Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best cheap Video Conferencing solution?

• 07-12-2015 10:44pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to implement a very cost-effective Vid-Conf solution for a small company to be deployable across a number of international office but also accessible outside the company LAN/WAN.

Google Chromebox springs to mind but my experience of it is not great and I think it's expensive.

Budget is tight so quality at a snip would be appreciated. Any ideas would be most appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I'm looking to implement a very cost-effective Vid-Conf solution for a small company to be deployable across a number of international office but also accessible outside the company LAN/WAN.

Google Chromebox springs to mind but my experience of it is not great and I think it's expensive.

Budget is tight so quality at a snip would be appreciated. Any ideas would be most appreciated.

Google's unit is the bottom of the market. Beyond that is a laptop with a webcam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

Google's unit is the bottom of the market. Beyond that is a laptop with a webcam.

Have you looked at the Avaya scopia product. It's well priced, mid range and can integrate with other vendors (polycomm, Google, Cisco etc) and OS agnostic ?

In terms of accessible outside Lan, it can generate a URL to send to external parties, one click and they are on the bridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

s8n wrote: »
    Have you looked at the Avaya scopia product. It's well priced, mid range and can integrate with other vendors (polycomm, Google, Cisco etc) and OS agnostic ?

In terms of accessible outside Lan, it can generate a URL to send to external parties, one click and they are on the bridge.

He is referring to the endpoint, the chromebox which includes a camera, mic and speaker. Along with a customised OS for hangouts specific use, which is the platform its locked into.

On the scale of video meeting room endpoints, its one of the cheapest but that's not hard in the world of 50k+ installs being cheap. Avaya's equivalent endpoint does not cost 1000$ or close to it.

You could try to slap some software on a pc like Avaya's but it doesn't work. You don't have content inputs, you don't have automated screen control. Inbound audio is never capable of actually getting half decent sound from a packed room, since its missing the custom DSP's all the other makes have.

That being said, the obvious trend I can see now is that with the ability to share content over a virtual meeting on most platforms, most people stop giving a ****e about meeting rooms altogether. Except for the die hard narcissists who love to be the center of attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭chainsmoker556

Try to check Citrix.

Advertisement