Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Flatmate Charter

Options

Comments

Ugh :eek:

I think that the smell would mean the chance of going into your home house are pretty low!

They change the tin foil after every use alright at home though lately they have started putting the foil on top of the wire tray so nothing needs washing just change the foil, I prefer not to cover the wire tray though and I'm too lazy to wash or change foil after every use as are the other housemates so it usually gets a good few uses (5 or 6 maybe which can mean two weeks+ or so depending on usage) between changes. I don't see much of a difference in smell anyway between fresh foil or foil after a few uses, it's just the smell of grilling. When it starts getting smokey then it's time to change it. Life's too short to be wasting time washing a grill or changing foil after every use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

Life's too short to be wasting time washing a grill after every use.

Would you roast a chicken in an oven tray and then a week later roast another one in it without washing it?

How is the grill any different?

Its not about life being too short - sure you could apply that logic to any hygienic activity (lifes is too short to waste time washing myself) - and all it would mean is that you are lazy and dirty.

btw - you dont see any difference in smell because if you are changing it that infrequently the food waste will have seeped down under the tin foil so the whole thing is stinking even when you put new tin foil in. AND allowing it to build up until its smokey means the food waste is being deposited on the side walls and ceiling of the oven cavity. Ugh, I feel shuddery at the thoughts of it.

Would you roast a chicken in an oven tray and then a week later roast another one in it without washing it?

Because all the stuff in the grill drips down into the tray and only a little is on the wire where as an you leave something directly into a roasting tray so if you were to reuse it you would be leaving in in a pile stuff rather than separated from it like in a grill. Only sausages and rashers etc get grilled anyway so is only a bit of fat that's sitting in the tray.

If only changing foil in the grill every now and then disgusts you that much you wouldn't last long with a lot of the housemates I have had and still have.

Because all the stuff in the grill drips down into the tray and only a little is on the wire where as an you leave something directly into a roasting tray so if you were to reuse it you would be leaving in in a pile stuff rather than separated from it like in a grill. Only sausages and rashers etc get grilled anyway so is only a bit of fat that's sitting in the tray.

All the gross rotting fat and old bits of food in the grill tray splash up when it is heated - as well as old bits of food and goop sticking to the wire tray itself.

You are providing excellent examples of things that should be in a Flatmate Charter tbh.

There is no way I could live with people who were so grossly unhygienic with regards to food preparation. Besides being disgusting, its a health hazard.

If people are so lazy about basic food hygiene, I can only imagine where else in life they dont bother to clean because "life is too short". I just wouldnt want to live with people who were dirty that way.

As I said, its not just gross, its actually a health hazard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Its not about life being too short - sure you could apply that logic to any hygienic activity (lifes is too short to waste time washing myself) - and all it would mean is that you are lazy and dirty.

btw - you dont see any difference in smell because if you are changing it that infrequently the food waste will have seeped down under the tin foil so the whole thing is stinking even when you put new tin foil in. AND allowing it to build up until its smokey means the food waste is being deposited on the side walls and ceiling of the oven cavity. Ugh, I feel shuddery at the thoughts of it.

Id consider myself to quite particular and pedantic about having things clean, but I think you are being a bit OTT here, after a chicken roast, yes, Id clean it as soon as it becomes congealed so I can scrape it out (the dog loves it mixed in with her food).

Even assuming someone grills food everyday, I think a thorough weekly clean is acceptable, most people wouldn't grill food that gives off fat everyday I think.
    In the instances where the grill did get more use when Id lived in shared places, Id scrape out anything congealed and pour boiling water over it anyway, just to clean it up.
    These days either the dog gets it or it goes in the brown bin, but its so rarely used for that kind of food its usually the dog's.
    All the gross rotting fat and old bits of food in the grill tray splash up when it is heated - as well as old bits of food and goop sticking to the wire tray itself.

You are providing excellent examples of things that should be in a Flatmate Charter tbh.

There is no way I could live with people who were so grossly unhygienic with regards to food preparation. Besides being disgusting, its a health hazard.

If people are so lazy about basic food hygiene, I can only imagine where else in life they dont bother to clean because "life is too short". I just wouldnt want to live with people who were dirty that way.

As I said, I'm particular about hygiene and food preparation, Id be more concerned about hand hygiene and the risk of cross contamination with meats, especially chicken and then pork.
    The idea this is gross and that the fat is going to start rotting inside a week is a bit extreme. The grill up food itself probably presents more of a health hazard.
    If I used the grill more, I'd line it with foil and cover the wire tray too, which would prevent splashing fat coming back up.

The quickest and I think cleanest solution to it is to wait till the fat solidifies, clean it away then for convenience and disposal, and then pour a kettle of boiling water over the lot of it in the basin.
    Foil covering things makes it easier to keep things clean for longer though as any tiny residual fat doesn't burn onto things, especially wire mesh trays, which are terrible to clean.

• Advertisement

cerastes wrote: »
    Even assuming someone grills food everyday, I think a thorough weekly clean is acceptable, most people wouldn't grill food that gives off fat everyday I think.

What food would you grill that doesnt give off fat? The only thing I use it for that doesnt give off fat is toast. Other than that I use it to grill meat. Maybe people do grill other things that are "dry" - I did say that it doesnt need to be cleaned after grilling something dry.

I think it needs to be cleaned (removing congealed fat and rinsing with boiling water IS cleaning it!) after every usage (not dry food) otherwise you are cooking old fat into it, and having the old rotting fat splash up on your food.
    In the instances where the grill did get more use when Id lived in shared places, Id scrape out anything congealed and pour boiling water over it anyway, just to clean it up.

That IS a basic clean of the grill?
    The idea this is gross and that the fat is going to start rotting inside a week is a bit extreme. The grill up food itself probably presents more of a health hazard.

Of course the food/fat waste mix is rotting inside of a week - would you eat a week old cooked sausage? Or burger? That had been reheated and splashed with old fat and old food waste several times? I doubt it. But thats whats happening if you let the waste build up in the grill (tin foil or not). Bathing the new food in old food waste, I really dont see how that is an extreme view at all.

You also gets lots of little bits of burnt burnt bits sticking to the latest cooked food - which is equally gross.

Sorry - I really dont see it as extreme to wash something you have used to cook food in after use at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

I literally don't interact with my current housemate (subtenant). He seems like a perfectly nice guy, but we've only ever had about two conversations. He leaves the rent on the kitchen table every Tuesday evening, I take care of the bills etc. He leaves the house very early in the mornings, and when he returns he spends the evening in his bedroom. I'm often in the sitting room in the evenings, I'd have no problem with him joining me if he wanted to, but it suits me that he obviously doesn't want to! I don't feel like I'm monopolising the sitting room ... even the nights I'm not there, he stays in his bedroom anyways. He only spends around 4 nights a week here, then returns to his farm down the country for the weekends! The perfect set-up really.

What food would you grill that doesnt give off fat? The only thing I use it for that doesnt give off fat is toast. Other than that I use it to grill meat. Maybe people do grill other things that are "dry" - I did say that it doesnt need to be cleaned after grilling something dry.

I think it needs to be cleaned (removing congealed fat and rinsing with boiling water IS cleaning it!) after every usage (not dry food) otherwise you are cooking old fat into it, and having the old rotting fat splash up on your food.

That IS a basic clean of the grill?

Of course the food/fat waste mix is rotting inside of a week - would you eat a week old cooked sausage? Or burger? That had been reheated and splashed with old fat and old food waste several times? I doubt it. But thats whats happening if you let the waste build up in the grill (tin foil or not). Bathing the new food in old food waste, I really dont see how that is an extreme view at all.

You also gets lots of little bits of burnt burnt bits sticking to the latest cooked food - which is equally gross.

Sorry - I really dont see it as extreme to wash something you have used to cook food in after use at all.

Q.what food would you grill that doesnt give off fat?
    A.frozen food, like nuggets or frozen fish, that kind, would only eat rarely. As opposed to rashers, sausages (which give off a lot of fat I think).

Q? That IS a basic clean of the grill?
    A. With the highlighted "IS", despite the "?", I don't know if that is a question or a statement.
    Are you emphasising that definitely is only a basic clean? or astonished that I consider that a basic clean?
    I think boiling water over most things is a good way to clean something, I pour boiling water over used meat packaging to clean it as its stays in a recycle bin in the house till that fills before I chuck it into the green bin (saves me doing trips outside everytime I have something to recycle).

