Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I want to quit my job without having a job lined up. Am I mad? Looking for advice.

Options
  • 08-12-2015 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks, looking for a bit of advice. I have been working in this place (a Marketing role) for the last three years, and in the last year or so I have really begun to dread coming to work in the mornings.

I also find myself stressing about my job on weekends (when I'm supposed to be relaxing at home) and even on holidays overseas. It's affecting my relationship with the missus too. I'm often moody and lacking in energy due to work.

Both my managers have quit in the last year or so, along with about 8 other people from my team. It is generally a high-stress work place and when somebody quits, their workload is spread out amongst all of us.

Three years ago I started off as a basic administrator supporting my two managers, but since they left (one in mid 2014, the other in early 2015) I have been landed with the bulk of their workload. This includes recently being asked to come up with the 2016 plan, as I am the only person left who has any clue about my department. This sounds like a great career progression path, but I'm not actually moving up the ladder. I am all over the ladder, doing the work of three people. I am still doing all the tasks I did as an admin back in the day, plus my managers work, plus the work of her manager. I asked for help earlier this year, and was given a work experience student for 3 weeks.

I have been very stressed for the last year or so, which resulted in a burn-out this summer and I had to take some time off. I also was on Xanax for a couple of months, but gave that up as it made my head too foggy for the work I was doing.

I often daydream about quitting and trying my luck with photography, which is my real passion.

I would love to get a part time job in a shop, and focus my energy on photography, rather than stressing myself bald in my current job.

I don't really see an end to this stress any time soon. I have been thinking (more like daydreaming, like you would daydream about a palm tree beach holiday) about quitting for the last year, but have hesitated due to the fact that I "should be happy to have a job". But I am not happy.

Now this is the crazy part. I would like to hand in my notice when I come back from Christmas holidays. As a gift to myself. A new start/ new years resolution. I feel like I need a break from the work place for a month at least, just to give my brain some time to breathe.

I also want to try my luck as a photographer. I had a short stint of getting paid photography work, but had to stop as my 9-5 job meant I was turning down clients. The phone calls eventually stopped as I was never really available.

So, am I mad?

If I hand in my notice in early Jan next year, even without a job lined up, I know I will feel absolutely fantabulous.

Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

Can you support yourself for a few months? If so go for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Nono Toure

Hi folks, looking for a bit of advice. I have been working in this place (a Marketing role) for the last three years, and in the last year or so I have really begun to dread coming to work in the mornings.

I also find myself stressing about my job on weekends (when I'm supposed to be relaxing at home) and even on holidays overseas. It's affecting my relationship with the missus too. I'm often moody and lacking in energy due to work.

Both my managers have quit in the last year or so, along with about 8 other people from my team. It is generally a high-stress work place and when somebody quits, their workload is spread out amongst all of us.

Three years ago I started off as a basic administrator supporting my two managers, but since they left (one in mid 2014, the other in early 2015) I have been landed with the bulk of their workload. This includes recently being asked to come up with the 2016 plan, as I am the only person left who has any clue about my department. This sounds like a great career progression path, but I'm not actually moving up the ladder. I am all over the ladder, doing the work of three people. I am still doing all the tasks I did as an admin back in the day, plus my managers work, plus the work of her manager. I asked for help earlier this year, and was given a work experience student for 3 weeks.

I have been very stressed for the last year or so, which resulted in a burn-out this summer and I had to take some time off. I also was on Xanax for a couple of months, but gave that up as it made my head too foggy for the work I was doing.

I often daydream about quitting and trying my luck with photography, which is my real passion.

I would love to get a part time job in a shop, and focus my energy on photography, rather than stressing myself bald in my current job.

I don't really see an end to this stress any time soon. I have been thinking (more like daydreaming, like you would daydream about a palm tree beach holiday) about quitting for the last year, but have hesitated due to the fact that I "should be happy to have a job". But I am not happy.

Now this is the crazy part. I would like to hand in my notice when I come back from Christmas holidays. As a gift to myself. A new start/ new years resolution. I feel like I need a break from the work place for a month at least, just to give my brain some time to breathe.

I also want to try my luck as a photographer. I had a short stint of getting paid photography work, but had to stop as my 9-5 job meant I was turning down clients. The phone calls eventually stopped as I was never really available.

So, am I mad?

If I hand in my notice in early Jan next year, even without a job lined up, I know I will feel absolutely fantabulous.

Thanks for reading.

There's your answer right there. Stress of a job isn't worth it. Life is too short to be stressed and to "be grateful you have a job" nonsense..

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Gerry T

Have you commitments that your salary is needed to pay, like mortgage, utility bills, creche fees etc....
    If so then don't pack in your job, but do two things. One dust off your CV and think about another job, those bills need paying. But maybe a job with some flexibility, say 4 day week or early shift so you can also take up your photography passion. Set a goal to be out of your job in 3 to 6 months, but best not to plan on staying.
    Finally tell your boss your not the manager and your happy to help him set next yrs targets but your not responsible for the targets to be met, tell him that's his job. Don't be afraid to point out your more than happy to muck in due to leavers but it's his (the boss) problem to fix, not yours.

Forgot to add, your tax is Jan to Jan. If you stop working in April or may and don't have a job you will get the majority of your
    tax back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭ponzook

Get your C.V done, get someone to proof read it and get it out there.
    Give yourself a month to think it over and then if it is that bad hand in your notice. Nothing is worse than a job where your deeply unhappy with bad employers who all they care about it profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭Bigus

Go for it , an if they can't survive without you , triple you pay with more staff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Just remember you won't get social welfare for 9 weeks.
    Best get a job lined up first.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

To be honest mate It sounds like you'd be mad to stay there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Hi slightlystressed

This will be of little use I'm afraid.

I found myself in a very similar position in my last job in the UK. I was a team leader. In the space of about 6/7 years the company went from 9 team leaders (during which I was the happiest I've ever been) to one (me). Me for the whole of the fcuking UK.

It was awful. Cut a long story short we sold up and moved back here. We have never been happier. One dog, 44 hens and seven ducks - but no money :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

What are your financial responsibilities? Are you supporting a spouse or children?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

It might sound like crazy talk... but have you had this conversation with your boss (the full conversation as above, not just "asking for help").

Employers have a duty of care to their staff and stress / unhappiness to this level which has been demonstrably caused by workplace environment or change in conditions is THEIR problem to resolve. Honestly... have that awkward & difficult conversation with your boss. If nothing changes, leave the place as clearly they have no intention of remedying the situation and they aren't worth stressing over (but start looking for work now....). What have you got to lose....?

• Advertisement

One dog, 44 hens and seven ducks

What the hell kinda team were you leading?! :eek:

:P

OP, Say it to the boss first. Be up front and honest. If they don't care; tell them you've lost interest and move on.

I used to work in a job like that, that I hated thoroughly. Left one day with a smile on my face. You might have a few tough weeks/months ahead, but in 10 years time will you even remember it? Of course not. Onwards and upwards!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,514 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

dont hang around too long there op. best to get that cv in order and move on. you could also hit your doc up for some 'illness benefit' to get some time out from your current situation, just to buy you some time and peace from your job. you ll have to talk this out with your family and see whats best for all involved. best of luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭Evd-Burner

Just remember you won't get social welfare for 9 weeks.
    Best get a job lined up first.

Not entirely true. When you apply for social welfare you can explain the high levels of stress and that you have had to go out sick as a result. The officer who takes your case may wave the 9 weeks if you are able to successfully argue your case for leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Legion

Hi slightystressed, I did it recently after working in my last Job for 15 years, the last 3 years of that was a horrendous time for me and I decided that it just wasnt worth it anymore. I wont go into the details but it was either my mental health or the job...it was a no brainer for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,514 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Evd-Burner wrote: »
    Not entirely true. When you apply for social welfare you can explain the high levels of stress and that you have had to go out sick as a result. The officer who takes your case may wave the 9 weeks if you are able to successfully argue your case for leaving.

even though this might work id highly recommend illness benefit. might strengthen the case later on if unemployed. also creates an option to stay on in the current job if needs be.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 CodeNameEagle

So, am I mad?

Thanks for reading.

Man i know what your talking about. :)
    I just READ the first 2 paragraphs and said to my self, "Dude, what kind of life is that? - Miserable"

+1 Can you support yourself for a few months? If so go for it! (Don't even think twice)

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I feel your pain, and like its been said, if you can survive a few week without money then run!

The last few weeks have been especially awful.
    I have a permanent knot in my stomach. Im not sleeping or eating at all,so by time i get to work im too tired to even concentrate. My sunday blues start when i leave on a friday.

I went through a bad phase a few year back...promising myself id leave but never did. Its worse this time around though. In most ways, Its a good company to work for but i hate my work and im not the best at it either. But to earn a wage anywhere near what i do now...ill have to get a similar role and another company could be ****e to work for. Bluggggh

Not trying to hijck your thred...just saying that im with you. Hope you have courage to get out of there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭The Masculinist

You sound really stressed and it is affecting your mental well being. Go to your GP, get a sick note and take some time off. Maybe then find a new job.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭eladnova

>>I often daydream about quitting and trying my luck with photography, which is my real passion.

Are you taking about working in a fulltime photography role or being self employed? Because I know several talented photographers who were self employed and have had to pack it in and join the fulltime employment world. IE the opposite of what you're thinking.

Photography is an extremely competitive industry where the perceived entry barrier has been lowered massively in the past decade. Everyone with a camera and a Flickr account thinks they're a photographer these days.

That's my only caution. I think you owe it to yourself to follow your dreams but I think do a little research first. Find out what the photography industry is really like right now. Maybe post in the photography forums and show some of your work?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Just remember there are few things more stressful than having no money and having loved ones to look after so think of frying pans and fires before you pull the pin.

But your health comes first. Good luck either way.

• Advertisement

Why don't you look for a part time job with lower stress levels and this would at least give you some income while you pursue your photography. It doesn't have to be in the field of work you are currently in. I think you should definitely leave where you are now as it's only going to get worse there by the sounds of it (speaking from a similar experience). The advice given by another poster in relation to your tax is good too - pick your time to quit and it may be to your benefit.

No job is worth having that type of stress but definitely plan it out before you walk away. There is no point in leaving there & then having a different type of stress worrying about living expenses etc. I can tell you though the feeling of relief when you do leave is the best feeling in the world!

Hi Folks, OP here.

I have no mortgage, kids, loans. Nothing to eat into my savings. I am sharing a nice house with housemates & rent is only €290 / month. I'm 29 by the way if that matters.

I have enough money to last me a few months for sure.

I understand that the photography industry is very competitive now. But the small amount of time I did have myself out there, I was getting regular calls for jobs. With a website, business cards, a bit of marketing, I think I could get enough work to keep me going. Perhaps supplement it with part time work somewhere.

If I don't give it a shot I'll always be wondering if I could have made it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

I have done it. I decided to leave about 2 months ago and I am finished at the end of this week. Using remaining annual leave for the year to finish up early but still get paid until Christmas. Nothing lined up. Don't care. Have a bit of money I could live comfortably as I have become accustomed to and pay bills for about 3 months, but no more really. I wasn't as stressed as you but just decided I need a month or so off. I hope to be back working by start of February I will do a few things in the house to keep me occupied in January. My advice, do it. Never look back.

I quit a job about a year ago without having another one lined up. I was in it for about 14 months and I can honestly say it was the most miserable 14 months of my life. I was out of work for six months after it but then I got a job that I really enjoyed. That was only a contract and it has come to an end now so I am out of work again but I honestly don't regret my decision for a minute. In fact my only regret is not leaving it sooner.
    It was easier for me to do it as I am not married, and have no kids or a mortgage.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭scobyobrien

Same story here man. I am doing debt collection for the last 9 years( and throw a recession mind you) stress was unbelievable, constant abuse from people, threats...etc. Why I stayed that long I will never know.

Leaving my job in January to do photography. Life is far far too short, sure I wasted 9 years in one place. Never going to have any regrets about my decision to do what I am doing. Enough money saved to survive a while but I know myself it will be tough and wont have money for a while but I am looking long term.

I think instead of Social Welfare you can do this http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/Enterprise-Allowance-Self-Employed.aspx I don't know an awful lot about it to be honest just yet, but it states that you will get a percentage of social welfare plus some grants to help you get started for two years. IF I do get it, the money will be used to pay petrol and bills, which I will be putting through the business. I'll speak to my local TD or somebody in the area who can give me guidance.

Best of luck with your decision on what you want to do, but like I said, life is far too short to be stuck doing something you do not want to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭blinkey 101

Tell your boss he's a cock get him to sack you. you'll get your Dole in no time.that will see you through the Xmas .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Tell your boss he's a cock get him to sack you. you'll get your Dole in no time.that will see you through the Xmas .

Purposely loosing your job is frowned upon by SW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

If I was the OP I would leave nothing is worth that stress. I have done it, and even though I was worse off, I was much happier.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Do it! I did 3 years ago and it was the best decision I made! I was offered the first job I applied for after redundancy and pressured into making a decision by them blah blah blah.. anyways job wasn't what was advertised and I was miserable. I was lucky that the 9 weeks was waived and went straight back on to job seekers. I was honest with the guy and said the job wasn't what I'd been promised and I stuck it out for 3 months but couldn't take it any longer etc. I'd had an interview for a multinational a week after starting in the crap job and made a good impression because I was called back for 2 other roles and got the third one 2 months after leaving - there 3 years and love it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 kingrulzuk

Hi Folks, OP here.

I have no mortgage, kids, loans. Nothing to eat into my savings. I am sharing a nice house with housemates & rent is only €290 / month. I'm 29 by the way if that matters.

I have enough money to last me a few months for sure.

I understand that the photography industry is very competitive now. But the small amount of time I did have myself out there, I was getting regular calls for jobs. With a website, business cards, a bit of marketing, I think I could get enough work to keep me going. Perhaps supplement it with part time work somewhere.

If I don't give it a shot I'll always be wondering if I could have made it.

Job is not that important than health

Advertisement