Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

South Dublin / North Wisklow Golf Club Options

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭Russman

First Up wrote: »
    Location. Nothing else.

This exactly. There are buckets of courses as good or better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,084 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Firstly I never said it is an elite course. It might be an elite club though.
    Quality of course
    Condition of course
    And as I have said before, they key for me is the real club feel. We don't rely on green fees to keep the place going so as a member you know that it is being run with your interests in mind rather than trying everything to generate revenue. You pay a premium for this, but to keep a club running and in tip top shape doesn't come cheap so it has to come from somewhere.
    This of course is not just greystones but also the other courses mentioned such as delgany, bray, old conna, woodbrook, dun laoghaire etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Seve OB wrote: »
    Firstly I never said it is an elite course. It might be an elite club though.
    Quality of course
    Condition of course
    And as I have said before, they key for me is the real club feel. We don't rely on green fees to keep the place going so as a member you know that it is being run with your interests in mind rather than trying everything to generate revenue. You pay a premium for this, but to keep a club running and in tip top shape doesn't come cheap so it has to come from somewhere.
    This of course is not just greystones but also the other courses mentioned such as delgany, bray, old conna, woodbrook, dun laoghaire etc.

Well to be fair, you sort of ridiculed other posters' suggestions about non-elite courses and then went onto highlight how Greystones would be the perfect solution, which by inference, would suggest you think Greystones is elite.

Each to their own, but I'd be more concerned about the elitism of the course and not the clubhouse demographic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Macker1

Elitism has no place in sport or indeed in society in my opinion.

How many people with a natural given talent have been denied an opportunity to develop their talents due to elitist clubs ran by elitist people.

Most important aspect of golf club surely has to be the condition of the course closely followed by the ethos / culture of the club which should be welcoming and friendly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Macker1

Elitism has no place in an amateur sport and shouldn't exist in society in my opinion.

How many people with a natural given talent have been denied an opportunity to develop their talents due to elitist clubs ran by elitist people.

Most important aspect of golf club surely has to be the condition of the course closely followed by the ethos / culture of the club which should be welcoming and friendly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

"Elitism" is a highly pejorative term and people should be careful about throwing it around.
    A club is not "elitist" just because you can't afford it and others can.
    From my experience Greystones is a perfectly pleasant and friendly club. I just don't rate the course but that does not infer anything about the club or its members.

Advertisement