Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Additional fees returning to third level?

Options
  • 07-12-2015 6:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭

I am currently in third level but I will be withdrawing and it says "If you withdraw after 31st of October and return to full time third level education in the future you may be liable for additional fees"

I do not qualify for any grants so what additional fees would I be charged?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭OriginV

Anyone have any info on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Tuition fees for the course. Currently you don't pay any fees under the free fees initiative. You have only paid a student contribution fee (and perhaps a student services charge). The government covers the actual tuition fees for the course, but they only do this once.

If you withdraw after 31st October you are liable for 50% of tuition fees upon your return to third level education.
    If you withdraw after 31st January you are liable for 100% of tuition fees upon your return to third level education.

Obviously this only applies to the year(s) you have completed. The actual cost can be found by contacting the fees office or usually on the college website.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭OriginV

Tuition fees for the course. Currently you don't pay any fees under the free fees initiative. You have only paid a student contribution fee (and perhaps a student services charge). The government covers the actual tuition fees for the course, but they only do this once.

If you withdraw after 31st October you are liable for 50% of tuition fees upon your return to third level education.
    If you withdraw after 31st January you are liable for 100% of tuition fees upon your return to third level education.

Obviously this only applies to the year(s) you have completed. The actual cost can be found by contacting the fees office or usually on the college website.

Thank you for that, I have emailed the colleges I hope to be attending about fees, Would you have any idea of the fee costs for tuition?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Tuition fees are different for every course in every college. Without knowing which course or college it's impossible to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 shau_h

Hi know I'm a bit late here but I really need the help,
    Basically I dropped out of NUIG first year arts, I didn't sit my summer repeats so I have now decided to take a gap year. I hope to go to GMIT next year (September 2017) and I was wondering what fees do I have to pay like is there any additional fees I will have to pay on top of my student contribution and levy?i got a grant last year for NUIG which covered my fees which I know will not cover next years fees but I was just wondering when I go to GMIT will I just have to pay my student contribution charge or will I get stuck with extra fees!
    Thanks a million.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭SouthernBelle

shau_h wrote: »
    Hi know I'm a bit late here but I really need the help,
    Basically I dropped out of NUIG first year arts, I didn't sit my summer repeats so I have now decided to take a gap year. I hope to go to GMIT next year (September 2017) and I was wondering what fees do I have to pay like is there any additional fees I will have to pay on top of my student contribution and levy?i got a grant last year for NUIG which covered my fees which I know will not cover next years fees but I was just wondering when I go to GMIT will I just have to pay my student contribution charge or will I get stuck with extra fees!
    Thanks a million.

If you did a full year in NUIG, you'll have to pay full tuition fees, as well as student contribution for 1st year of your new course. Also, unfortunately it's unlikely that you'll get the SUSI grant in 1st year again, as they already covered first year for you.

Advertisement