Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Second Mortgage advice

• 07-12-2015 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi All
    Need some advice on 2nd mortgage , currently have a tracker mortgage 1.6% above ecb. 200k remaining, current house value would be around the same 200-210k. Thinking about buying a second property that suits our needs better , and wanted to rent out the first property, combined salaries of 105k per year public service , 30k in savings and banking around 1500 per month in savings. No big loans or credit card debt just 2 kids and normal household expenses.

My question is how much are we likely to get approval for in terms of a mortgage, would it be just 3.5 times the combined salary, and would the existing 200k mortgage be subtracted from that figure or would I get some allowance for renting out the first property.

I'm just wondering if there is any options for me at present instead of selling current home , as I've paid 13 years into the mortgage and I'd like to keep it as a rental if possible.

Any help or advice is appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

My advice would be go see a mortgage broker to talk through your options mortgage wise. Secondly do the maths around renting out your current home and the rent you'll get versus the costs including tax. With such a low mortgage rate you could end up paying out more in tax and the mortgage than you make on the rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Boxtrot

bee06 wrote: »
    My advice would be go see a mortgage broker to talk through your options mortgage wise. Secondly do the maths around renting out your current home and the rent you'll get versus the costs including tax. With such a low mortgage rate you could end up paying out more in tax and the mortgage than you make on the rent.
    Thanks bee but I was kinda hoping to get some advice before speaking to the mortgage broker , incase I was creating false hope!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 268 ✭✭Little Bubbles

Boxtrot wrote:
    I'm just wondering if there is any options for me at present instead of selling current home , as I've paid 13 years into the mortgage and I'd like to keep it as a rental if possible.

Boxtrot wrote:
    My question is how much are we likely to get approval for in terms of a mortgage, would it be just 3.5 times the combined salary, and would the existing 200k mortgage be subtracted from that figure or would I get some allowance for renting out the first property.

Boxtrot wrote:
    Hi All Need some advice on 2nd mortgage , currently have a tracker mortgage 1.6% above ecb. 200k remaining, current house value would be around the same 200-210k. Thinking about buying a second property that suits our needs better , and wanted to rent out the first property, combined salaries of 105k per year public service , 30k in savings and banking around 1500 per month in savings. No big loans or credit card debt just 2 kids and normal household expenses.

Boxtrot wrote:

We're going through same situation. We're on a lot less combined salary but had over 50k savings. We had similar mortgage you have. We went with kbc. Started first week in September and still ongoing. Just received our formal letter today. There is a lot of waiting and phone calls so be prepared for all that. Just make sure ye have a good saving history.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Trish56

Hi Boxtrot,
    You should be able to borrow up to - the lesser of 80% of the purchase price of the new property or 3.5% times joint income. Your existing mortgage will not be deducted from this amount. All lenders treat rental properties differently however majority will take into consideration the rental income and will stress test your tracker mortgage.

Your biggest problem might be coming up with the 20% deposit as 30k would only cover a purchase price of 150k. It is also possible for you to sell your existing property and bring your tracker rate on the existing balance plus 1% to the new property depending on your present lender.
    Trish
    Boxtrot wrote: »
    Hi All
    Need some advice on 2nd mortgage , currently have a tracker mortgage 1.6% above ecb. 200k remaining, current house value would be around the same 200-210k. Thinking about buying a second property that suits our needs better , and wanted to rent out the first property, combined salaries of 105k per year public service , 30k in savings and banking around 1500 per month in savings. No big loans or credit card debt just 2 kids and normal household expenses.

Advertisement