Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weight gain since giving up the fags...

Options
  • 08-12-2015 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi all,

Im new to this, so forgive me if i am going about this all wrong. I am nearly 3 months off the fags now, which i am delighted about :) but ive put on nearly a stone :(, but some of this is due to the fact that i was substituting sucky sweets for fags as i am doing it cold turkey. I joined the gym when i quit the fags but unfortunitly there has been no real benefits yet only that my chest is alot better for it. I no portion control is a big issue that i need to get on top of now before i will see any benefits at the gym.

My weight gain issue is having an effect on my mood, which i am taking it out on those close to me. The weigh gain is a problem and i am looking for some advice or tips to stay smoke free!! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Graceless

First of all, huge congrats on staying smoke free for 3 months!

It's easy to gain weight when you quit smoking as smoking suppresses appetite and there's also the boredom factor when not smoking. I'd suggest going to the diet and nutrition & health and fitness forums for advice on healthy eating but here's my 2 cent:

Download MyFitnessPal to record what you're eating. Added bonus is it will give you something to focus on other than smoking

Drink loads and loads of water! Sometimes you can feel still hungry even when you're eating regularly, this can often be down to dehydration

Buy nuts and apples to snack on instead of sweets

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭outland1985

Graceless wrote: »
    First of all, huge congrats on staying smoke free for 3 months!

It's easy to gain weight when you quit smoking as smoking suppresses appetite and there's also the boredom factor when not smoking. I'd suggest going to the diet and nutrition & health and fitness forums for advice on healthy eating but here's my 2 cent:

Download MyFitnessPal to record what you're eating. Added bonus is it will give you something to focus on other than smoking

Drink loads and loads of water! Sometimes you can feel still hungry even when you're eating regularly, this can often be down to dehydration

Buy nuts and apples to snack on instead of sweets

Best of luck!

Cant agree more , my fitness pal is brilliant great advice here

• Registered Users Posts: 38 greenwicklow

nelliestar wrote: »
    Hi all,

Im new to this, so forgive me if i am going about this all wrong. I am nearly 3 months off the fags now, which i am delighted about :) but ive put on nearly a stone :(, but some of this is due to the fact that i was substituting sucky sweets for fags as i am doing it cold turkey. I joined the gym when i quit the fags but unfortunitly there has been no real benefits yet only that my chest is alot better for it. I no portion control is a big issue that i need to get on top of now before i will see any benefits at the gym.

My weight gain issue is having an effect on my mood, which i am taking it out on those close to me. The weigh gain is a problem and i am looking for some advice or tips to stay smoke free!! :)

nelliestar well done!!
    If you can try and give up on all and any forms of sugars, low-cal, processed sugars, and it will serve you well. I tried that for 8 weeks both prior to Christmas and ongoing and haven't had lots of migraines. Plus I had lots of raw juices and blended fruit smoothies. Fruit have lots of natural sugars, esp carrots. It will detox your body without having to lash out on expensive spas or anything.

I've lost 5kgs from 69 to 62. It was not my intention to lose weight. I wanted to get rid of sugars from lots of research into migraines. Found out that sugar is the root cause of all evil and every single thing that happens to anyone is sugar - related.

It just happened from stopping sugar and carbs.

Everyone is shocked including me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭alex.middleton

well you have already shown you have the discipline to give up smoking so time to add another healthy habit as well now.

Find a steep hill and sprint up it 3 times a week and watch yourself lean out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭PaddyWilliams

Top tip would be to eat more protein in your meals as this leads to greater satiety and as Graceless said above, loads of water. Get yourself sugar free gum too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement