Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pricing Block Layers

Options
  • 07-12-2015 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭

Hi

I'm currently trying to price a brickie but not sure whats involved.....

I heard the going rate around the area I wish to build is 60/70c a block.

I have no idea what this should or does usually include. Basically all I know is that is doesn't include materials and that the block work for the footings is usually a bit less per block.

The build would consist of a standard cavity wall with insulation.

Does the blocklayer employ his own labourer at the 60/70c a block rate?

The house will have a precast concrete 1st floor. (Which I imagine would make things easier for the blocklayer doing the work.)

When it comes to sills, lintels and insulation between the cavity walls would these normally be extra?

Other than the materials and price per block what else should I budget for?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭893bet

A block layers price will usually include fitting windowsills, lentils and insulation if you have told them that they are doing it.

Are you going with insulation board in cavity. If so then it's a very important detail to get right. A snot of concrete between two boards will cause a huge thermal loop and reduce performance massively.

I paid around 1 euro block. They fitted lens/window cills but no insulation as I pumped the cavity. There was around 6000 blocks and it took two guys the bones of six weeks. They made a wage and that was it. At 60cent a block they would have been working for less than min wage.

Meet a Blocklayer with a good reputation and pay them accordingly especially if you are getting the Blocklayer to fit the boards as you don't want them rushing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭893bet

also if you have any corner lintels then these can be expensive. For a decent size corner with stell from foundations up them one could cost 1200-1500 easily.

Get this detail right from the start with the architect. I made a mistake here and ended up with a poorly thought out thermal bridge. I sorted it somewhat but far from perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭scwazrh

I would suggest that you are very clear about the details you want the block layers to work to.I have found that a large number of experienced block layers are not up to date with current regs and details.
    the environ site has a very clear set of accredited details that are easy to follow - http://www.environ.ie/en/Publications/DevelopmentandHousing/BuildingStandards/FileDownLoad,18751,en.pdf

No harm in printing them out and giving them to the brickies before pricing . Working to these details will cost a bit more per block but will be worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 bim bam

In around €1 euro to 1.25 per block.this should include labor,cills lintils dpc insulation wall ties and filling chimney and the bricky supplying appropriate scaffold/tools for his/her work.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭briaineo

Hi all

Thanks for clearing that up, the build is a quite simple layout and is actually quite a large project a bit under 5000 sq foot. So hopefully get a bit of a discount.

Can now go and get some official quotes

Thanks again

Eoin

• Advertisement
Advertisement