Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exit Stage Left . . . Neil Peart announces his retirement

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,817 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

saw him in 2011 in the 3arena with rush. epic drummer hope he enjoys his retirement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

That's a pity, but he's had an incredible career and I guess I'm just glad to have seen Rush live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

I'm lucky to have seen them live here a few years ago. It was a phenomenal gig and to think if I'd have skipped it I would probably never have seen them.

They've been on the road for a long time, and with the health issues it's not that surprising. To be fair, they said this was probably going to be their last tour, so they made it all the way pretty much. Long lived, creative, and successful careers.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Bloody hell, devastated. Was lucky to see them 5 times. Greatest drummer ever. Good writer too. Phenomenal band.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,459 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Boooooooooooooo!

Gutted that won't get s chance to see him again. He deserves his retirement though, the man has settled the standard for rock drumming. To challenge one self at that stage of a career and then go on to more success shows how good he is/was.

Enjoy it Neil, a very much deserved time!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Not a surprise but sad none the less. Honoured to have seen them live.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭vapor trails

Officially at this stage it seems as if it's Neil retiring but I think we can pretty much consider it as Rush's end too. The greatest rock bank of all time. Only got into them Around 10 years ago but I can safely say I have listened to every rock band on the planet. They were the best

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,629 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Noooooo :(

Saw them live in 2011 too. Great performance. And agree that this is the end of Rush.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Exclusive: Rush mainman says drummer was merely confirming his position on touring, Neil HASN'T retired.
    There’s really nothing to say. I think Neil is just explaining his reasons for not wanting to tour, with the toll that it’s taking on his body. That’s all I would care to comment on it.

Says Neils comments were taken out of context

http://classicrock.teamrock.com/news/2015-12-08/geddy-lee-insists-neil-peart-hasn-t-retired

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,029 ✭✭✭✭bnt

A new interview with Alex & Geddy basically confirms that we've seen the last Rush tour:
    Alex: I think right now we don't have any plans for anything. Keep in mind that we had a year and a half off after the Clockwork Angels Tour. We didn't talk about anything to do with the band in a year and a half. I think we're just in a stage now where we're just kind of taking some time, reconnecting with our families and friends and pursuing some other interests, and having some fun really. I know Geddy and I love writing together. We've been doing it since we were young teenagers. I'd like to think that we'll do it until we're very old men instead of just "mostly" old men.

Geddy: For Neil it's become too hard. And that's a phrase he likes to use. To play for 3 hours, to play the way we feel is being "Rush" - the way Rush plays a 3-hour show that's very complicated. That has taken its physical toll on his body. During the course of any of the last few tours he's gone through periods that he's having problems. Whether it's tendonitis or whether it's some other thing. So I think for him it's enough. He can't go through all that again. That's gonna dictate obviously what performing live is going to mean for Rush. And whether that happens or not - I can't really say at this point.

Alex: Neil's in a great headspace now. He's really enjoying his life and feels great. He's spending a lot of time with his daughter and his family. And doing the things that he loves to do, with his health intact. That's a very positive thing.
    That doesn't mean the end of Rush as a band, though - just the end of touring. Hey, if The Beatles could get away with that ..?

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Like you said if The Beatles could get away with not touring then so can Rush. And if they continue to do studio records, fans will still rush (sorry) to buy said records..

Just gutted I missed the chance to see them in Dublin in 2011.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

Sounds to me like they are just talking about touring.
    Geddy and Alex are still happy to write, which is great news, and hopefully Neil wouldn't mind recording if they do write a new album.

I am so glad I went to see them in 2011 now.

This special theatre event of RUSH | Time Stand Still, narrated by Paul Rudd, provides an intimate look into the band’s sold-out final (“R40”) tour and the unique relationship we have with our fans.

didnt even knw about this. the last movie about them 'Beyond the lighted stage' was pretty good and i hope this is equally as good

DVD/Blu ray out Nov 18th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,869 ✭✭✭RayCon

^ It's getting screened in cinemas in the US & Canada for one day only - hopefully cinemas (or a cinema) does the same here (they did for Beyond The Lighted Stage):cool:

— Kingsley Amis

A Rolling Stone magazine journo got a preview of the doc, and wrote up 10 things he learned from it. That there will be no more touring is already known, but at this time it's unclear whether Rush is even a thing any more.

From my point of view, Geddy's voice problems are just as much of an obstruction to touring as the ailments of the other guys. He's been badly "overblowing" his voice on recent tours, which is both a symptom and a cause of problems. We hear none of that in the studio, only live, and it can be related to fatigue too. Either way, it makes recent tour recordings hard to listen to, for me.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

bnt wrote:
    From my point of view, Geddy's voice problems are just as much of an obstruction to touring as the ailments of the other guys. He's been badly "overblowing" his voice on recent tours, which is both a symptom and a cause of problems. We hear none of that in the studio, only live, and it can be related to fatigue too. Either way, it makes recent tour recordings hard to listen to, for me.

Yeah, must say I agree with this. Downloaded the last live album R40 and was more than a bit disappointed with the quality of the vocals. Sincerely hope they record again. Obviously tours are out. Just glad I saw them live .

Time Stand still is a top documentary and sad we won't get to see them tour again but delighted I saw them back in 2011

Very underated band

I heard rush first in an episode of Futurama (Tom Sawyer was played while fry battled space Aliens), download a couple of tracks from them and listened to them on and off. Seeing 'I love you man' made me listen to them more, thw bought the documentary 'beyond the lighted stage'and when the Irish date was announced in 2011 I knew I had too go and loved every minute of it (first concert I went to alone too)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Disappointed they won't be touring again but tbh I think it's better they leave it now rather than continue to the point where their shows start suffering. 40 years is pretty damn good going and no one could blame them for pulling the plug now. Delighted that I got to see them here in 2011 and again in London in 2012 so would be greedy to ask for more!

I remember seeing Beyond the Lighted Stage in the cinema when it was out and the atmosphere was great, Rush fans everywhere, people cheering/drinking etc. Looking forward to seeing the new doc, shame it didn't get a cinema release here.

Advertisement