Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

There's no such thing as Santa Claus!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

All of that is lovely and I have no doubt that your daughter loves the time spent with you and gains a lot from it...

But what you're describing is fun. Not magic.

In fact even when you do the magic, you eliminate the magic element by working out the illusion.

I've no doubt you have a wonderful Christmas with your children and I'm not suggesting that they're missing out on anything other then the magic.

But unless you're creating it for them through other means then I'm sorry but its just not the same as the wonder and magic experienced by those who believe in Santa at Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,676 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Will it be full of the magic of Christmas?

Yes.

Old tinsel! (I love tinsel for some reason )

And also nappies. Pungent ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Cork Lass wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity, do you have the statistics that show how many children have been damaged by believing in Santa. personally I've never met one.
    No, that's why I used words like "I wonder" and "could be".
    Azalea wrote: »
    All I'm saying is, I simply cannot understand why a person would tell their child who believes in Santa that there is no such thing when the child is only five or six.
    I don't think anyones saying that. But if parents have kids that they don't do the santa myth with and those kids go into school and tell other kids, it's not the parents fault. That's just the way the world is. We wouldn't give out to Muslims and Jews for not telling their kids to go along with the santa myth. So I don't see why other non christians like atheists, or humanists should be forced to maintain myths they see no value in.

I don't like being put in a position of lying about it. If anyone asks me an honest question, I like to give an honest answer. With santa you're damned either way, tell the truth everyone thinks you're a bollox, tell the lie and I feel like a bollox.
    What benefit to the child would there be in shattering a fantasy that gives them so much joy?
    This argument is used in relation to religion all the time. I don't see any value in maintaining myths and fantasies. I don't see whats wrong with the real world, I think the majority of people today are very removed from the reality of the world. If you want to create a fantasy world for your child, maintaining it is your problem. Deceit is deceit.

To me it's like imposing a more mature person's worldview on a little kid. It seems so harsh.
    Reality has to be dealt with, you can't hide them away from it until their 18 and send them out completely unprepared or misinformed.

I'm just wondering how being the odd one out is dealt with
    Well as long as you don't plan on stigmatising the different people it should be fine.

Swanner wrote: »
    The evidence also suggests that it's actually the parents who feel the majority of the disappointment when the kids find out
    I have no doubt that santa is for parents more so than kids. That's why I don't really accept this Christmas magic baloney. Kids only believe in magic because parents keep avoiding the truth of reality. Kids would get on just fine without santa, it's the parents that would miss it the most.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,349 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

But what you're describing is fun. Not magic.

In fact even when you do the magic, you eliminate the magic element by working out the illusion.

There is enough "magic" in the world without it needing to be supernatural or paranormal. Understanding how the trick works does not take the fun out of seeking the trick either.

Nor does understanding most of the inner workings of stars and trees take away from their "Magic" and beauty. And the science experiments I do with my children from books specific to that pursuit are no less awe inspiring and "magic" to them for having the conclusions of the experiments explained to them.

I fear you are operating under a limited definition of "Magic". Which is that you are seemingly defining it as a belief in the supernatural or paranormal. If THAT is the kind of magic you think I am removing from my child's Christmas then sure, I am happy to concede that for all the reasons I have offered so far. The "Magic" they are missing out on is the lies. And as I said my children appears to derive no less fun, awe, imagination, stimulation and enjoyment out of the word for not subscribing to lies as if true.

In other words I fear you are just erecting a linguistic circular argument by identifying the things I do not do for Xmas.... fitting the definition of "magic" exactly to those.... and then pedantically (albeit correctly) saying I am not "doing the magic".

My own definition and idea of the word "magic" however is much broader.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

People always loved creativity, imagination. A made up novel about second world war is still not real no matter how harsh it is. GRRM books are read by millions who don't believe in dragons and white walkers. We lie ourselves all the time because there is a different world we want to escape into every so often. And ironically even scientific experiments can be proven erroneous after more research.

Being atheist for me doesn't mean I have to tell them the truth about Santa or Easter Bunny and so on. I leave that to zealots, I think life can be way more fun if you're not constantly worried that their little minds will be polluted by imaginary nonsense. In fact our ability to imagine, create different worlds makes think outside of the box and create new things. And yes that even involves lies.

Btw if kids are never lied to how will they understand that not everything they are told is always true?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

[Q

This argument is used in relation to religion all the time. I don't see any value in maintaining myths and fantasies. I don't see whats wrong with the real world, I think the majority of people today are very removed from the reality of the world. If you want to create a fantasy world for your child, maintaining it is your problem. Deceit is deceit.

Reality has to be dealt with, you can't hide them away from it until their 18 and send them out completely unprepared or misinformed.

Gosh I think this discussion is getting very deep....
    Santa is a bit of fun and fantasy for the kids . There is enough reality in their lives to be dealing with already. Its not like they are going to be damaged for the rest of their lives from "being lied to about Santa".
    Its a bit of harmless fun and I dont think you'd find too many adults needing therapy because they were lied to about Santa.:P

No they don't need therapy, in fact they got valuable lesson for life that your nearest and dearest lie to you.

