Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Girlfriend Doesn't Want Kitten

• 07-12-2015 7:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭

To cut a long story short my girlfriend has talked about getting a cat for months and recently for her birthday I got her one, a lovely little Russian Blue. It seems the reality of owning one doesn't really match up with her idea of it. So it looks like we're going to have to get rid of the kitten now which is going to be quite hard for me(both personally and financially considering I paid €600 for the kitten).

My problem is that I really want her to go to a loving home and I fear because I'm prepared to heavily discount the price of a pedigree cat that people on sites like DoneDeal will be more attracted to the bargain than the actual cat. Is there any alternatives to selling her through sites like this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 GoodKill

With an attitude like hers, I'd find your girlfriend somewhere else to live instead of the kitten. Disgusting way to behave.

As for what to do with the cat - is money that important in comparison to the life the cat will get? Give it away to the best home possible if you can, even for free. You could put it up for adoption either.

The cat deserves a loving home. It didn't ask to be bought for 600e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Sorry to hear this, your first port of call should be to talk to the breeder that you purchased the kitten from. Any breeder worth their salt would take the kitten back so they could rehome themselves. Unfortunately it will probably leave you out of pocket but it's better than the kitten falling into the wrong hands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Kind of why pets as gifts are a bad idea, people change their minds, sorry you had to learn this the hard way!

Contacting the breeder you got the kitten from would be my first port of call.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭simdan

How old is the kitten, poor thing! How long has she owned it? My wife might like it..

N.B.
    Cats and kittens are pretty much potty trained from birth, so nothing like a puppy or a baby to look after. Maybe you need to get a new girlfriend man..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

what's with all the hate for the girlfriend ,
    how many people have wanted something when they seen one at someone's house then the reality of having one sets in and they realise its not for them. animals are like that.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Second Toughest in_the Freshers

€600 for a kitten tho'

what's with all the hate for the girlfriend , how many people have wanted something when they seen one at someone's house then the reality of having one sets in and they realise its not for them. animals are like that.

No, they are an important choice/life changer. You need to be sure you want and can look after the animal for several years ahead. Cats and dogs are companions and you need to research an awful lot before making the decision to get one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Harvey Low Fat Milk

Look, the criticisms of my girlfriend are wide of the mark, it was my decision to buy the kitten and not hers so her reaction to the kitten is not her fault just as its not the fault of the kitten. So please direct your criticisms at me as the blame lies squarely on my shoulders, thanks for your answers. I'll contact the breeders about the situation, thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

To cut a long story short my girlfriend has talked about getting a cat for months and recently for her birthday I got her one, a lovely little Russian Blue. It seems the reality of owning one doesn't really match up with her idea of it. So it looks like we're going to have to get rid of the kitten now which is going to be quite hard for me(both personally and financially considering I paid €600 for the kitten).

My problem is that I really want her to go to a loving home and I fear because I'm prepared to heavily discount the price of a pedigree cat that people on sites like DoneDeal will be more attracted to the bargain than the actual cat. Is there any alternatives to selling her through sites like this?

It's not a product, just find a good home for it.

€600 for a kitten tho'

Most pure breed kittens are at least 600euro.

Check out done deal

Maine coon
    British shorthair
    Persian
    Russian blue etc..

• Advertisement

Saipanne wrote: »
    It's not a product, just find a good home for it.

I'm fully aware of that, that is my intention but as I stated I don't want the bargain of a free or close to free pedigree kitten being the deciding factor in someone taking her. My question was in regards to an alternative that would mean the home she's going to is a good one.

I'm fully aware of that, that is my intention but as I stated I don't want the bargain of a free or close to free pedigree kitten being the deciding factor in someone taking her. My question was in regards to an alternative that would mean the home she's going to is a good one.

How old is the kitten?

simdan wrote: »
    How old is the kitten?

She's 6 months old.

No, they are an important choice/life changer. You need to be sure you want and can look after the animal for several years ahead. Cats and dogs are companions and you need to research an awful lot before making the decision to get one.

that's my point exactly.
    she thought she wanted a cat. probably because she saw them at friends or families homes and thought these are lovely. but she didn't go about getting one , her BF did. if she was going to get one she probably would have researched more

don't worry . I am a dog person.
    I look after my neighbours dog when she is a work late. she loves cuddling up on the couch watching tv

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Fieldsman

600 for a kitten.......fools and their money very ....

She's 6 months old.

Ok, almost an adult, Cats are clever and learn so much in the first few months. Do you have any pics?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭pawrick

Maybe consider having the cat spayed or neutered before rehomeing, it will mean most people only interested in being backyard breeders will avoid your ad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

pawrick wrote: »
    Maybe consider having the cat spayed or neutered before rehomeing, it will mean most people only interested in being backyard breeders will avoid your ad.

Most breeders won't sell a kitten to you unneutered.

OP, if you're more interested in rehomeing the cat rather than selling then please speak to the breeder about taking it back. I would avoid websites to "sell" the cat

I've just spoken to a friend who's talking to his wife about taking the kitten, they have a 3 year old cat already and are devoted to it. He's not sure if his wife will want a second cat but he definitely does, he's met the kitten a few times and is fairly besotted with it so this would be pretty much the perfect resolution to the situation for us. If they decide against it then I'll be returning her to the breeder, thanks for the constructive help.

I've just spoken to a friend who's talking to his wife about taking the kitten, they have a 3 year old cat already and are devoted to it. He's not sure if his wife will want a second cat but he definitely does, he's met the kitten a few times and is fairly besotted with it so this would be pretty much the perfect resolution to the situation for us. If they decide against it then I'll be returning her to the breeder, thanks for the constructive help.

Good luck man! Glad you found a home for her.

Your account closed pretty quick though..

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Notavirus.exe

Your account closed pretty quick though..

He probably doesn't want his girlfriend accessing his account and seeing how much he spent on the kitten. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Another discussion board I'm on automatically replaces the naughty words. The replacement for "sh1t" is "kitten".

Naturally the title of this thread threw me then :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Bonedigger

what's with all the hate for the girlfriend ,
    how many people have wanted something when they seen one at someone's house then the reality of having one sets in and they realise its not for them. animals are like that.

This situation isn't the kitten's fault! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Raised Eyebrow

Also please wait until after Christmas before re homing her to avoid her ending up in the situation in a few months time

Bonedigger wrote: »
    This situation isn't the kitten's fault! :rolleyes:

who said its the kittens fault.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

As the op has closed his account, I'm closing this thread.
    Once again, a new user closes their account because others can't rein it in and post in a respectful manner towards each other. You don't have to agree with each other, but bitchy posts will not be tolerated here.
    Thanks,
    DBB

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement