probably has no idea how to clean them!

• Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Don't use my butter and then replace it with spread. They're not the same!

No loud sex/music/noise in general after 9pm on weekdays. People have work in the morning. It's reasonably acceptable on a weekend but don't overdo it.

9pm is unreasonable I'm often only cooking dinner at that time, 11pm would be a more standard time to expect people to start keeping it down.
    if your not going to be sound and become my mate and drink with housemates and have dinner together and craic , don't move in with people. Go live on your own. 'mates' is an essential part of housemates.

To be fair the above type of houseshare wouldn't be for me, in fact id be the opposite. I really don't want to be hanging out with housemates at all and I much prefer (which has been the case in the places I've lived) where people give each other space and don't eat together, cook together or even watch tv's together etc much. I'm not trying to make new friends when I move into a houseshare and really the more time I've to myself around the house the better.

Only reason I'm sticking out housesharing at the minute is I basically don't cross paths with my housemates much at all. One of them I interact with once a month about when sorting bills the other once or twice a week we might have a short chat.

Obviously it's totally different if you actually moved in with friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

One thing that helped me before, a Google docs spreadsheet for any shared expenses. Separate tabs for each housemate, detailing date of bill/expense, description and amount. Someone pays for the takeaway, onto the sheet, ESB, onto the sheet, TV licence, oh you better believe that goes on the sheet. Just because I own the TV doesn't mean you don't watch it too.

A quick formula can work out the total, divide by the number of housemates and subtract their expenses. Quick and easy totals for who owes what to whom.

To be fair the above type of houseshare wouldn't be for me, in fact id be the opposite. I really don't want to be hanging out with housemates .

I found that in some house shares I became good friends with housemates I hadn't known before moving in...

The worst house shares were the ones where I couldn't build rapport with a housemate - not that I was trying to be their new best friend but just trying to have a chat....

(When I say worst, that excludes the nutjobs, the crazies and the weirdos)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Saipanne wrote: »
    I just take the last full one into my room. It forces them into action.

Where do they think this stuff comes from?

Mammy.

Some people are just in house shares because Mammy/Daddy got so fed up with their scrounging and laziness they turfed them out of the house and they have no domestic skills at all!

When growing up we had to wash our own clothes from the age of about 12 and also had to wash dishes daily and clean all the house once a week, I couldn't understand how many of my friends not only wouldn't help clear away and wash dishes but also how many of their mothers found the idea of their son having to do anything in the house abhorrent. Daughters were expected to do the good housekeeper routine though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

What? This happens in hardly any houseshares.

• Advertisement

To be fair the above type of houseshare wouldn't be for me, in fact id be the opposite.

To be fair, you wouldn't last 5 minutes in a houseshare interview with me.

That doesn't make either of us right or wrong, we've just different approaches to it and are best off not trying to houseshare in the same place.

I'd agree with Eric that you're be better off living on your own or - as we've established you live in thru other threads - a houseshare that is run more like a boarding house with shared kitchen.

Personally I don't think that a person can ever have too many friends, and I'd be open to meeting them anywhere that they appear, including houseshares.

Advertisement