Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving from A2 to A

Options
  • 08-12-2015 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hello fellow riders!

So im pretty new to the whole motorbiking scene, been riding for past 6months on a Ninja 250r and it has been the best decision i've made in quite some time :D

I currently hold A2 provisional licence. My question is.. If i was to do the driving test (im 24 now), will it automatically be for category A, or do I have to do some extra test to gain A category on my provisional licence first before i do the driving test?

Thanks in advance & stay safe!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Could be wrong on this! If you do your A2 full test and pass, all you then need to do is take mod 5 from the IBT and you'll be able to get the full A.

Hope this helps :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

If you got the A IBT cert, then the most direct way is to go back to the NDLS, add category A to your permit and pass the full test on an A bike (hire one from your instructor if need be) and you're completely done. Any other way is a faff, tbh.

If your IBT cert is for A2, then you need to add category A and go back to your instructor for an A IBT cert. You can add category A to your permit in advance of completing IBT for A but it won't be a valid learner category until you have the IBT for A completed.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

If you pass the test on an A2 licence, you will have to wait 2 years to be elibible for an A licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

Pugzilla wrote: »
    If you pass the test on an A2 licence, you will have to wait 2 years to be elibible for an A licence.

Only if your under the age of 24. Once you hit 24 or when you 2 year restriction is up you can move onto an A licence. God I miss the old licencing laws.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

Ayrtonf7 wrote: »
    Only if your under the age of 24. Once you hit 24 or when you 2 year restriction is up you can move onto an A licence. God I miss the old licencing laws.

Not without getting a learner permit and IBT for A and doing the driving test again, which is something anyone without an A2 licence can do.

Otherwise, with the A2 you have to wait 2 years to convert to A with Module 5 whilst avoiding the test. Age is irrelevant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 xsil

Lads,

moving from A2 to A with a struggle...

had the paper A learner permit before, once it expired I wanted to take driving exam and get a full A, but I was late like 2 days with the application, so the new rules kicked in.
    I was told I have to go for driving exam now to get only an A2, but after 2 years I will progress to A.
    Now the A2 licence is expired and to progress to A, NDLS is telling me to apply for another A learner permit and complete the whole set of IBT's.

Is it for real the only way to get to the full A?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Expired licenses count for nothing (as well as expired IBTs, they go off after 2 years). So yeah, you're back to square one (if I understand you right).

• Registered Users Posts: 9 xsil

The A2 is just expired last week...
    what would be the shortest path to the full A?
    I am over 30 y o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Direct access: theory test, provisional A, IBT, wait 6 months, test.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

xsil wrote: »
    The A2 is just expired last week...
    what would be the shortest path to the full A?
    I am over 30 y o

Go to NDLS and renew it for cat A.
    Complete IBT.
    Apply for your test then ( no 6 month rule because its not your 1st )

• Advertisement
Advertisement