East is East, and West is West, and never the twain shall meet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

meeeeh wrote: »
    No they don't need therapy, in fact they got valuable lesson for life that your nearest and dearest lie to you.

Ah come on!!!!! Im such a bad parent so. Tooth fairy Easter bunny and Santa.

Ring Social Services QUICK:p

There is enough "magic" in the world without it needing to be supernatural or paranormal. Understanding how the trick works does not take the fun out of seeking the trick either.

Nor does understanding most of the inner workings of stars and trees take away from their "Magic" and beauty. And the science experiments I do with my children from books specific to that pursuit are no less awe inspiring and "magic" to them for having the conclusions of the experiments explained to them.

I fear you are operating under a limited definition of "Magic". Which is that you are seemingly defining it as a belief in the supernatural or paranormal. If THAT is the kind of magic you think I am removing from my child's Christmas then sure, I am happy to concede that for all the reasons I have offered so far. The "Magic" they are missing out on is the lies. And as I said my children appears to derive no less fun, awe, imagination, stimulation and enjoyment out of the word for not subscribing to lies as if true.

In other words I fear you are just erecting a linguistic circular argument by identifying the things I do not do for Xmas.... fitting the definition of "magic" exactly to those.... and then pedantically (albeit correctly) saying I am not "doing the magic".

My own definition and idea of the word "magic" however is much broader.

This thread is about the magic of Santa at Christmas which is a supernatural magic.

You're talking about magic in the broad sense of the term which can mean pretty much anything. "Last night was magic". "I had a magic time". "That was a magic game".

You've posted numerous times telling us how you create as much, if not more magic for your children at Christmas without Santa. What you failed to mention was that you're using a broad definition of the term.

So yes I would imagine your house is choc full of magic on Christmas morning. So is ours. It's a special time....

It is however missing the very special magic that can only be created when a child believes in Santa.

There is, quite simply, no comparison.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭rafatoni

robindch wrote: »
    I don't see anything "magic" about filling my kid's head with Santa-related stories, especially since she figured out that it was an adult conjob when she was, AFAIR, four. I can make her smile by telling her lots of other false stories too - she's a kid - why would I abuse her trust?

Yes, it's lovely to see her smile and grin and giggle and be happy over the moon when she knows she's going to get a present - and we put one from Santa beneath the tree - but she knows quite well it's from her parents. And now at the age of nine, she's embarrassed for her classmates (all of them religious) who still believe in Santa. As a parent, I'd like her to be a little ahead of the curve in terms of maturity and knowing what's what, instead of being one of the kids that's being laughed at her behind their backs because they still believe in Santa, the tooth fairy or any other pious myth.

oh deary me. Where does one start..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

This thread is about the magic of Santa at Christmas which is a supernatural magic.
    Please do explain this "Christmas magic".

ScumLord wrote: »
    Please do explain this "Christmas magic".

If you haven't experienced it, or watched your kids experience it, you won't get it.

It's magic...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Smidge wrote: »
    I had my santa years mid 70's to early 80's.

Second childhood? Tell us how the truth was disclosed to you in your late eighties.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

Hahaha, "You're talking about a broad sense of magic, not real magic. You know, the real very special supernatural kind."

This thread is a hoot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Azalea

It did seem personal. Apologies if that was the wrong way to parse it.
    Not at all - I could see afterwards how it would easily have been picked up that way.
    Similarly I have not talked much about believers and atheists either. So I find myself wondering therefore why you are using my posts as a spring board to complain about others. If you have an issue with people talking about atheists, believers, or taking themselves too seriously.... perhaps it would be less confusing (for me at least) if you take it up with them directly?
    Sorry again, definitely meant towards anyone who was bringing religion or atheism into it - just happened to say it after quoting your post but I wasn't using your post as a springboard. :)

Thanks for the detailed post - good points.

ScumLord wrote: »
    If you want to create a fantasy world for your child, maintaining it is your problem. Deceit is deceit.
    Fantasy is created for children all the time and there's no issue with maintaining it because children grow up - you can't honestly state all deceit is the same.
    Well that's not really relevant - seeing as they stop believing at nine or ten, not 18, and they don't have to be faced with every bit of reality as early as nine or ten.
    I have no doubt that santa is for parents more so than kids. That's why I don't really accept this Christmas magic baloney. Kids only believe in magic because parents keep avoiding the truth of reality. Kids would get on just fine without santa, it's the parents that would miss it the most.
    I have no doubt that you know full well Santa is for children. As for the last sentence: of course children who have never been told the Santa thing won't miss it - you can't miss what you don't know.

Think you're just arguing for the sake of it.

Some fair points though from a number of the non Santa doers - I was wrong, it's not all smug, joyless "Children need to be taught about reality from day one" stuff. Cheers for opening my eyes. :)
    Just like not all Santa doers are materialistic and into belittling their children with the aim of them being shattered when they discover the truth. Children naturally start to question the logic of it themselves when they have the faculties to do so.

And while I don't know if it's that relevant to bring religion or lack thereof into it (belief in Santa as a child and indoctrination into a religion, do not have anywhere near the same ramifications for a person) plenty of atheists (including me) are well into the Santa thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,499 ✭✭✭✭Caoimhgh1n

Some people are taking this too seriously!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Swiftly

Oh yes there is

• Advertisement

Swiftly wrote: »
    Oh yes there is

HE'S BEHIND YOU!

We lie ourselves all the time because there is a different world we want to escape into every so often.

Agreed, but I do not think I would use the phrase "lie to ourselves". I would say the same thing you are, but I would use the phrase "We suspend our disbelief".

When we are watching James Bond, A horror movie, The Martian, or The Avengers.... we do not believe (most of us) these things are real, really happening, or ever really happened. But we engage in what is called "suspension of disbelief". We invest ourselves in the reality of it, while never _really_ losing sight of the falsehood of it.

I think children are even better at that than we are. Swanner above sort of argued that if the children know it is a trick, or know or seek how it is done, then "it is not magic". I disagree. I think even children who know it is a trick or know how it is done are capable of suspension of disbelief and investing themselves in the magic, and in a world of magic they know is not actually there.

There are some magic shows that I still watch sometimes where I know how the majority of the tricks are done, yet it takes nothing away from the show for me. The exact opposite in fact.
    Being atheist for me doesn't mean I have to tell them the truth about Santa or Easter Bunny and so on. I leave that to zealots

And yet I am no such thing. So that would be as false as it would be uncalled for if anyone were to apply it to me. As I said earlier in the thread I have no judgement to level against the people who do the Santa thing. I have not judged them, looked down on them, or disparaged their choices. The same is not forthcoming in return it seems. "Harsh" "Mean" "Zealot" and worse have been leveled against the choice.

Yet for me there is no judgement to be made. We ALL appear to want to fill our childrens lives and minds with fun, imagination, magic, awe, stimulation and play.

From my view we all have simply found different paths towards attaining that, and my path involves not asking, or persuading, my children to subscribe to anything as true that there is no reason to think true.

From the view of some others, this is somehow the "wrong" thing to do and deserving of phrases like "Harsh" "Mean" "Zealot" and worse. And I see any such commentary to be useless as well as entirely unfounded.
    I think life can be way more fun if you're not constantly worried that their little minds will be polluted by imaginary nonsense.

And yet I have seen nothing at all in my life, least of all from anyone on this thread, to suggest my life, my kids lives, or our relationship together is any less "fun" than anyone else's. So the opinion would appear to be groundless at this time.
    Btw if kids are never lied to how will they understand that not everything they are told is always true?

Ah, but I never claimed my kids are never lied to. I just said they are never lied to _by me_ except where absolutely warranted. I have no shortage of ways to teach them about the existence of deception in the world, have no concern about that!

You're talking about magic in the broad sense of the term which can mean pretty much anything.

Exactly. As I said to the user above we ALL appear to want our childrens minds filled with magic, awe, wonder, fascination, imagination, fiction, fantasy and much more.

All I have done is point out that ALL of that can be attained without actually having to pass off any of it as true.

And by no measure I can think of have I been given any reason to think I am attaining those goals any more or less than anyone else by the path I have chosen.
    It is however missing the very special magic that can only be created when a child believes in Santa.

That is pure subjectivity on your part and little else however. There is very much a comparison. It is just YOU elevating one thing over all the others in your mind and declaring it to be incomparable and different and better. Mere assertion based on projection of your own subjective feelings and emotions on the matter.

It sounds little different to me than the religious telling me that if you do not know a god, believe in a god, or have a personal relationship with a god, then you are missing out on life or not getting as much out of life as they are. Yet aside from mere subjective assertion of their superiority in what they derive from life..... they have not once shown any such thing to be true. Just lines very much like the one you just used of "If you have not experienced it you just will not get it".
    Caoimhgh1n wrote: »

Ah not really. At least not me, I can not speak for others. I do enjoy throwing myself robustly into discussions and immersing myself in them. Which VERY often gives the impression I am taking it very seriously. But the opposite is true really. It just makes intellectual discourse more enjoyable if you invest yourself in it. Kinda like the "suspension of disbelief" I described above when watching you know entirely to be fantasy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Caoimhgh1n wrote: »

Personally speaking, I'll be asking candidates their position on the matter when canvassing starts for the GE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Sleepy wrote: »
    It's okay. Tell your imaginary kids what you like.

Just be prepared for the tears when the other kids think your child must be incredibly bold if Santa doesn't come to them and the hatred of other parents if you ruin their Children's Christmas.

I was raised as a Jehovah's Witness and we never had Christmas or Santy. It was bloody awful! I genuinely wonder what reason parents of other kids gave to them about us! Were we bold?! I always remember being told not to spoil Santa on the other kids and I'd be like "why can't we have it too?!?". We weren't neglected or anything and got stuff at other times of the year but the build up and mutual anticipation left us out in the cold. Was pretty sad!

Swanner above sort of argued that if the children know it is a trick, or know or seek how it is done, then "it is not magic".

Not exactly. I said you eliminate the magic when you work out the illusion. That doesn't mean it can't be enjoyable or a fun thing to do. Everyone loves trying to figure out how they do it but most people don't really want to know because the magic is in the mystery and the not knowing.

The Magic Circle, an organisation set up over 100 years ago to promote magic has one primary rule. That is never to reveal the secret of an illusion to anyone outside the organisation. Why ? Because no one brings their kids to an illusion show or a trick show. They go to magic shows and if everyone knows how the tricks are done, there's no magic in it. The art is dead.

Same holds true at Christmas. Once kids stop believing, the magic kind of goes with it. I say kind of because for me and many others on here, the memories of the magic actually keep it alive to a certain extent.

But aside from that, we also get to do everything you do. So we have that as well. Call it magic, fun whatever, we get that too.

So we have a perspective you can't have. And with respect we have a perspective your kids will never have. That's fine. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that, but you can't claim to create the same magic without Santa because Santa is the "Magic". The real magic in it's truest form. Call it a lie, an illusion, a trick, whatever, but the kids love it, the adults love it and as long as the kids aren't told how the illusion works, the magic goes on.
    From my view we all have simply found different paths towards attaining that, and my path involves not asking, or persuading, my children to subscribe to anything as true that there is no reason to think true.

From the view of some others, this is somehow the "wrong" thing to do and deserving of phrases like "Harsh" "Mean" "Zealot" and worse. And I see any such commentary to be useless as well as entirely unfounded.

Exactly. As I said to the user above we ALL appear to want our childrens minds filled with magic, awe, wonder, fascination, imagination, fiction, fantasy and much more.

100% Agreed.
    All I have done is point out that ALL of that can be attained without actually having to pass off any of it as true.

100% disagree.

I'm not judging your choices and I haven't called you names. You come across as a decent chap and a great father. I just fundamentally disagree with you on the idea that magic can ever be compatible with rational explanations. The whole point of magic is that we don't know the secret and so it appears beyond explanation.

Not exactly. I said you eliminate the magic when you work out the illusion.

That would depend on whether you knew it was an illusion in the first place or not. You can know something is an illusion without working out how it was done. But again I think you are using "magic" in a very contrived and limited way here. You are merely equivocating over the difference between actually beveling it is magic.... and not.

And it is the actually believing it to be "magic" that I am suggesting is not as necessary as you merely declare here.
    The Magic Circle, an organisation set up over 100 years ago to promote magic has one primary rule. That is never to reveal the secret of an illusion to anyone outside the organisation. Why ?

Well the "why" is obvious. They are protecting their profits. But actually this "rule" is merely for show anyway, to promote an air of mystique in the public, because in reality the majority of magicians with decent acts patent their tricks and anyone can access and read a patent. So anyone who wants to know how a trick is done, can do so quite easily in fact.
    Same holds true at Christmas. Once kids stop believing, the magic kind of goes with it.

Again.... you are speaking for yourself subjectively. The only "magic" that appears to actually go is belief that it is actually true or real. And as I keep saying, no one has shown that is necessary at all in order to facilitate fulfilling a child's need for magic, imagination, fun, wonder, awe or any of those things.
    So we have a perspective you can't have. And with respect we have a perspective your kids will never have.

Not that I have seen no. Again it sounds no different to me than a religious believer saying their relationship with god adds something to their life that I will never have. They say it. They have never substantiated it. Even a little. Nor have you.
    you can't claim to create the same magic without Santa because Santa is the "Magic".

What I claimed was that my children have every bit as much magic, awe, imagination, fantasy, play and so forth as any other child I have observed. I just attain that by different methods. It is you merely declaring by fiat that your chosen method is something "extra" or "more" or "real" that children such as mine are missing out on. But other than repetition of the assertion, assertion is all it remains.
    I just fundamentally disagree with you on the idea that magic can ever be compatible with rational explanations. The whole point of magic is that we don't know the secret and so it appears beyond explanation.

Yet not knowing the explanation but KNOWING it is magic and illusion does not take away from it? Which is closer to my point. You can not know the explanation of how it is done, but still know it is not actually magic. So when you watch a show all you are doing is "suspending disbelief" for the purposes of entertainment. And ignorance of how the trick is done merely helps you do that. Knowing how the trick is done does not PREVENT you from doing that. It just makes it slightly harder.

• Advertisement

But again I think you are using "magic" in a very contrived and limited way here. You are merely equivocating over the difference between actually beveling it is magic.... and not.

I'm defining magic as the power of apparently influencing events by using mysterious or supernatural forces.

I do however understand your broad definition of magic. As I said, we create that kind of magic at Christmas in our house too.
    Well the "why" is obvious. They are protecting their profits.

Absolutely. I'm glad we agree. If everyone knows how the illusions work they won't bother going to see the "magic" show. The magic is gone.
    But actually this "rule" is merely for show anyway, to promote an air of mystique in the public,

We agree again !! Why do they need an air of mystique ? Because it contributes to the magic. It's the mystery, the not knowing that keeps the magic alive.
    because in reality the majority of magicians with decent acts patent their tricks and anyone can access and read a patent. So anyone who wants to know how a trick is done, can do so quite easily in fact.

Yet they don't. At least i've never met anyone in my 43 years who has looked up a patent to find out the secret to a magic trick. No doubt you know a good few but i'd hazard a guess that they're the exception, not the rule.
    Again.... you are speaking for yourself subjectively. The only "magic" that appears to actually go is belief that it is actually true or real. And as I keep saying, no one has shown that is necessary at all in order to facilitate fulfilling a child's need for magic, imagination, fun, wonder, awe or any of those things.

Yes I am speaking subjectively. As are you and everyone else on every thread on boards ever.
    Again it sounds no different to me than a religious believer saying their relationship with god adds something to their life that I will never have. They say it. They have never substantiated it. Even a little. Nor have you.

I'm not religious but I have no doubt that they experience something extra. That's their reality. I don't understand it, i'm not part of it but i'm not going to doubt them or judge them. How can I when I haven't experienced it :confused:
    What I claimed was that my children have every bit as much magic, awe, imagination, fantasy, play and so forth as any other child I have observed. I just attain that by different methods. It is you merely declaring by fiat that your chosen method is something "extra" or "more" or "real" that children such as mine are missing out on. But other than repetition of the assertion, assertion is all it remains.

I'm saying I've experienced everything you have and a little more. I've experienced the magic of Santa at Christmas first hand. I've experienced it again through my kids. It added a huge amount to my Christmas as a child and did the same again for my kids. I know because i've had the same experience as so many other people on here who had Santa as a child. Not one negative experience. Not one damaged adult as a result. Good memories all round. no-one feels betrayed, no-one feels lied to, no-one is more gullible as a result. We're all better for it and the vast vast majority of us chose to carry on the tradition. That says it all really.

That you choose not to partake is fine. that's your choice. But how can you measure the effect Santa has on a child's Christmas when you don't partake. You can't. You have no idea. Yet you claim to match and beat the experience. How can you possibly know ? You have nothing to compare it to. Like the people you mentioned who believe in a God, how can you deny their reality ? Just because you don't get it doesn't mean it's not real. You're denying the extra magic that Santa has provided to generations of families and kids all over the world. You're projecting your view on everyone else and you refuse to accept that there may be something more to it just because you have no experience of it. How can you know you've recreated it when you've never experienced it ? For someone who appears to have a sound logical mind you really should see the flaw in this...
    Yet not knowing the explanation but KNOWING it is magic and illusion does not take away from it? Which is closer to my point. You can not know the explanation of how it is done, but still know it is not actually magic. So when you watch a show all you are doing is "suspending disbelief" for the purposes of entertainment. And ignorance of how the trick is done merely helps you do that. Knowing how the trick is done does not PREVENT you from doing that. It just makes it slightly harder.

For you... For many others, it kills it.

This is our first year where both kids no longer believe. We'll still leave the presents and leave out the cake, beer and carrots. It's tradition now but the magic isn't there any more. We still have the magic you speak of but the special magic is gone. It left the day they figured out the illusion. This experience is shared by the many millions who follow the tradition. That's just the nature of it... They can't all be wrong...

Anyway, we're going round in circles, it's the weekend and no one ever wins an internet argument ever so on that note i'm out of here...

Cheers for the discourse and in the spirit of the season, sincerely, i hope you and your family have a great Christmas :-)

Santa or no Santa :-) :-)

Why do you think that kids are more likely to believe one child who says Santy doesn't exist than everyone else who says he does?

Kids aren't stupid. They know full well from very early on that there's no Santy. They just fear that having to admit they know will mean them not getting presents.
    Are you claiming to speak for children? I am sure you're right about some, but I believed fully until I was eight. Then I started to question it, but still believed - right up to when I was ten. There was some denial by me from age eight onwards for sure, but it was down to not wanting something I enjoyed so much being just a fantasy, not that I wouldn't get presents. I still continued to get presents long after Santa was "gone".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Based on this thread, I with bring my kids to see Santa tomorrow in IKEA and tell all the other kids he's not real ;)

No need to tell my 5 year old as he figured out that the one in the shops not real and the real one is in the north pole making his 2 big guns.
    My ,youngest will just point and laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

Azalea wrote: »
    Are you claiming to speak for children? I am sure you're right about some, but I believed fully until I was eight. Then I started to question it, but still believed - right up to when I was ten. There was some denial by me from age eight onwards for sure, but it was down to not wanting something I enjoyed so much being just a fantasy, not that I wouldn't get presents. I still continued to get presents long after Santa was "gone".

I always knew it was just pretend, even as a very small child. I guess some of us just have more cop on.

I'm defining magic as the power of apparently influencing events by using mysterious or supernatural forces.

And as I keep saying there is no requirement I can see for having children believe in any such thing. And not believing in any such thing does not appear to hamper or hinder their imagination, fantasy, awe, wonder, intellect, enjoyment or any other measure I can think of. Let alone at Christmas time.
    Absolutely. I'm glad we agree. If everyone knows how the illusions work they won't bother going to see the "magic" show. The magic is gone.

We agree again !! Why do they need an air of mystique ? Because it contributes to the magic. It's the mystery, the not knowing that keeps the magic alive.

Not sure I do agree with that though. I know how most tricks are done that I have seen. I still love seeing them done. Just the same way as I know how to play football, but I still love to watch others do it. Most people can sing, but they still go to watch other people and bands do it.

