Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attic Insulation Recommendations

Options
  • 07-12-2015 4:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭

I am looking at buying a new house, it is a bungalow and is about 290sq metres. I had a look in attic on viewing and there is a thin layer of fibre glass insulation. The house is heated via oil & stove and is an older bungalow then with 2 extensions added on

Just from looking at it I know it is going to be a bit of a battle to heat it. I know the quickest way to try and fix is to fully insulate the attic.

My original plan was maybe look at foam insulation as seen a lot of good stuff on web but I had builder looking at house and he wasn't sold on it. Said it could cause problems with roof longer term by not allow it to breath and also if there is a leak you might not know about it till the roof is rotten?

So wondering what are the option? Is rolling out loads of fibre glass still good? I would want one of the section floored out but I suppose I could raise the floor for insulation.....

If foam is sprayed between the rafter are you then heating the attic space so are you better spraying between joists?

Is the spray on paper any good?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭JonathonS

Roll material is the lowest cost and a very effective way of insulating. You will need to take out whats there and replace with a 300mm depth of new material, usually 100mm between the joists and 200mm above them. You may have to lengthen any elec cables to take them above the insulation, and protect downlighters. You will also have to build a walkway to the water tank(s) and any storage areas. Govt grant available if done professionally, DIY will save you money.

Foam between the joists is not an option. If you spray between the rafters you are taking on the building of a warm attic, a more complex and much more expensive project.

The paper stuff is very expensive to install, and to my mind is open to be blown around and make a mess afterwards.

There are plenty of threads on Boards about all of the above, have a read. Finally, before you start to do anything about the insulation read up on air tightness.

Advertisement