Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paramedic Enquiry

Options
  • 07-12-2015 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭

Just seen that Limerick are launching the LM103 Paramedic Degree programme in the near future and wondering if anyone could clear up a few things?

1)
    for candidates who already have a level 7 award.
    What course is a level 7? Is this course for pre-paramedics or current paramedics?

2) Are the HSE still going to continue to have the Trainee Paramedic programme or will the training all be done in a college/degree course?

I am starting an EMT course with ESTI soon and hoping to lead into Intermediate Care and then down the line, paramedic. From what I have heard, on occasions there is a paramedic programme available to Intermediate Care workers, is this true?

Would love to hear some input, thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭palmtrees

Unfortunately you must already have the paramedic qualification to enter into this course.

Honestly I've been following this for the last few years and first UCD were to have one in 2014, then it was Sept. 2015 and now it's `yet to be finalised`.

UL have the practitioner entry degree that you mentioned above - its a 1.5 year programme to bring paramedics up to BSc level - it does not afford any more clinical skills to these practitioners, just supplements their education. They have also allegedly been planning an undergraduate degree programme for persons who do not have a paramedic qualification, but this, like the UCD one, is not confirmed yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mightydrumming

palmtrees wrote: »
    Unfortunately you must already have the paramedic qualification to enter into this course.

Honestly I've been following this for the last few years and first UCD were to have one in 2014, then it was Sept. 2015 and now it's `yet to be finalised`.

UL have the practitioner entry degree that you mentioned above - its a 1.5 year programme to bring paramedics up to BSc level - it does not afford any more clinical skills to these practitioners, just supplements their education. They have also allegedly been planning an undergraduate degree programme for persons who do not have a paramedic qualification, but this, like the UCD one, is not confirmed yet.

Ah I had a feeling all right!

Really appreciate that Palmtrees :)

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭palmtrees

All is not lost, however! HSE will be recruiting next year I would imagine, and you will get paid to train to paramedic level then.

Failing that, the CAO route will open eventually, I do think it will be sooner rather than later. Running a paramedic course via the CAO is actually a complicated thing to do, and they would be foolish to rush into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mightydrumming

palmtrees wrote: »
    All is not lost, however! HSE will be recruiting next year I would imagine, and you will get paid to train to paramedic level then.

Failing that, the CAO route will open eventually, I do think it will be sooner rather than later. Running a paramedic course via the CAO is actually a complicated thing to do, and they would be foolish to rush into it.

Excellent!

I'm doing the emt course with esti in a couple of months and in the process of getting the c1 driving licence :) Do the HSE open up for intermediate care in batches or on a need basis? And also is the paramedic training programme available to current Intermediate care workers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Juanito13

Excellent!

I'm doing the emt course with esti in a couple of months and in the process of getting the c1 driving licence :) Do the HSE open up for intermediate care in batches or on a need basis? And also is the paramedic training programme available to current Intermediate care workers?

There is no direct route from ICO to paramedic at the moment. ICO's apply through the normal recruitment process.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Leannes93

Hi,
    I am wondering about entry requirements for paramedics..
    I am doing my c1 full now and I am an efr and an active member of the red cross for 15 years now..
    I did not do science in my leaving cert but I did a fetac level 5 nursing studies course 5 years ago in which I got all distinctions and one of the subjects was anatompy and physiology.
    Does anyone know if that will count in place.of me not doing a science subject?

Advertisement