Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I want to quit my job without having a job lined up. Am I mad? Looking for advice.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

I guess many can relate to being stuck in job they dont like,been in one for 7 hell years,getting paid at the end of week was only motivation that keept me at it.
    That said time went on and id say ill get out one day,but truth be told i wasn't preparing,as some weeks would go great then being put back in place as in youll be stuck in same role forever-I could put in more effort,but field in general wasnt anything id would wanted to move into as a career.
    then some spark happened that i decided to slowly scratch every extra and put it aside-that took almost couple years and i still barely had a dent in savings.
    But one week after being all fed up,came home and said that is it,its not worth it,went into office gave my letter of resignation and never looked back.

With that said since you dont have any hard responsibilities,decide what is more important to you,and once you ready and if decide to go,prepare in you head what you really want to do,what sort of work would suite you and go back either to education,or seek courses training asap,as its really easy to leave,but it also eventually starts to catch up with you since days turn into weeks/months and while you get minimum,it wont get you anywhere,just sucked into state where you might not even look for another job or not know what you want to do.

But seeing your post about passion for photography,and past experience,if you can sit out another few months or year just saving,towards career change time will go by and you'll know when you can get out and not worry too much for next couple months to come.As i know photography pays well,but to stay in such field you need to have income to invest into gear,possibly some extra courses to refresh on your skills and still manage your bills extra cash going out every week,since dole is is bare minimum and not being waster on it, will still leave you tight every week for any cash.

As someone said it would be wise to put time aside as sick leave and go into photo business and see how that works out for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

I wasted over 20 odd years being a fish out of water in jobs that don't suit my personality, unless that monthly pay is crucial to dependents or commitments then f**k it off and get your life back OP.

Advertisement