Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overgrown garden clean up?

Options
  • 08-12-2015 1:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭

I am looking for idea's, potentially buying a house which has been left vacant for a long time. The garden is massively overgrown. I have attached a picture to show what some of it is like. There is about 0.5 acre so quite a big area to cover.

I am wondering what is the best way to tackle? a tractor lawn mower would be no good as grass too long. I know a petrol strimmer would do the job but it would take ages, is there any other option?

I just want to get it down to level that I can then manage with tractor lawnmover and look about weeds etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

If its in a country area (and it looks to be) you could ask a local farmer to put some livestock on it to graze it. Sheep will skim it to the ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Redgirl82

jm08 wrote: »
    If its in a country area (and it looks to be) you could ask a local farmer to put some livestock on it to graze it. Sheep will skim it to the ground.

It is in country but heavy livestock(cows/cattle) would make a mess of garden unless there is some sunny weather coming anytime soon

Sheep might be an option but I wouldn't think they would eat the grass when it goes that long?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

A local farmer/contractor would cut that with a rotary or flail mower assuming you could get a tractor in there. Cattle or sheep wouldn't really eat grass that long. Most of it would be trampled into the ground and it would be even harder to clear then.

veetwin wrote: »
    A local farmer/contractor would cut that with a rotary or flail mower assuming you could get a tractor in there. Cattle or sheep wouldn't really eat grass that long. Most of it would be trampled into the ground and it would be even harder to clear then.

That is what I was thinking, I think livestock could make a complete mess of it

The issue is a standard tractor would not fit into the garden front or back

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

buy a scythe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Redgirl82 wrote: »
    That is what I was thinking, I think livestock could make a complete mess of it

The issue is a standard tractor would not fit into the garden front or back

A tractor & forage harvester would do as much damage to the ground as cattle will this time of the year.

How manicured do you want it? Its going to be some job mowing half an acre every week! You should probably also wait until the spring to do anything.

buy a scythe?

That was my first thought but it would take too long.....

Picture if only of part of garden, there is another section which is bigger.....

Im probably looking for the easy way out, was wondering is there any sort of vehicle similar in size to tractor lawnmower which could cut grass that is gone that long?

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

Im probably looking for the easy way out, was wondering is there any sort of vehicle similar in size to tractor lawnmower which could cut grass that is gone that long?

I'm not so sure a ride on mower won't do the job for you.

It did for me in a very similar site and situation. Bought a house that had been vacant and site was neglected.

Waited for some dry, windy weather. Set the mower to the highest setting. Box off. Worked for me anyway.

After a lot of looking around google I might have found the answer

http://www.hirehere.ie/gardening-landscaping/Garden-Clearance/power-scythe-petrol

Looks like it would do the job, never seen one of these before

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭cambasque

i know the scythe is more physical but you would be surprised how quickly you can cut long grass with it, as long as it is kept sharp. An hour a day would get it done within a week without knackering you out and it's cheap !

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭TAZ32

I am looking for idea's, potentially buying a house which has been left vacant for a long time. The garden is massively overgrown. I have attached a picture to show what some of it is like. There is about 0.5 acre so quite a big area to cover.

I am wondering what is the best way to tackle? a tractor lawn mower would be no good as grass too long. I know a petrol strimmer would do the job but it would take ages, is there any other option?

I just want to get it down to level that I can then manage with tractor lawnmover and look about weeds etc

Use on these if you can rent one out fot a few days. Will tackle long wet grass,even down low.

Google search. two wheel tractor flail mower

Apology as cant post images.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

cambasque wrote: »
    i know the scythe is more physical but you would be surprised how quickly you can cut long grass with it, as long as it is kept sharp. An hour a day would get it done within a week without knackering you out and it's cheap !
    agreed. i tried one once, and it's a satisfying tool to use, even allowing for my cack handed amateurish attempt.

cambasque wrote: »

My husband has used them before, says they are great

Plan is "if" we get the house then we want to get the grass cut ASAP to make the outside look somewhat reasonable

There is tree/bushes all around it which are all overgrown. The driveway is all weeds etc etc etc

So if we get the grass cut quickly then the hour per evening would be to try and make the trees look decent, it's not a small job

Plus if I get the garden cut quickly it means I can let the kids out of the house, with the grass long I would be afraid there would be god knows what hidden that could hurt them. House is vacant a while and already found some bottles thrown in on sections

TAZ32 wrote: »
    Use on these if you can rent one out fot a few days. Will tackle long wet grass,even down low.

Google search. two wheel tractor flail mower

Apology as cant post images.

Thanks TAZ32

Is this what you are refering to?

http://www.tracmaster.co.uk/bcs/flail-mowers/740f-professional-flail-mower.html

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭lostboy75

Plan is "if" we get the house then we want to get the grass cut ASAP to make the outside look somewhat reasonable

Realistically though if you do buy, your unlikely to move in that evening. All these things take time. Am sure the house will have to be cleaned top to bottom, any mould dealt with etc. You would not find a few weeks passing before your moving in.

lostboy75 wrote: »
    Realistically though if you do buy, your unlikely to move in that evening. All these things take time. Am sure the house will have to be cleaned top to bottom, any mould dealt with etc. You would not find a few weeks passing before your moving in.

:confused::confused:

Not sure what the above has to do with question about cutting the garden?

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭lostboy75

:confused::confused:
    Not sure what the above has to do with question about cutting the garden?

I mean you would have plenty of time to use a strimmer or a scythe. You sort of implied it needed to be completed in one evening.

I agree with hiring the two wheel mower, but great satisfaction in the scythe

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭TAZ32

hi redgirl

yes thats what i was referring to. there is similar ones that hire shops rent out. two wheeled tractor they are called . other implements can be attached for other tasks also

Advertisement