Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starky interview

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

BTH wrote: »
    Pretty interesting read.

I particularly like this line

http://www.slowtwitch.com/Interview/Starykowicz_in_full_5526.html

"Don't stop for anything, even an accident"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Pretty interesting read.

Funnily enough i trialed the same approach at my last HIM, trained with power and raced by HR with no power meter on the bike. It can be a negative in a race if you are looking down and you are off your power plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Seems like a lucky guy that ended up being sponsored by all the fastest companies, according to him. Seriously though I'd say his sponsors (bike at least) love him, using his engineering back ground to explain why he uses certain equipment. Doesn't really answer the bike 5 mins slower, run 6 mins quicker question either.

I get that he is super fast on the bike but it's a triathlon he's racing not a bike race. I'm not convinced there isn't other pro's out there who could do similar times on the bike, but they leave enough to be able to run faster marathons off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

He is good and controversial and adds to the sport . some good stuff some bs in the interview
    Pretty interesting read.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Funnily enough i trialed the same approach at my last HIM, trained with power and raced by HR with no power meter on the bike. It can be a negative in a race if you are looking down and you are off your power plan.

And the verdict???

• Advertisement

He can't run so of course he has to take a bit more risk on the bike and fact is he is winning more sponsor money than anybody at his level and most of the ones that are a level above he will never get a top 1o in Hawaii but will earn more than the guys tat finish 6-10
    joey100 wrote: »
    Seems like a lucky guy that ended up being sponsored by all the fastest companies, according to him. Seriously though I'd say his sponsors (bike at least) love him, using his engineering back ground to explain why he uses certain equipment. Doesn't really answer the bike 5 mins slower, run 6 mins quicker question either.

I get that he is super fast on the bike but it's a triathlon he's racing not a bike race. I'm not convinced there isn't other pro's out there who could do similar times on the bike, but they leave enough to be able to run faster marathons off it.

And the verdict???

rpe as accurate unles you are a total beginner

And the verdict???

Fastest HIM bike split by 3mins and fastest run split by several minutes. I will be racing without power next year but will continue to train with it. Might have PM for racing but hide data to review afterwards.

peter kern wrote: »
    rpe as accurate unles you are a total beginner

True

i wonder why would your power plan not be more flexiable to allow for variation and using it as an 2nd opion to rpe but not as the ruler ?

it seems your problem is not the powermeter its the expectations you have would that be correct ?

• Advertisement

i wonder why would your power plan not be more flexiable to allow for variation and using it as an 2nd opion to rpe but not as the ruler ?

it seems your problem is not the powermeter its the expectations you have would that be correct ?

My issue in the past was I focussed too much on the numbers. Always flexibile but when you see the numbers are off (in some cases) 25% from motion swim issues it can distract you if you allow it (which I have)

Expectations are mostly realistic now, not so in the past, however it's the not adjusting race plan when things are going off kilter, that's the bigger issue.

Best to listen to the body, go with the flow and smile :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

There is another side to this that people often overlook and Fran kind of alluded to it. Most people bike fresh and see that hitting x number is very manageable. However, after a swim if you're not as swim fit as you think you are or suffer from vertigo or the likes after the swim, then rpe can be much higher, and HR, for the same numbers. So it's not always as straightforward as saying expectations were too high. Swim bike bricks would be a good tool to avoid such issues or at least know how to set your expectations appropriately.

Ego is a b1tch.

tunney wrote: »
    Ego is a b1tch.

it can be naivety too :)

pgibbo wrote: »
    There is another side to this that people often overlook and Fran kind of alluded to it. Most people bike fresh and see that hitting x number is very manageable. However, after a swim if you're not as swim fit as you think you are or suffer from vertigo or the likes after the swim, then rpe can be much higher, and HR, for the same numbers. So it's not always as straightforward as saying expectations were too high. Swim bike bricks would be a good tool to avoid such issues or at least know how to set your expectations appropriately.

the best test is a race ...

the best test is a race ...

"The only true indicator of performance is performance"
    -Someone whose name I cannot remember

well I would think the most impotant time of a control device would be at the start of the bike and hr is the worst reference tool for the first 15 min in any case, a power meter would be much more useful, used on race performance not training perfomances.

in most cases it would be good for long distance atheltes if the rpe at start of the bike is higher than it should. nd realistacally you should never worry about too low effort ( as this cant be change ) you should only worry aobut to high effort as this is likely to bite later on.

"The only true indicator of performance is performance"
    -Someone whose name I cannot remember

anybody concerned aobut perfomance and not playing ftp games (mostly on a turbo ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

I have this issue. trying to get the HR down after the swim and t1. In a HIM i like to keep my hr below 150 on the bike. I practically have to stop to get it down. It solely comes down to not being swim fit enough. No one to blame but myself. 1 long /hard swim a week does not cut it but thats all i can fit in with a squad and in a 50m pool. I believe B2R are swimming 4/5 days a week now around at 90 mins a go. I would doubt there are any swim fit issues there.

Ego is a b1tch.

Whats that got to do with anything discussed above your post?

• Advertisement

Not directed at you.

Alot of the issues people have with power meters is ego related.

A lot to be honest and i think you misread his comment as a personal attack rather than as a matter of fact statement.

as with everythign good decison making is key and often inthe heat of a race we make bad desciosns where we overestimate ourselfves.

A lot to be honest and i think you misread his comment as a personal attack rather than as a matter of fact statement.

as with everythign good decison making is key and often inthe heat of a race we make bad desciosns where we overestimate ourselfves.

No not at all

Not directed at you.

Alot of the issues people have with power meters is ego related.

a lot of issues people have with pacing are ego related ( tegardlsess if rpe power or hr) .
    and maybe a better word for ego would be based on not perfect decsion making during the race . ( can be ego , overmotivation , etc etc)

I have this issue. trying to get the HR down after the swim and t1. In a HIM i like to keep my hr below 150 on the bike. I practically have to stop to get it down. It solely comes down to not being swim fit enough. No one to blame but myself. 1 long /hard swim a week does not cut it but thats all i can fit in with a squad and in a 50m pool. I believe B2R are swimming 4/5 days a week now around at 90 mins a go. I would doubt there are any swim fit issues there.

It must be great having the time to train as consistently and regularly as that. Alas, that's not to be for you or I. Make the most of the time available and race to the best of our abilities after that.

Advertisement