Watching a true expert doing it is enough. Knowing how the trick is done takes nothing away from it. Any of us can suspend our disbelief. We do it all the time watching movies and soap operas for example. Or reading Fiction. The air of mystique however simply makes that easier to do, and people are lazy that way. We can let ourselves be carried away by it even when we know it is fake and illusion. I know entirely when I go to a big production magic show that it is all fake, and I likely know how most of the tricks are done. But in the moment I like the smoke and production, to be taken away on the suspension of disbelief and that it is all "real". Knowing how the tricks are done take nothing away from that. Perhaps they do for you. Not for me.
    Yet they don't. At least i've never met anyone in my 43 years

You just did. Me. But I think I covered above why people do not. A) They are lazy. B) They likely do not care really. And C) not knowing HELPS them suspend disbelief even when they know it is not real, but it is not a pre-requisite of doing so.
    Yes I am speaking subjectively. As are you and everyone else on every thread on boards ever.

Except the ones who are not. But the point I am making is that your speech makes it sound like you think it more than mere subjectivity. You outright asserted "the magic goes with it" and that something is "missing the very special magic" and so forth. You are taking as if one really is "higher" or "better" or "more" than any other. And I am pointing out that is subjectivity and little else.
    I'm not religious but I have no doubt that they experience something extra.

I however do doubt it. I think they are experiencing all the same things I am. No one has shown me a shred of substantiation to the contrary. I merely think they are parsing it differently.
    I'm saying I've experienced everything you have and a little more.

And I am saying the "more" appears to be entirely made up and not substantiated in any way. Least of all by anyone on this thread.
    But how can you measure the effect Santa has on a child's Christmas when you don't partake.

You tell me. I am not the one going around declaring it to be "more" and elevating it in all kinds of ways. Perhaps you can tell me what the measurement system is. Perhaps you can create an SI unit of measure for it. Let us call it "The Jolly" and show us how you measure the different in Jollys between one approach and another in order to declare the effects to be "more" or "better" or whatever language you plan to use for it today :)
    Yet you claim to match and beat the experience.

No, what I claim is that no one, least of all you, has shown that the experience is anything "more" or "better" or whatever than any I have had or provided. You are the one claiming something is missing, not me. So it is you claiming to be doing the "matching" and "beating" more so than me.

All I am saying is I have seen nothing, not even a little, to suggest that the imaginations, awe, wonder, fantasy, enjoyment, fiction or any of those other things I have listed numerous times is in any way reduced from your standards by anything I do (or do not do). And in SOME cases it is quite the opposite in life. Some people think, for example, that scientifically understanding how a tree grows, eats, lives and reproduces destroys the beauty of it. I think it augments and increases it. Some people think a scientific theory of art, which we are currently doing well producing, will destroy art. Again I think the opposite.

So yes, I see little to no reason to think that failing to subscribe to unsubstantiated nonsense reduces anything, and many reasons to think there are times when it does quite the opposite.
    You're projecting your view on everyone else

No again, that is you not me. It is you, not me, for example going around claiming others are "denying children" certain things. Yet I have done no such thing. I have presented my view pretty much entirely without judgement or belittlement of any kind. So I have projected nothing. You however, have not returned the same in kind.
    i hope you and your family have a great Christmas

So far so good. Advent Calanders when done right are a real boon. Really have to work harder on home made ones too. Have also been sharing one of the other "real magics" of Christmas with my Daughter as best I can. Which is the world full of examples of where people put down the reigns of their own lives and really band together to help other individuals or groups to a level of self-sacrifice that beats the general average over the full year. I would like to see any evidence that the beauty of true human solidarity and self-sacrifice can be excelled by woo, fantasy or selling the supernatural as true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Mrs cockett

Long posts are too hard to follow

2 blokes chat at a bar...

1st guy owns a Nissan Micra. It's his first car and the only car he's ever driven. He telling anyone who'll listen that it's the best car out there. At least as good, if not better then any other car on the road...

2nd guy drives a Maserati. He's owned a few cars over the years. Used to own a Micra. His daughter also has one and he drives it from time to time but he prefers his Maserati. It's got way more style, it's a lot faster and much more comfortable. He explains to the first guy that there are better cars out there and as he doesn't have any experience of them it would be foolish to assume his is the best...

1st guy doesn't believe him though. As far as he's concerned his car is the best and that's the end of it. 2nd guy tries to explain that he's driven both so he has a good perspective on it. 1st guy is having none of it. As far as he's concerned, if he hasn't personally experienced it, it doesn't exist. So as he's only ever driven a Micra, that the best car on the road.

2nd guy, feeling a little amused, drinks up and goes home in his Maserati.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

2 blokes chat at a bar...

1st guy owns a Nissan Micra. It's his first car and the only car he's ever driven. He telling anyone who'll listen that it's the best car out there. At least as good, if not better then any other car on the road...

2nd guy drives a Maserati. He's owned a few cars over the years. Used to own a Micra. His daughter also has one and he drives it from time to time but he prefers his Maserati. It's got way more style, it's a lot faster and much more comfortable. He explains to the first guy that there are better cars out there and as he doesn't have any experience of them it would be foolish to assume his is the best...

1st guy doesn't believe him though. As far as he's concerned his car is the best and that's the end of it. 2nd guy tries to explain that he's driven both so he has a good perspective on it. 1st guy is having none of it. As far as he's concerned, if he hasn't personally experienced it, it doesn't exist. So as he's only ever driven a Micra, that the best car on the road.

