Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Rathmines Womens Refuge Run 2015

• 07-12-2015 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭

Toy-Run-2015_LR1.jpg

Hi folks, noticed this wasn't up here yet and a few boardsies always attend, hoping you can all make this years run.

Evening folks, delighted to say the run will be going ahead this year, Dublin Harley Davidson have again offered to allow people drop in presents in the week leading up to the Run, and also allow us use them as the start point for the run.

We'll be meeting from 11am with a strict departure time of 12:30pm.

We'll proceed down the M50, on to the Summit Inn to deforst, then on to the Refuge in Rathmines to hand deliver all the presents.

A number of people have contacted us and are running collections in their businesses/workplaces for both toys for kids (wrapped and marked with age and boy/girl) and for shoeboxes containing toiletries for the mums.

This is a great idea and we'd encourage anyone else who can, to do the same. All gifts can be dropped up to Dublin Harley-Davidson, Ireland in the week before the run (so from Monday the 14th of Dec on).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

This is a brilliant run to take in.. And sadly this year we won't be lead by the late Aidan Lynam R.I.P.

Aidan was one of the founders of this run 22 years ago and will be very sadly missed by us all, I can hardly believe he won't be making his usual safety brief and slagging off.

I've a blown rear shock on my bike atm (looking like there's gonna be a new bike in 2016 for me) but I'm still hoping to make it.

This is a brilliant and very rewarding day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

This is gonna be a big rideout,in view of the very sad passing of Adrian.
    Im sure he will be looking down on everyone on the day.
    RIP Adrian.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭KT10

Only 2 days to go folks! Get those pressies wrapped! :)

Anyone heading out for this one tomorrow?.

Its really a very rewarding day, and seeing the joy and merriment on the kids faces as we deliver their presents and they get to meet Santa would bring a tear to a glass eye.

One of the saddest things I remember from the many times I've done this run is one of the ladies who work in the shelter telling me that this is one of the only days of the year that men are allowed into the shelter, and so trumatised are some of the families sheltering there that they've to receive counciling the week we're visiting ~ to prepare the children that the men who are visiting will be good men and are not coming to hurt them.

If you can make it, try.. See you there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,008 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Anyone heading out for this one tomorrow?.

Its really a very rewarding day, and seeing the joy and merriment on the kids faces as we deliver their presents and they get to meet Santa would bring a tear to a glass eye.

One of the saddest things I remember from the many times I've done this run is one of the ladies who work in the shelter telling me that this is one of the only days of the year that men are allowed into the shelter, and so trumatised are some of the families sheltering there that they've to receive counciling the week we're visiting ~ to prepare the children that the men who are visiting will be good men and are not coming to hurt them.

If you can make it, try.. See you there.

Yes. See you there.
    Cmon folks get thee asses out. Super day out.

• Advertisement

I rekon we had 200 bikes out today.The convoy out to Howth was mad.:D

Saint Aidan was looking down on us all today with the weather and probably having a laugh when we were unloading all the presents and handballing them into the refuge.:pac::D

What a fantastic day,great to meet so many people from this site and other sites too.Thanks for being so friendly to me
    Im not too much of a w^nker in real life.:pac::P

Pics to follow soon.:)

Thanks to the team of bike marshals who got us all through Dublin City Centre,out to Howth Summit and back to Rathmines safely and in 1 big long convoy too.Didnt have to stop for a single red light.:)

20151220_121627_zpsomxuergk.jpg

20151220_123433_zpsqn4nt7l8.jpg

20151220_123443_zpspkippafo.jpg

20151220_131517_zps0bvv689t.jpg

20151220_135533_zpshzypxfij.jpg

20151220_143550_zpsofcluist.jpg

20151220_153236_zps1awboi5q.jpg

20151220_153739_zpsnozymu6j.jpg

20151220_155529_zpswq5sk1yk.jpg

This is a brilliant run to take in.. And sadly this year we won't be lead by the late Aidan Lynam R.I.P.

Aidan was one of the founders of this run 22 years ago and will be very sadly missed by us all, I can hardly believe he won't be making his usual safety brief and slagging off.

