Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Going Grey dis-gracefully ?

• 08-12-2015 12:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭

I'm in my early 40's and just starting to see a bit of salt'n'pepper appearing through my hair. I am keeping the grey at bay at the moment by getting my hair cut maybe every 5 weeks. Luckily I have sandy brown hair which means the grey is not as noticeable as it might be if I was dark brown or black.

I know its vain and a lot of people will say .. just go grey .. think of George Clooney etc. etc.

Sorry ... but you have to look like George Clooney to begin with, to pull off grey hair.... I will just look like an older, tired, less attractive version of ME frown.png

I work in a fairly young and dynamic job and I'm still single and like to date younger women (don't we all?) so looking old is a problem.

Any suggestions of dying products that actually work... and not look too fake.

A polish barber recently offered me some Polish product .. but I declined, for fear of its quality, fearing it might be battery acid or something

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,547 ✭✭✭Stigura

bcklschaps wrote: »
    I will just look like an older, tired, less attractive version of ME.

Sleep more? Worry less about the fact that you Are becoming an older version of YOU?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

As the saying goes...

Never regret growing old, it's a privilege denied to many.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

Woman's opinion here (who is going grey very disgracefully, but understands it's harder to get away with pink hair as a bloke...) - if you're not comfortable going grey (which looks phenomenal on many men btw) then you'll have to do the same as many maturing women do and go a shade lighter instead of trying to dye your hair the same colour as you had. Reason being, the grey outgrowth looks far better next to lighter shades than it does next to darker. You'd have to get it done professionally though, and as often as every two months (longer than if you dyed it your old colour and had to keep it up) if you're trying to pretend you're not going grey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭mmg0305

Seconding the advice to consult a professional. There's a huge difference between colouring your hair for fun and colouring it so nobody can tell it's not your natural colour.

Going a tiny bit lighter is also good advice. Lots of people try to keep their original colour and it ends up looking very harsh and can be more ageing than grey hair. Although this is more of an issue with darker hair, so may not apply so much to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

Get off the cross, I'm 27 and greying at the sides like a man that has served in 'Nam. I get my hair shaved approx. very two weeks but there is no denying it, I'm going to be full on grey soon. (I get a one on the back and sides and trim on top)

Have often thought about getting it dyed, or growing it a little longer which I think suits grey.

Will conduct a survey with the ladies in the office and report back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

I work in a fairly young and dynamic job and I'm still single and like to date younger women (don't we all?) so looking old is a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 putthekettleon

There are products out there that are designed to dye most of the grey but leave a bit. I use them myself, can't really recommend anything in Ireland as I'm living in Japan.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭foxatron

Im 34, started getting a few grey hairs about 5 years ago. Have a fair few now. Much more noticable when my hair gets a little longer. I normally have it short enough. Have to say it doesnt bother me. Is it just me or are younger people getting grey quicker these days or was it the same say 50 years ago?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

I'm in my early forties myself and my advice to you is don't start dying your hair. As far as i have seen any man who dyes his hair, you can spot the dye job from a mile away.
    Most women don't mind or like a bit of grey, if your looking to impress your workmates or women, i don't think they would be too impressed if word got out that your so insecure that the old just for men was being used.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭b4bmm

There are products out there that are designed to dye most of the grey but leave a bit. I use them myself, can't really recommend anything in Ireland as I'm living in Japan.

What products would you recommend?
    It's easy to order stuff over the Internet nowadays. There are some JFM products that claim to blend in with your natural hair colour gradually. The more you use the. More grey that gets covered up. I have yet to try these, has someone else?

I am very grey for my age, early 30s and have already played with JFM type products. Very hard to get consistent each time and mostly it looked very obvious and fake so I gave it up. I thought the fake colour looked worse than having the grey. Never went to see a professional but maybe that is the way to go, I may do so in the future. Problem is if you have short hair and/or hair that grows quite quickly you would need to dye it every month or else change your style of haircut to have longer hair because they grey comes through very quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭uch

Jaysus lads, I started going grey in my early teens, and I'm an extremely hairy fécker (used to be called captain Caveman in school) whats the big deal

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭b4bmm

Early 20s for me. Now early 30s.
    It's all good if you have a significant other already but at this age trying to play the single game isn't quite so easy when people maybe have the preconception of you being a lot later in years.

Maybe I'm dreaming on that front but it's definitely not much of a benefit I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭silverbolt

Ive been going grey since my early twenties, its genetic as I have my mothers hair and shes the same. Now at 34 I have quite a lot of it. however because I'm a young looking 34 year old I dye mine. I dont want grey hair lol.

OP if you dont want the grey then go and dye it. Its your hair adn your appearance, do what makes you happy. Yes grey in men has a societal nicety to it but at the end of the day its how you feel about yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

I'm in my early 40's and just starting to see a bit of salt'n'pepper appearing through my hair. I am keeping the grey at bay at the moment by getting my hair cut maybe every 5 weeks. Luckily I have sandy brown hair which means the grey is not as noticeable as it might be if I was dark brown or black.

I know its vain and a lot of people will say .. just go grey .. think of George Clooney etc. etc.

Sorry ... but you have to look like George Clooney to begin with, to pull off grey hair.... I will just look like an older, tired, less attractive version of ME frown.png

A polish barber recently offered me some Polish product .. but I declined, for fear of its quality, fearing it might be battery acid or something
    Hang your head over the end of your bed and give your scalp a gush of blood, it prevents grey hair and it works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

To answer the OP's question, any of the better box dyes for women will do OK. It's just hair. Protect bare skin with a little petroleum jelly, don't overdo it on timing, and make sure you rinse very thoroughly. Since you will probably want to color more often than someone with longer hair, go for a semi-permanent color to avoid excessive buildup which can make your hair look too dark and dull.

These colors are also available as a two-part mix (like mixing epoxy, just take the two parts, mix, and apply) from professional beauty supply shops. You buy the color in a tube like art paint and mix it with a developer (low strength for dark colors, high strength for blond colors) in a 1:1 or 1:2 ratio. Professional colors will cost you less in the long run because you can mix just a bit instead of having to use up a whole box each time. The shop staff will be happy to help you and will not make you feel awkward for being a man.

I'm a woman who has colored my hair for years. The buildup was ridiculous. I tried using a color remover, which did not work much and made my hair smell bad for months. Finally I went to a salon once my hair had reached about three inches of gray and asked for help. They told me I could no longer dye until the mistreated portion of my hair grew out. So now I'm bicolored, lol. To my surprise, after a nice cut, it doesn't look too bad. Hooray for the younger set and their trendy two-color jobs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,644 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I'm in my 40's and going grey for last 6/8 years.

It isn't even though and have a near white patch in my fringe and another further back. Have a full thick head of hair with no thinning at all. Been called a badger more than once.

Don't care a bit, I keep it cut tidy and that's all I would ever do.

I agree with above posters that men colouring their hair can be spotted a mile off and I'm not sure women take to that sort of vanity at all.

Advertisement