I wouldn't eat a week old sausage or anything, but its not like you are spooning out the fat and eating it. We dont have to clean the grill that much as we rarely use for that kind of food, and rarer, at most once a week for treat of a fry/grill. I can understand some people leave it too long, but unless someone or a few people are doing a grill up every day for breakfast and dinner then I think a daily cleaning is excessive (unless using as regular as I mentioned above and quite a bit of congealed fat has built quickly, in which case scrape it out and boiling water).
    Otherwise a weekly clean is acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭April 73

Who knew grill cleaning could spark such debate?!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

April 73 wrote: »
    It can be absolute hell when oblivious people expect you to cook your food in their rotting accumulated waste though and I agree about the stink when you heat it up again after its congealed. I lived with a lad who used to make homemade burgers in the grill from the cheapest mince he could find and the smell would stick to you, used to be paranoid about people at work smelling it on me. Bacon fat is probably the worst though.

Come join the Philips Airfryer Master Race over in our thread in Food and Drink anyone who's sick of manky shared grills/ovens :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Some needlessly obtuse outlooks on here, in my humble opinion!

I get that you don't "have" to make friends with your housemates, but it sounds like some posters avoid their housemates like the plague.

At the very least - be open to the possibility of a decent relationship with the people you live with.

Well, me personally, I have sometimes made friends with housemates. But I have never been able to force chumminess and never will be able to. If it happens it happens. I'm always suspicious of people who are overly friendly on first meeting. They always strike me as trying to get people on-side and like the kind that bitch about a lot of people behind their backs and to be honest, I've rarely been proven wrong on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Potatoeman wrote: »
    You don't need to clean the grill if you use tinfoil on the tray.

Eugh, even with tinfoil, you still to clean the pan, fat always seeps through to the pan. Now, foil helps in that you can lift a lot of the fat away before cleaning but the grill still needs to be cleaned.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭MrMorooka

The manual for my oven says not to use tin foil because it can catch on fire.

Q.what food would you grill that doesnt give off fat?
    A.frozen food, like nuggets or frozen fish, that kind, would only eat rarely. As opposed to rashers, sausages (which give off a lot of fat I think).

Ah. Id never cook anything like that. I guess frozen pizzas or crispy pancake type things too - yeah, I dont eat processed food like that (not meaning to sound snobby about it! - it just doesnt agree with me). I guess any dry item like that is fine and I wouldnt be scrubbing the grill afterwards.
    Are you emphasising that definitely is only a basic clean? or astonished that I consider that a basic clean?
    I think boiling water over most things is a good way to clean something

You said you would do the scrape and boiling water "just to clean it up" - I assumed you meant between weekly cleans, so I was just saying that imo the scrape and boiling water is a basic clean - so really you are cleaning it more than once weekly in that case, but maybe deep cleaning it once weekly and basic cleaning it with the boiling water - which is grand, its the hardened fats that smell in it and are unhygienic.

I can understand some people leave it too long, but unless someone or a few people are doing a grill up every day for breakfast and dinner then I think a daily cleaning is excessive (unless using as regular as I mentioned above and quite a bit of congealed fat has built quickly, in which case scrape it out and boiling water).
    Otherwise a weekly clean is acceptable.

After each use it should have at least a boiling water and scrape out.

I hate cleaning the grill btw, it doesnt fit into the sink so I have to scrub it half in, half out - but it is such a stinky thing otherwise that Id rather scrub it after each use then leave it. Plus I hate food cooked with bits of old food splashing up. Even if it was used in the same day twice I would clean it each time.

The problem in a house share is that if you do not enforce cleaning it each time its used you will get people who just never clean it - rendering it unusable for the rest of us.

Health hazard? Its a grill everything is blitzed with the heat so a few tiny splashes of fat are not going to contain anything harmful.

I never get sick and live in a house where the grill is used by different people for different things a number lots of times before changing the foil and its not doing a thing on me so if you are just cooking on it yourself in your own place its even less less of an issue.
    Thargor wrote: »
    Come join the Philips Airfryer Master Race over in our thread in Food and Drink anyone who's sick of manky shared grills/ovens :P

Out of interest how often do you clean the airfryer? Its says you are supposed to clean it after every use but its a painful job cleaning it so I usually clean it about every 2 weeks, which is about 4 uses or so as I don't use it everyday.

Health hazard? Its a grill everything is blitzed with the heat so a few tiny splashes of fat are not going to contain anything harmful.

I never get sick and live in a house where the grill is used by different people for different things a number lots of times before changing the foil (its rarely actually cleaned, just replace the foil) and its not doing a thing on me so if you are just cooking on it yourself in your own place its even less less of an issue.

You are aware that burnt bits are carcinogenic right? And that you might not see the effects of that in your body immediately?

You are aware that burnt bits are carcinogenic right? And that you might not see the effects of that in your body immediately?

Im usually cooking sausages and rashers etc in the grill which are usually a bit burned anyway when cooking so a few splashes of burnt stuff wont make much difference

April 73 wrote: »

Id be willing to bet that people who think tin foil and not cleaning the grill after use is normal and grand are unhygienic in other areas of life, maybe too lazy to change bed clothes regularly, or wear clothes a few times too many before washing, or even not washing their bodies too regularly.

Being lazy about cleaning one thing is often reflective of an attitude of laziness to cleaning things in general.

Each to their own and all that and if people are happy to have a gross smelly grill in their kitchen I wish them all the best of it - but Id never be able to live with someone like that myself.

Im usually cooking sausages and rashers etc in the grill which are usually a bit burned anyway when cooking so a few splashes of burnt stuff wont make much difference

Sounds..........delicious disgusting!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

In fairness if we were to dodge every carcinogenic out there we would be living fairly sheltered life. Also, your intake of charred / burned food in this way would be so negligible it would not be worth measuring. The radiation you are receiving from walking around outside would be much more measurable as cancer causing.

Did you know the smell of cooked bacon is also carcinogenic? Again, the concentration of the carcinogenic is so small it's not worth mentioning. I only mention it because if you were worried about burned food you might as well be worried about the smell of bacon, silly isn't it?

I would use foil myself and change it each time and probably do a clean every week.

• Advertisement

In fairness if we were to dodge every carcinogenic out there we would be living fairly sheltered life. Also, your intake of charred / burned food in this way would be so negligible it would not be worth measuring.

Completely disagree, if you are cooking in a dirty grill you are coating your food in dirty burnt bits. And you will have a cumulative effect if you are always eating dirty grill food. Why eat carcinogenic food if you dont have to?

Sure - we dont have to dodge every carcinogenic - but you could say that as a reason for doing anything. Ultimately Id rather dodge those that I can (and especially those that come from a dirty stinky grill).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

:eek: I'm really gobsmacked.

How hard is it to whip the tinfoil off the grill, scrunch it up and pop it in the bin? :confused:

Ah. Id never cook anything like that. I guess frozen pizzas or crispy pancake type things too - yeah, I dont eat processed food like that (not meaning to sound snobby about it! - it just doesnt agree with me). I guess any dry item like that is fine and I wouldnt be scrubbing the grill afterwards.

You said you would do the scrape and boiling water "just to clean it up" - I assumed you meant between weekly cleans, so I was just saying that imo the scrape and boiling water is a basic clean - so really you are cleaning it more than once weekly in that case, but maybe deep cleaning it once weekly and basic cleaning it with the boiling water - which is grand, its the hardened fats that smell in it and are unhygienic.

After each use it should have at least a boiling water and scrape out.

I hate cleaning the grill btw, it doesnt fit into the sink so I have to scrub it half in, half out - but it is such a stinky thing otherwise that Id rather scrub it after each use then leave it. Plus I hate food cooked with bits of old food splashing up. Even if it was used in the same day twice I would clean it each time.

The problem in a house share is that if you do not enforce cleaning it each time its used you will get people who just never clean it - rendering it unusable for the rest of us.

Different people have different views, I can understand that, there are certain things which people consider absolutes, so Id say there is an amount of striking a happy medium and then some definite no no's.

Id be particular about things being cleaned, but if they dont get used frequently then lesser cleaning is required, although Id still consider there is a timeframe when certain things just need to be done.
    Processed foods can disagree with me but I still like to treat myself, (bacon) but sausages are mostly out and frozen food I just dont use that much except for a backup where there is no time.
    The line in the sand for me is if people used the toilet without washing their hands and then went about the place, especially cooking food and also careless with raw meat. In comparison the grill isnt too bad and relatively easy and quick to sort.
    You cant account for all things or you'd have to decide to not live with people at all.

The line in the sand for me is if people used the toilet without washing their hands and then went about the place, especially cooking food and also careless with raw meat. In comparison the grill isnt too bad and relatively easy and quick to sort.
    You cant account for all things or you'd have to decide to not live with people at all.

You are right of course, and I must admit, I have found house shares difficult in the past because I do not like the kitchen being left dirty or a bathroom being left dirty - both of which as shared areas suffer a lot from the "someone else will do it" problem (im sure there is a word for it?).

You actually dont usually know if people are washing their hands or not after using the toilet!

In terms of shared living space though my line in the sand is people being disrespectful by not cleaning up after themselves in shared areas. I dont really care if you dont change your own bed clothes but dont leave the grill or oven or bath or toilet dirty because then when i come along I would have to clean up your mess before I can use them.

Despite my berating Alannah Low Bimbo about the grill habits, I actually think he/she has the patience of a saint to live with people who dont clean up after themselves - I simply couldnt do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

There's obviously a certain standard to which things like kitchens and bathrooms have to be maintained to but it doesn't strike me as the automatic right of the person most exacting on this front to decide the standards everyone else ought to maintain.

If one housemate is happy enough to cook food in a grill cleaned once or twice a week but you want it scrubbed before you will use it then clean away.

If you have an aversion to using something that's not in a very particular state then realistically that's a you problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Out of interest how often do you clean the airfryer? Its says you are supposed to clean it after every use but its a painful job cleaning it so I usually clean it about every 2 weeks, which is about 4 uses or so as I don't use it everyday.
    We have powerhose pressure out of our taps so I usually just blast it with that while its still red hot and then leave it, only myself using it though. I suppose I shouldnt be putting the grease straight down the plughole.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,485 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

if your not going to be sound and become my mate and drink with housemates and have dinner together and craic , don't move in with people. Go live on your own. 'mates' is an essential part of housemates.

God you sound awful, I'm a grown man with my own life, don't be relying on me to fill some yearning for a BFF that you seem to have. I bet you are the type that doesn't respect any privacy either, you probably think that a housemate is your best mate so you're in his room everyday going through his stuff.

There is a long sliding scale between a shut in that you never meet and your new best buddy that never leaves your side. I'd far rather have a quiet but friendly housemate that respects boundaries than some maniac who thinks we should be sitting down to dinner together.

Also, tinfoil costs about 1.50 in tesco, who the **** uses the same tinfoil twice? Use it then bin it ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭stuboy01

I think as well, that its important to think about having some time where the guest isn't over at weekends. As an example, if you say to someone "two nights" and the guest is over Friday and Saturday night, it means that you never really get any downtime over the weekend as the guest is always there.

Just something that I've noticed in the past.

For the person to have the guest over midweek is less intrusive as you'll probably be at work during the day and might be at training or a class in the evening. whereas if they are there all weekend, every weekend, it'll get old pretty quickly, though technically they are only there two nights.

Never two weekends in a row...Sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

Whats such a nightmare about it? I think as houseshares go its a pretty ok setup with having common areas to myself almost all of the time and very rarely having to juggle the kitchen etc.

I can go a few weeks without being in the same room as one of my housemates, at times it can sort of feel like I do live on my own.
    I lived in places where I didn't like my housemates and it was terrible, I didn't stay very long, life's too short for that.
    As for house parties etc, don't really do them much as we are more into going to pubs etc or if we are doing something we would go to the houses of people who don't share as its much easier.
    You can do both, I regularly spent whole weekends out in pubs with my housemates. Great memories, I still meet up for occasional reunions with many of them. We still had great big house parties too, good times.
    When I have organised things in houseshares I've been in I have given a heads up to people and they almost always went home for the weekend or made plans so they weren't in the house when I had all my friends over and vice versa I'd head away if they were organising something
    Any time I had friends stay over, my housemates didn't feel the need to leave the house. There were just more people to go partying with. Same with their friends staying over, more the merrier.
    Does everyone not line the grill tray with tinfoil, you would have to be cleaning it after every few uses if you didn't rather than just change the foil? How does it splash anymore than the the tray itself splashes?
    I used to do this in my younger years, I would never leave stale grease and food in a grill now, we have a barbeque for that.

• Advertisement

Jamsiek wrote: »
    I lived in places where I didn't like my housemates and it was terrible, I didn't stay very long, life's too short for that.

I didn't say I don't like my housemates, they are ok aside from some annoying things they do but we would be friendly times our paths do cross however in general we all like to keep to ourselves which suits me perfectly.

I don't know why someone would prefer going home in the evening to a living room with two or three people, making small talk and having to be asking "is there anything you would like to watch" when you have things you want to watch yourself rather than coming home to an empty living room every evening and lying across the couch with full control of the tv until you go to bed.

Advertisement