Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UCL Wolfsburg v Manchester United match thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

Unearthly wrote: »
    Linesman instructed by Dante what to do 30 seconds later

You could see him pointing towards the box and presumably taking to his work mates about what happened before anyone came over

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Mata maybe obscuring the goalkeeper from an offside position. Not sure why else?

Looked like he threw a little dummy as well which is a definite movement to play the ball.
    No way that goal could have stood.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

That's an almost perfect example of why this new offside rule is in effect. Benaglio clearly hesitates, anticipating a touch from Mata, as such he's interfered with play while in an offside position, thus it's offside. The only thing I'm confused about is why it took the linesman so long to reach that decision, I suppose to determine if the referee believed Mata interfered with play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Nalz wrote: »
    Correct call but we'll done? Would he have called it if the Wolfsburg players hadn't ran over?

If it's the correct call then yes it's well done. You think he should have given the wrong decision? What he would've done at the other end is irrelevant to this being a good call. Same whether the players run over or not. He's talking to the ref

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

The comfort for Utd is that Wolfsburg don't look in anyway solid at the back and seem committed to streaming forward on the break. So there are goals there. Plus any sort of CSKA goal sends them through right now.

Canadel wrote: »
    2-1 a fair result at half time. Utd would have taken that before the game. Still going to require a lot of luck to qualify/score etc.

What?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

jaykay74 wrote: »
    are you thick ? :confused:

You my friend just bit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Canadel wrote: »
    2-1 a fair result at half time. Utd would have taken that before the game. Still going to require a lot of luck to qualify/score etc.
    jaykay74 wrote: »
    are you thick ? :confused:
    what a ****ing retarded statement
    adox wrote: »
    What?

Ha! We're all having fun eh? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Surely I'm not the only one who sees a lack of leadership in Smalling? I mean he has stepped up manfully to the task this year I will concede, but just seems a bit.....too nice or something to be really top drawer. Was equally guilty for ball watching for Wolfsburg's second, and got badly caught up the field for the Draxler chance soon after.

Just a thought. Maybe Schneiderlin in front of him has been a big factor in United's defensive security.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

You could see him pointing towards the box and presumably taking to his work mates about what happened before anyone came over

Fairly clear almost as soon as the ball went in that he was talking to them despite what Owen Hargreaves says.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Home decision from the Lino there. Happens I guess.

Basti and Blind letting themselves down badly but the high press system on display does not suit slow players like them.

Memphis having an utter shocker tonight.

• Site Banned Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭XR3i

score?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Alex Meier

Very poor from Mata.

He's in an offside position as he can see right across the line.

So what does he do?

He runs FORWARD.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Home decision from the Lino there. Happens I guess.

Basti and Blind letting themselves down badly but the high press system on display does not suit slow players like them.

Memphis having an utter shocker tonight.

LOL no. It's the correct decision. It's likely to be the type of example they will show referees of what constitutes as offside and that certainly does under these new rules.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Edit: On seeing the full replay, the lino ignores Dante, he has been in conversation with the ref from the moment it happened.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Refs apparently now having to be instantaneous as well as flawless. Tough job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Linesman doesn't even look at Dante :D.

glued wrote: »
    There should be a position opening. This is arguably the weakest group in the CL. Wolfsburg and PSV probably won't get to the quarter finals. We're miles off being competitive in the CL and playing football that Moyes would be proud of. How can you trust van Gaal with more money when this is the production of his philosophy?

I read this week they're willing to pass over Pep to keep lvg will only be staying for another season anyways. Not a big pep fan but that's crazy if they really think that way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Linesman doesn't even look at Dante :D.

Yeah he's clearly talking past Dante to the ref while taking the time they need to make the correct decision.

• Advertisement

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    The comfort for Utd is that Wolfsburg don't look in anyway solid at the back and seem committed to streaming forward on the break. So there are goals there. Plus any sort of CSKA goal sends them through right now.

60930800.jpg

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

I presumed the fourth official got involved through their high tech ear piece thingy.