2nd guy, feeling a little amused, drinks up and goes home in his Maserati.

2nd guy's a dick for drink driving.

What's this got to do with Santa?

2nd guy's a dick for drink driving.

I wondered would anyone be pedantic enough to highlight this...

It's a made up story, don't worry yourself about it.. No one dies...
    What's this got to do with Santa?

Treat it as puzzle. A pretty easy puzzle...

Treat it as puzzle. A pretty easy puzzle...

Nozzferrahhtoo and yourself both drive Micras?

Not sure easy is the word. "Simplistic" is probably a better one. Especially if that is in some way meant to be an analogy to the conversation thus far. I repeat what I said in my last post.... it is not me claiming my way is the best one out there or my way is the best.

I think in the story involved I would be guy number 3 who over heard the whole conversation and thought to myself "Each of them are going on about which car is best, yet both cars essentially are doing the exact same thing my car does and I feel no need to pretend my car is better than anyone else's. It is merely the car I chose, for the reasons I chose it. Reasons I can give when asked, but without any judgement on anyone who picked a different one. And not one thing either of those guys has said so far has led me to believe their car brings them anything my car does not also."

Unsurprisingly you're missing the point. The "better" or "worse" was for analogy purposes only. We've already agreed on a similar position with regards to judgment of others choices so not sure why you'd go back their other then to derail the discussion...

Anyway, let's make it a little simpler...

Same 2 guys, same scenario..

Which of the 2 would you say has the more informed perspective on the merits of both cars ?

The guy who's only driven one of them ? Or the guy who's driven both ?

Straight forward answer will do...

Not agreeing with the point is not the same as missing the point. And someone going off on a mad tangent talking about cars, having ignored the majority of the content of my previous post, is not really in a position to accuse others of derailing the discussion. If you want to go back and reply to my post at any time, you are more than welcome to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

Potato

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭orubiru

Unsurprisingly you're missing the point. The "better" or "worse" was for analogy purposes only. We've already agreed on a similar position with regards to judgment of others choices so not sure why you'd go back their other then to derail the discussion...

Anyway, let's make it a little simpler...

Same 2 guys, same scenario..

Which of the 2 would you say has the more informed perspective on the merits of both cars ?

The guy who's only driven one of them ? Or the guy who's driven both ?

Straight forward answer will do...

It's not really a good analogy though. Just because one guy has driven more cars than the other guy doesn't necessarily mean he has a more informed perspective on how good it feels to drive different cars.

He may have better technical knowledge but from a subjective point of view? No.

Unfortunately for you one guy could say "well, the Maserati is faster and has more features" and the other guy could just say "but the Micra is small and blue and I like small blue things". :)

The are biological limits on how good a person can actually feel about something. So, if the first guy gets a euphoric feeling from driving his Micra and the mere thought of driving any other car makes him feel sad he isn't driving the Micra then no amount of experience of other cars can trump that.

The only way we could have an informed perspective would be if we hooked both guys up to some kind of device to measure brain activity or body chemistry to see who is actually getting the most from their driving experience.

So there! :P

• Advertisement

You're talking about magic in the broad sense of the term which can mean pretty much anything. "Last night was magic". "I had a magic time". "That was a magic game".

You've posted numerous times telling us how you create as much, if not more magic for your children at Christmas without Santa. What you failed to mention was that you're using a broad definition of the term.

So yes I would imagine your house is choc full of magic on Christmas morning. So is ours. It's a special time....

There is, quite simply, no comparison.

Nonsense.

One of the first things we tell kids when they start watching movies is that "it's not real" and as far as I can tell plenty of children will be way more excited about their Spiderman or Star Wars or Frozen toys this Christmas than they will be about the idea that Santa brought those toys.

There will be plenty of children getting hyped up beyond all comparison over the new Star Wars movie. They know it's not real. The "magic" is the same.

I think you are underestimating the intelligence of the kids to be honest. A lot of them know or suspect that Santa isn't real but it doesn't make them any less excited to open a pile of gifts on Christmas morning.

The average 3 to 4 year old is already wondering how Santa manages to get into the house, carry all those gifts etc. They aren't daft.

Tell any child they are going to get a mystery stack of gifts on an arbitrary day and they are going to be super excited. Adding "these gifts are brought by Santa" probably doesn't add too much to the experience.

Then again who really knows? Were kids who were raised believing in Santa any happier than kids who never believed? Did they experience some kind of special, unique, incomparable magic? *Looks at nations like Japan* I don't think so.

To be honest it just seems like you really really REALLY want to believe in "the magic of Christmas". Realistically though? Nah, I'm not buying it.

I'm with Nozzferrahhtoo on this one. With a bit of creativity and a bit of effort it's pretty easy to create a sense of magic that really connects with children's imaginations. No Santa required.

I'd honestly argue that kids get more out of willingly pretending and playing along than they do out of being told that supernatural type things are actually real. In a lot of ways when they knowingly pretend that something is real it teaches them to empathize and encourages them to create an experience and sense of wonder rather than just to be an obedient passenger.

