Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

RSJ into Kitchen Extension

• 07-12-2015 8:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭

Could anyone with a bit of experience of similar building work give me a ballpark figure to remove the walls from the middle of this 1-storey kitchen extension and replace with a hidden RSJ or whatever is required. (photos below) The room dimensions are 7.72m x 5.28m.

I assume a structural engineer is required? I've been told the white wall is load-bearing.

All advice much appreciated!

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,128 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

I assume a structural engineer is required?

Yes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭sleepyholland

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Yes!

Thanks.
    If anyone here has had similar work done what did it cost to get to a plastered finish - including skip and all the extras. I appreciate every job is unique but I have no idea how long this kind of work takes or the material costs.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Thanks.
    If anyone here has had similar work done what did it cost to get to a plastered finish - including skip and all the extras. I appreciate every job is unique but I have no idea how long this kind of work takes or the material costs.

3-5k depending on what finish you want back.
    It all hangs on the engineers design.
    He may insist in the bean resting on a channel or column to transfer the loads to the foundations. You cannot yust assume you can punch a pocket in the wall and stick a beam in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭sleepyholland

Thanks you kceire.
    Great to get an estimate no matter how rough.
    I'll get an engineer in now to tell me more.

Advertisement