Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway to Ballinrobe, possible to commute?

Options
  • 07-12-2015 10:00pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just looking on Google and it's estimating about an hour for Galway to Ballinrobe, just wondering is that anyway realistic for daily commuting?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭O.A.P

Yes lots of people do that and more everyday .
    There are major roadwork's between Headford and Galway at the moment though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Have a mate who does it daily. Wouldn't like it myself but it's not the worst commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

It's not too bad. Traffic coming in the Headford road can be rough at peak times - you'll see plenty of people taking a right/left at Ballindooley Cross to avoid the worst of it. Without traffic you'd easily make it to Dunnes in Terryland, say, in 40mins.

The upgrade to the Headford-Corrandulla stretch will really make a difference to the quality of the road (hopefully). That's the nastiest stretch on the route. Be sure to go via Glencorrib-Cross-The Neale: even though the Shrule-Kilmaine road is the N-route, the Glencorrib route is a much better road.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

You're going FROM Galway to Ballinrobe in the morning?...should be sound. Traffic isn't bad heading out that way. All of the traffic is coming into the city. I'd say it would take you about 45 minutes or there abouts....

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭witnessrenegade

I drive Castlebar to Galway most days in just over an hour, I leave home between 6 and half 6 in the morning though, any later and your getting caught in terrible traffic, I don't mind the drive, have to take the diversion this week because of road closures which is adding a small bit to the commute

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭topcat77

I lived in Galway (Renmore) and worked in Ballinrobe for 3years and found it no big problem. Was Approx 1.5hr round trip. biggest problem was getting back into Galway in the afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

What time will you be starting work in Ballinrobe? Leaving Galway for Ballinrobe is easy most mornings, literally no traffic if you're not leaving it too late. The road itself is grand, not a bad drive. As someone has mentioned, when you come into Headford continue straight (the National road to Ballinrobe is to the right but avoid that road) and you have a clear run throught the villages of Glencorrib, Cross and The Neale before you hit Ballinrobe.

Advertisement