Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Napro v traditional fertility clinics

• 07-12-2015 7:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭

hi folks,

I know you can't post medical advice here, and I'm not looking for any, just a bit of an understanding between the difference between Napro and regular fertility clinics. We are a year TTC now post MC (weren't TTC when we got pregnant on MC), so next step will be a clinic in the new year.

I have heard good things about Napro through friends of friends (but have never spoken to anyone directly) and in life in general I prefer to go the natural route ahead of a more medical route. My GP would prefer something more traditional (if that's a word you can use for fertility treatment!!) and has suggested Repromed. She thinks that while Napro can be good a lot of people can waste up to a year of valuable clock ticking time with it.

Anyway, I'd love to hear stories from people who have tried either or both and how they found it - emotionally, financially, physically, etc... before we make any decisions! As I said, not looking for medical advice, just some info to help us with such an important decision!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Thumpette

Heya, I've been doing Napro for around 6 months now- the last 3 medicated. I'm not pregnant yet so my recommendations are tempered with that fact! So far they are really struggling to get my hormones right and just seem to be trying different things every month.

What I like about it

1- Hope every month rather than the 'all or nothing' pressure of IVF
    2- they look to fix the route cause- i hope to conceive more than once and I like that the investigation work will be done so I'll not be back to square one.
    3- it's still expensive but less so than IVF
    4- it's quite empowering to learn so much about your body

What I don't like

1- not into their religiousness (tho it's rarely mentioned)
    2- I'm not pregnant!
    3- it does feel frustratingly slow. The first consultation they made me write the year at the top of the page saying 'you wouldn't believe how quickly the years go in'!

Good luck whatever way you go. 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭kkcatlou

Thanks a million for your reply! Really helpful.

I didn't realise Napro had a religious angle, that would put me off too! But I do like keeping hope every month and the fact that you make long term changes that will impact you next time. Right now, the all your eggs in one basket (literaly!!) approach with IVF is a bit daunting, plus I'm still hoping that since we got pregnant once without trying we should be able to get pregnant again naturally...

Won't do anything til the new year anyway. Lots to think about...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 409 ✭✭the_sonandmoon

FWIW, my friend had 3 kids (very easily). She wanted a 4th. She was getting pregnant, but kept miscarrying. She started on NAPRO and was pregnant in around a year. She now has a happy and healthy 4 year old.

Advertisement