Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Flatmate Charter

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭April 73

Having read through the last few pages about people's varying standards of grill cleanliness, I am quite certain that a psychiatrist could make quite a few extrapolations about personality types based on grill cleaning habits & attitude towards tinfoil.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

Sparking this debate was not my intention but here we are.
    I think it's disgusting not to line the grill tray with tin foil to be perfectly honest. Why on earth would it make a kitchen smellier to have the tray lined.

You'd be outside the back door with a kick in my home house if you even thought about using the grill without tin foil so it's drilled into me and I have to say I couldn't imagine using the grill without it. Cleaning the grill is a bit of a pain of a job so I change the tinfoil after a few uses and that's it saves big time on the washing.

I can honestly say that the kick would not be necessary as I would already be gone. I would hate to live with you.
    Because people who line the tray with tin foil dont wash it after each use so the accumulated fats, bits of food, burnt bits collect in the tin foil and stink as they rot. They get heated up and spread that gross smell for each use and new food waste collects on top of the old.

On top of that you are cooking food on top of food waste that gets heated and splashes up on the food. Plus those who line with tin foil never wash the wire rack so old bits of previously cooked food stick to it and stick to the next food cooked on it.

Its really disgusting, its the same as eating off a dirty plate repeatedly.

My family did it growing up too which is how I know all too well how gross and disgusting it is.

The grill tray and wire rack need to be washed after each use (unless you just do something dry in there like toast).

You sir, might just be my kindred spirit.
    Thargor wrote: »

Come join the Philips Airfryer Master Race over in our thread in Food and Drink anyone who's sick of manky shared grills/ovens :P

Sounds good, often see them come up in BA so maybe time to invest in one.
    April 73 wrote: »
    Who knew grill cleaning could spark such debate?!

There is always time for more debate.

MrMorooka wrote: »
    The manual for my oven says not to use tin foil because it can catch on fire.

Although this is true, and it destroyed our kitchen counter years ago when some went on fire, I think it is sometimes easier to explain things like this than giving the real reason such as it is just gross.
    Health hazard?

In the grand scheme of things, no this is not even remotely a health hazard.
    You are aware that burnt bits are carcinogenic right? And that you might not see the effects of that in your body immediately?

Yes, and the things before they were burnt as well as everything else I eat, drink, smell, look at, put in my body. Everything in life nowadays is carcinogenic and if you worry too much about it you will give yourself a stroke.

Final thing to say is that if you were ment to use tin foil to line the inside of an oven the designers would have made it easier to cover the things with it.

Frynge wrote: »

Final thing to say is that if you were ment to use tin foil inside an oven the designers would have made it easier to cover things with it.

Surely cooking is one of the main uses for tin foil? I'd say 90% of my tinfoil use is lining the grill or covering/wrapping things I'm cooking in the oven.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

Surely cooking is one of the main uses for tin foil? I'd say 90% of my tinfoil use is lining the grill or covering/wrapping things I'm cooking in the oven.

Ye, sorry I have edited my post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

I didn't say I don't like my housemates, they are ok aside from some annoying things they do but we would be friendly times our paths do cross however in general we all like to keep to ourselves which suits me perfectly.
    OK, I got the impression you were avoiding them so assumed you didn't like them very much
    I don't know why someone would prefer going home in the evening to a living room with two or three people, making small talk and having to be asking "is there anything you would like to watch" when you have things you want to watch yourself rather than coming home to an empty living room every evening and lying across the couch with full control of the tv until you go to bed.
    I wouldn't like that either but thankfully it has never been an issue with me as I don't watch much TV. I don't like small talk so I agree with you there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    Eugh, even with tinfoil, you still to clean the pan, fat always seeps through to the pan. Now, foil helps in that you can lift a lot of the fat away before cleaning but the grill still needs to be cleaned.

You put the foil over the raised tray, turn it to cook both side and replace after every use. Fatty foods can be cooked on George Forman grills that drain the fat off or pyrex dishes and should be cleaned after every use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

Don't use my butter and then replace it with spread. They're not the same!

Same with replacing something like Ben and Jerry's ice cream with Tesco everyday value vanilla ice cream.

I had aa problem with a housemate who thought we shared food, the problem was she had nothing of interest I wanted and was always helping herself to anything sweet I had even asking if I had anything else when she finished something of mine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Potatoeman wrote: »
    You put the foil over the raised tray, turn it to cook both side and replace after every use. Fatty foods can be cooked on George Forman grills that drain the fat off or pyrex dishes and should be cleaned after every use.

Yes, that's what I do.

Advertisement