I've a blown rear shock on my bike atm (looking like there's gonna be a new bike in 2016 for me) but I'm still hoping to make it.

This is a brilliant and very rewarding day.

Good to meet the man behind the Captain America helmet today.:)

Hope your curry/stew didnt go cold on you when I was talking to you.

20151220_122853_zpsvcykeozp.jpg

20151220_122129_zps3n7kefo3.jpg

20151220_153721_zpsqb5yu8iw.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Mutha

Great turnout, well done all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Fair play to all who turned out. Nice tribute to Aidan also......

Video of us all leaving HD Ballymount at 12:30 yesterday.

Few more bikers met up with us along the route down the M50,down the quays to Point Village, and then on out to Clontarf coast road,into Sutton and then Howth.:)

Santa led the way,and no one dared to overtake him,as was made quite explicit during the safety meeting in HD.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭KT10

Santa led the way,and no one dared to overtake him,as was made quite explicit during the safety meeting in HD.

Straight to the top of the naughty list if you did :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

Thanks to the team of bike marshals who got us all through Dublin City Centre,out to Howth Summit and back to Rathmines safely and in 1 big long convoy too.Didnt have to stop for a single red light.:)

Shhh.. We stopped at every red light ;)

I hope next years run is back along the M50 to Howth instead of that terrible ride through Christmas week city gridlock.

Other than that as usual it was a fantastic ride out.

Conor Nolan done a fantastic job as Santa this year.

And seeing Aidan's widow and children planting flowers at the tree planted in his memory brought many to tears.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭D3V!L

I managed to miss out on this one due to a little accident and a broken wrist :(, looked like a great turn out :)

D3V!L wrote: »
    I managed to miss out on this one due to a little accident and a broken wrist :(, looked like a great turn out :)

Sh*t.. Hope the bike is ok man :( :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Sh*t.. Hope the bike is ok man :( :pac:

It is now ;)

It is now ;)

The wrist must suck.

I came off in 1995, broke both elbows and my left wrist.. The elbows healed fine, but the wrist took forever. However after almost a year the bone doc decided NOT to operate and it eventually made a full recovery.

It was a scaphoid fracture.

Get well soon.

Hopw you are on the road to a quick recovery.:)

• Advertisement

I thought going through town was actually good craic.Marshals did a fantastic job all that way out and back.

1 or 2 hairy moments with cars pulling in ontop of the bike convoy on the inside lane on the M50.
    2 BMWs in front of me actually dangerously forcing their way in,when I was backing off to actually allow them in.What is it with BMW car drivers?:rolleyes:

I thought going through town was actually good craic.Marshals did a fantastic job all that way out and back.

1 or 2 hairy moments with cars pulling in ontop of the bike convoy on the inside lane on the M50.
    2 BMWs in front of me actually dangerously forcing their way in,when I was backing off to actually allow them in.What is it with BMW car drivers?:rolleyes:

The M50 works fine.

As for the marshals, I've done it every year I've rode it 'bar this year.. In fact last year I had a pillion and decided at Howth that it was far too dangerous for my pillion so I decided to ride in the pack from Howth to Rathmines.

So yes I can appreciate their work, and they done a superb job yesterday. Flawless actually, but its an unfair burden to put on them next year.

I've a few photos to put up whenever I get the time, a few at the tree shall remain private as it was a difficult time for those of us who knew Aidan to see his young family plant their flowers around his tree.

I'm still choking when I look back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Nodster

A lovely touching gesture from Cathy and the girls who run the Refuge - You'd have to have a heart of stone not to feel the emotion as Cathy spoke so warmly of Aidan

Nodster I just resized that photo and post it here along with a full view of the tree.

372469.JPG

372470.jpg

I'll never forget my brother ringing me that day. I was still sleeping after a night in the Gypsy.. "Have you spoken to any bikers?".. "No, I've been sleeping why".. "Have you been on facebook"... "NO, WHY".. "Aidan has just been killed".

The toy run is always a bitter/sweet day.. Yesterday as we remembered Aidan, more so.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 DaveHumphreys

Sorry I couldn't make it this year, a fantastic cause and long may it continue.

Advertisement