Either way it's all simmantics. The goal should never have stood.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

That's an almost perfect example of why this new offside rule is in effect. Benaglio clearly hesitates, anticipating a touch from Mata, as such he's interfered with play while in an offside position, thus it's offside. The only thing I'm confused about is why it took the linesman so long to reach that decision, I suppose to determine if the referee believed Mata interfered with play.

Lino probably wasn't able to tell how close Mata was to the ball from his side-on angle. The linesman could see Mata was offside from his angle and the ref could see that he was near the path of the ball from his angle, hence them talking to each other before the decision.

The ref pointed for a goal, the linesman doesn't flag. Dante tells the linesman what to do and the goal is wiped off.

Lino appears to be debating with the ref before Dante comes over, so, no.

Huge 45 minutes for Van Gaal. Fail to get out of the group and I don't think he will see out his contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

The ref pointed for a goal, the linesman doesn't flag. Dante tells the linesman what to do and the goal is wiped off.

Sucks balls tbh, right decision probably but no way Dante should be influencing it like that, particularly after the linesman never flagged and the ref awarded the goal.

From the replay the linesman seems to raise his hand in the direction of the other official behind the goal looking for conformation the player was inteferring with play, i think the linesman thought it was offside he just wanted conformation, either way right call in the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Brendan Rogers for United Manager :P

Lino appears to be debating with the ref before Dante comes over, so, no.

Yeah I edited my post

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭madcabbage

Carrick on for the second half to compliment Mata.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

adox wrote: »
    Huge 45 minutes for Van Gaal. Fail to get out of the group and I don't think he will see out his contract.

Be interesting. A loss and I may just not come on boards for a few days. :P

gandalf wrote: »
    Deluded Brendan for United Manager :P

Fyp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Huge call. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

The official on the end line pointing to the ref when the Wolfsburg keeper came over to him like to say

"noting to do with me mate I didn't see it"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,850 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Replay there suggested the ref had awarded the goal. The Lino should have flagged immediately and then they could have had the conversation. Not after the goal was awarded as the replay clearly showed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

I see a lot of Liverpool fans in here hoping for the ultimate embarassment to United of having to play in the same European competition as their own team!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Strumms wrote: »
    Replay there suggested the ref had awarded the goal. The Lino should have flagged immediately and then they could have had the conversation. Not after the goal was awarded as the replay clearly showed.

The assistant referee's job is to flag when he sees an offside, not when he wants to have a discussion. If he flagged straight away then the ref gives offside.

I see no problem with how they did it - they got it right.

Strumms wrote: »

Perfectly ok to award a goal (If that indeed did happen) and then change your mind.

I was at a Bundesliga match where the referee awarded a penalty and then changed his mind moments later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Fellaini, barring his chance has been anonymous.

zarquon wrote: »
    I see a lot of Liverpool fans in here hoping for the ultimate embarassment to United of having to play in the same European competition as their own team!!

I'd say there are a few United fans who would feel that if this gets rid of LvG at the end of the season then it might be a bullet worth taking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Fellaini, barring his chance has been anonymous.

Being anonymous would be an improvement for him. Being there he's just in the way. Sure he blocked a chance mata had on goal in first half.

He's such an awkward ****e. No wonder Van Gaal sticks with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

This ref is rubbish, what's with this letting Depay play on then calling back for a free?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Permutation table for anyone struggling

075a6d0f-2b22-4ac7-95d3-9c8355a7b6fb.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

See Memphis you can use your left so stop being so predictable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Alex Meier wrote: »
    I'd say there are a few United fans who would feel that if this gets rid of LvG at the end of the season then it might be a bullet worth taking.

You seem to be pretty much the only one thats been banging that drum tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭irishchris

What a rubbish set of officials. Ref send to have whistle such in his throat as he is blowing whistle so often

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

Why is Martial coming do deep? Only striker, stay up there. Maybe someone on the bench could give him some direction....yeah right.

TheTownie wrote: »
    Permutation table for anyone struggling

i.e. . . . PSV just have to better United's result to knock them out.

I love how we are under the impression there is no hurry to get a goal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Take off Lingard please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Why delay the cross lingard??!! Get the ball in the box

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Lingard is a championship level player at most.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement