Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UCL Wolfsburg v Manchester United match thread

18910111214»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Lvg has to take the blame for that. It's not tonight that cost utd failure to beat psv over 2 games was the killer. Unlucky with injuries going into the game tonight but it was his decision to go with a trimmed down squad and it came back to bite him tonight. Hard to believe the 11 utd had on the pitch at the end of the game in what was their biggest game of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,609 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Fcuk me, Neil Lenmon doesn't look well. Would remind you of the Emperor from Star Wars.

Bolton the club he's managing are facing a winding up order. Should've bailed out himself last summer.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/35034077

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

United are a fallen giant, I don't think even united fans realised how big the Fergie effect was. When he left the squad was shown up for what it was, unable to compete at the top level.
    Moyes struggled and after a clear out of £300m it's debatable if united are in any better position.

The academy is producing nothing so any hope of a new breed is hopless.

United will continue to boast big balance sheets but the best they will attract to the club are the players the true giants don't want.

Club is in massive decline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,850 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Your tears are delicious lad.
    :D

No tears here my friend. But well done by proving my point and your continued contributions to the soccer forum. I'll pm you later and you can tell me what it's like to be in the Europa league. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Thats a bit harsh but the golden years are well over. Just one of many now. But in fairness. Better been great and fallen than never been great. They'll be back soon enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

rob316 wrote: »
    United are a fallen giant, I don't think even united fans realised how big the Fergie effect was. When he left the squad was shown up for what it was, unable to compete at the top level.
    Moyes struggled and after a clear out of £300m it's debatable if united are in any better position.

United will continue to boast big balance sheets but the best they will attract to the club are the players the true giants don't want.

Eamonn Dunphy is that you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Van Gaal on BT clearing everything up. Apparently it was the referee's fault all along.

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Eamonn Dunphy is that you?

Only the most blinkered united fan would disagree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Andre 3000

Jan Laco wrote: »
    I think it's time to seperate boards.ie into an adult and kid forum

I'd hate to see the United fans leave for the kid's forum...throwing the toys out of the pram and being bitter whenever they lose and acting all innocent then after they mock other teams losing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

They are a couple of points off the top of the league. Fallen giant is reserved for clubs like Leeds or whoever, not even Liverpool wold fall into that bracket. Ridiculous hyperbole.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Do people actually cry when their team loses?

Lots of talk of tears. It is only sport, not a death of a family member.

Watch us steam roll the league and Europa now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

I've seen some drivel here tonight but you take first prize. Congratulations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,850 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

to be honest.. coming out with guff like that.. you should in an ideal world have your soccer forum access revoked. United are there and there about's in the league, going through a tough patch and some with injuries and have been in transition somewhat since Fergie left. It was always likely to a point when the best manager the English game has seen left after that many years. Club is still a major financial powerhouse and there are some decent youngsters coming through. But please by all means stick to your agenda as it will please you more then anything like supporting your own team will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,943 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

2 world cup winners subbed to make way for Nick Powell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Brian Kerr is on another level compared to those other clowns on TV3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

You have to expect, after a manager of the legendary status of Ferguson, that there could be 3 to 4 years of lean times. Relatively speaking.

Look at the mess after Busby?

Older fans will remember when ManU were nowhere in the league and being beaten by the likes of Videoton in Europe (Google it). Even older fans again will remember relegation in the 70s. Grips need to be obtained quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    That we have a better team than yours.

Who do I support?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Exciting Night.

But Wolfsburg were the better team.

Van Gaal has got loads of money to buy new players and they get knocked out at the group stage.

De Gea pulled off some decent saves.

• Advertisement

Strumms wrote: »
    Better to be there, give it your all, have that chance and enjoy great European nights then the likes of Liverpool fans who know they didn't get there. Won't be there next season so will just have to get your kicks on United not qualifying. Liverpool will get 6th maybe. Bringing up the rear when it comes to class though, consistently :)

I'm not a Liverpool fan, but I'd rather be in their position than Uniteds, especially now

They are a couple of points off the top of the league. Fallen giant is reserved for clubs like Leeds or whoever, not even Liverpool wold fall into that bracket. Ridiculous hyperbole.

The top teams in the premier league are very poor winning it doesn't prove you are a top European team. Your the best of a bad bunch if you do.

World class bastian cast off by Bayern ye gladly took him to sell a few jerseys but he is miles past it.
    ADM, if he was as good as ye thought he was real wouldn't have sold him.
    The big clubs do not sell players they don't want to.

United always had a group of top strikers, who do ye have now.

A manager that believes in not losing over winning...doesn't sound the United way to me.

Uncle ed will keep throwing out the sponsorship deals and making ye commercially the greatest club in history but there will be little to show on the pitch.

I'm not a Liverpool fan, but I'd rather be in their position than Uniteds, especially now

Playing Sion on Thursday, losing to Newcastle?

I've seen some drivel here tonight but you take first prize. Congratulations.

Yippee what do I get.

Hit a nerve?

RobertKK wrote: »
    Playing Sion on Thursday, losing to Newcastle?

In which United have just joined them on Thursdays. Want me to go through who United have lost to under LVG?

Great contribution.

In which United have just joined them on Thursdays. Want me to go through who United have lost to under LVG?

You can if you want.

Just stating I don't agree with you.

Hit a nerve?

Absolutely not. I actually enjoyed the game bar the result, not even mad over that either. It was a big ask with the team that was out there and it was the previous games where it was lost, they had me pissed off.

Sorry no prize either.

"Don't phone, it's just for fun"

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Strange that Carrick and young didn't start. I wonder if there is a bit of tension with the senior English players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Wolfsburg have lost one game at home in league since early 2014. Damage was done for United in previous matches .
    A lot to ask to go there and win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,055 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Older fans will remember when ManU were nowhere in the league and being beaten by the likes of Videoton in Europe (Google it). Even older fans again will remember relegation in the 70s. Grips need to be obtained quickly.

The one thing that Utd don't have now is stability.

For a couple of decades they were solid due to Fergie and the fact that they didn't have the constant changing of managers and squad that 99% of teams face every couple of years (if not more often).

Once Fergie went, that was Utd now into that group. You can go out and pay big wages for the likes of Jose, LVG, Hiddink etc but none of them will ever stay for more than4yrs or so, and as a result, you will always have the chopping and changing of a squad and club which doesn't lend itself to stability.

Wolfsburg have lost one game at home in league since early 2014. Damage was done for United in previous matches .
    A lot to ask to go there and win.

You're right about the damage being done earlier but Wolfsburg were there for the taking tonight, United's defensive woes cost them.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

they buy Di Maria then sell him cos they dont know what to do with him. Now hes at PSG and has 3 goals in 4 games in the CL and 4 in 9 in the league. Hes very obviously an excellent player.
    There has to be something fundamentally wrong for that to happen. How do you go to one of the biggest clubs in the world and not fit in only to go to another and fit like a glove. Oh and who has the better CL record over the past 3 seasons? The team with the good footballer is who. This isnt just an indictment of United, its of the whole of the Premier League. Completely blind to whats been going on in Europe and after England, Wales, NI and Ireland get clobbered in Euro 2016 we will hear about this all again and nothing will be done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

BMMachine wrote: »
    they buy Di Maria then sell him cos they dont know what to do with him. Now hes at PSG and has 3 goals in 4 games in the CL and 4 in 9 in the league. Hes very obviously an excellent player.
    There has to be something fundamentally wrong for that to happen. How do you go to one of the biggest clubs in the world and not fit in only to go to another and fit like a glove. Oh and who has the better CL record over the past 3 seasons? The team with the good footballer is who. This isnt just an indictment of United, its of the whole of the Premier League. Completely blind to whats been going on in Europe and after England, Wales, NI and Ireland get clobbered in Euro 2016 we will hear about this all again and nothing will be done

This is a completely ill-informed and disingenuous recounting of the Di Maria tale and of his time at PSG so far.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/613406/Laurent-Blanc-Paris-Saint-Germain-Angel-Di-Maria-Manchester-United-Average

Don't feel bad though, this thread is littered with people who seem to have caught the last couple of mins of a United game and feel that they are entitled to an opinion. So have at it I guess.

Di Maria's stats at United were decent too. I guess it all depends on the narrative you choose to portray.

This is a completely ill-informed and disingenuous recounting of the Di Maria tale and of his time at PSG so far.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/613406/Laurent-Blanc-Paris-Saint-Germain-Angel-Di-Maria-Manchester-United-Average

Don't feel bad though, this thread is littered with people who seem to have caught the last couple of mins of a United game and feel that they are entitled to an opinion. So have at it I guess.

4 goals, 6 assists in 10 games (2 as a sub). Pretty good no?
    and that article says "Di Maria's had an average early part of the season"
    and I watched the whole match. I saw United struggle against an average enough European side and not for the first time. Look at the other English teams in the CL - bang average and will probably get knocked out in the 2nd round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Is this how the majority of people support teams around here? Come into match threads to post lol and gifs every time something happens to the team they don't like? Jaysus lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

BMMachine wrote: »
    4 goals, 6 assists in 10 games (2 as a sub). Pretty good no?
    and that article says "Di Maria's had an average early part of the season"
    and I watched the whole match. I saw United struggle against an average enough European side and not for the first time. Look at the other English teams in the CL - bang average and will probably get knocked out in the 2nd round.

French league is a 1 horse race.

City topped their Champions League group.

You're right about the damage being done earlier but Wolfsburg were there for the taking tonight

Were they?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Were they?

Yes.

Yes.

And so were United, hence why they lost. Wolfsburg could have scored another 3 or 4 themselves. United were also there for the taking in the first leg v Wolfsburg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Wolfsburg are actually a good team. yes, they lost De Bruyne, but it's still the vast majority of the team that came 2nd in the Bundesliga.

it's the fúcking up against PSV that's the issue. anyone can lost to Wolfsburg, but PSV really aren't very good right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Omackeral wrote: »
    Is this how the majority of people support teams around here? Come into match threads to post lol and gifs every time something happens to the team they don't like? Jaysus lads!

And those thanking this post are some of the main people to do it :):rolleyes:

And those thanking this post are some of the main people to do it :):rolleyes:

hahaha Mick thanking that post :o
    Thankfully theres a seperate thread for trolling, the humour thread

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement