Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Orthodox Grip in Hurling/Camogie

Options
  • 07-12-2015 11:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi, I've been hearing a lot about the "orthodox" and "unorthodox" grip recently and how it can affect your game but I can't seem to figure out whether my grip is unorthodox or not, I was hoping someone would be able to help me? I am right handed but naturally strike on my left, working on improving my right side, I catch the ball with my right and also throw the sliotar up to hit it with my right too after which I put my right hand under my left on the hurl. Would be so grateful if someone could help me out, thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Simple answer = unorthodox

Orthodox grip for right handed people like yourself is having right hand at butt of hurl, catching and throwing up sliothar with left hand and then putting left hand under right (nearer tha bas of hurl), doesnt make a diffence which is your stronger side

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭big_drive

I would say you are orthodox for someone who strikes left sided. Provided you don't throw the ball under the hurley when striking it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Martin567

big_drive wrote: »
    I would say you are orthodox for someone who strikes left sided. Provided you don't throw the ball under the hurley when striking it

This is not correct. If you are right handed, your right hand should be at the top of the hurl. You should catch the ball with your left hand.

It doesn't matter which side you strike from. You should be able to strike from both sides and you certainly don't change grip depending on what side you are striking from.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭big_drive

But if a right handed person picked up a hurley with their left hand on top, caught the ball and threw it up with their right hand and was comfortable striking from their left side you wouldn't change them. If that worked for them you'd let them play the game that way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Martin567

big_drive wrote: »
    But if a right handed person picked up a hurley with their left hand on top, caught the ball and threw it up with their right hand and was comfortable striking from their left side you wouldn't change them. If that worked for them you'd let them play the game that way

I guess it depends what age they are. If a young right handed child, just learning to play, did that then I definitely would change them!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

An old drill that our coach did with us when we started out was he got us to place on hurl in the end line and go back as far as the '21 and sprint in and pick up the hurl, whichever hand you picked it with was your dominant hand and you were taught accordingly.

Advertisement