There's no such thing as a "special magic" that can only be created by belief in Santa. Does it compare to Disney World? How would you even measure such a thing?

orubiru wrote: »
    I'd honestly argue that kids get more out of willingly pretending and playing along than they do out of being told that supernatural type things are actually real. In a lot of ways when they knowingly pretend that something is real it teaches them to empathize and encourages them to create an experience and sense of wonder rather than just to be an obedient passenger.

There's no such thing as a "special magic" that can only be created by belief in Santa. Does it compare to Disney World? How would you even measure such a thing?

Of course you would argue that. You also think kids who believe into Santa are 'obedient passengers'. There is no magic in the world but there are grand delusions where parents who think if they teach the kids science and reasoning since the age of three months the kids will become little Einsteins. I met a few , they were usually crying at teacher's table asking for better grades because they were outshined by truly talented kids and a lot of average ones and daddy wouldn't be happy with that.

So no there is no special magic but there is a bit of fun and I like that even though that means I am raising sheep.

Of course you would argue that. You also think kids who believe into Santa are 'obedient passengers'.

There is no magic in the world but there are grand delusions where parents who think if they teach the kids science and reasoning since the age of three months the kids will become little Einsteins. I met a few , they were usually crying at teacher's table asking for better grades because they were outshined by truly talented kids and a lot of average ones and daddy wouldn't be happy with that.

Haha. The bitterness of this quote. :)

Listen, if you are going to misrepresent what I've said then I'm not going to participate in the discussion.

"I'm with Nozzferrahhtoo on this one. With a bit of creativity and a bit of effort it's pretty easy to create a sense of magic that really connects with children's imaginations. No Santa required."

So, I was never arguing against "magic" nor was I having any "grand delusions".

My point was that Santa is not required to imbue the kids with a sense of wonder or magic. This can be done just fine while the kids are fully aware that it's just pretend. Santa does not provide an extra special level of magic.

When they find out that Santa isn't "real" it really shouldn't make any difference.
    So no there is no special magic but there is a bit of fun and I like that even though that means I am raising sheep.

Ah, so you actually agree with me. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Mrs cockett

I think "a bit of fun" is the right way to look at it. No need to over think.

Haha. The bitterness of this quote. :)

Listen, if you are going to misrepresent what I've said then I'm not going to participate in the discussion.

"I'm with Nozzferrahhtoo on this one. With a bit of creativity and a bit of effort it's pretty easy to create a sense of magic that really connects with children's imaginations. No Santa required."

So, I was never arguing against "magic" nor was I having any "grand delusions".

My point was that Santa is not required to imbue the kids with a sense of wonder or magic. This can be done just fine while the kids are fully aware that it's just pretend. Santa does not provide an extra special level of magic.

When they find out that Santa isn't "real" it really shouldn't make any difference.

Ah, so you actually agree with me. :)
    You called other kids obedient passengers not me. Also you know the meaning of sarcasm?

I don't think you're right and I will demonstrate it over 16 paragraphs of text…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Pretty much sums up this thread.

People are either over thinking/complicating the topic or people accept its harmless fun.

It's not really a good analogy though. Just because one guy has driven more cars than the other guy doesn't necessarily mean he has a more informed perspective on how good it feels to drive different cars.

That wasn't the analogy.
    Not agreeing with the point is not the same as missing the point. And someone going off on a mad tangent talking about cars, having ignored the majority of the content of my previous post, is not really in a position to accuse others of derailing the discussion. If you want to go back and reply to my post at any time, you are more than welcome to do so.

So you completely ignored the question. OK.

So you completely ignored the question. OK.

Tbh, it's a nonsensical question about an analogy that really isn't pertinent to the discussion. There is no right or wrong way to do (or not do) Christmas. It's whatever makes you happiest as a family. Trying to force someone that you don't know to say that the way they spend Christmas is wrong because it's not the way you do it is a tad silly.

• Advertisement

There is no right or wrong way to do (or not do) Christmas. It's whatever makes you happiest as a family. Trying to force someone that you don't know to say that the way they spend Christmas is wrong because it's not the way you do it is a tad silly.

100% agree.

How anyone spends their Christmas is their business. What they choose to tell their kids is their business. I've never said anything contrary to that.

I actually agree with nozzferrahhtoo on most of what he says.

I do however challenge his statement that he can recreate the magic of Santa, without actually knowing what that magic might feel like, without having any experience of it and while at the same time denying it exists in the first place. It just doesn't make sense.

Much the same way he denies that others can have a religious experience because he's never had one. He's projecting his reality onto them.

There's a collective experience found in those who had Santa as a child. Almost everyone speaks of the heart bursting excitement listening out for the bells or leaving out the cake. The magic was created by the illusion. How do I know that ? Because if you break the illusion the magic dies. Otherwise we'd just tell kids from the outset. If you don't believe me, go find a 5 year old and tell them Santa doesn't exist... How do you think they'll feel ? How do you think the parents will feel ? Do you think the magic will still be the same for that child ?

There's a reason we keep the secret... The magic is in the illusion.

Anyway, this thread is really done for me.

I'd much prefer to spend the next few days looking forward to Santa then arguing about him... Best time of the year by miles :-)

Advertisement