Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dual boot windows 7 and 10 on two separate hard drives

• 08-12-2015 7:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I bought an 500gb ssd and want to upgrade my 7 to windows 10,buy wont be upgradeing my current 1tb hdd planning to clean it out and adding it as storage in time but still need access to it at the monent. If i install 7 on to the ssd and upgrade to 10, will there be any problems when i boot up after i press F12 to pick where to boot from. I was told that there could be some sort conflict and wont work. Any advice would be grateful

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

There shouldn't be as the systems are on two separate drives and the boot menu should show both drives.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

If you do it right there shouldn't be. What you need to do is make sure that each disk only has knows about the OS on its own drive, so basically boot each drive with the other drive disconnected. If either drive has any odd BCD entries, remove then before reconnecting both drives.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If paranoid you could set a password on the drives in the BIOS.

Another option would be to export the OLD OS to a VM and shared folders, but you'd have to move a lot of stuff off the 1TB drive and shrink partitions and it's a lot of work.

Advertisement