Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

virtual box configuration

Options
  • 08-12-2015 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi,

I want to configure two vms in virtual box, a desktop and a client and get them to talk to eachother. Has anyone done this, is it straighforward? I'm using CentOS OS version 6.4 and version 5.0.8 of Virtual box.

Many thanks in advance

J

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

Hi,

I want to configure two vms in virtual box, a desktop and a client and get them to talk to eachother. Has anyone done this, is it straighforward? I'm using CentOS OS version 6.4 and version 5.0.8 of Virtual box.

Many thanks in advance

J

Yep, very straight forward. In the network section of each one you can either use bridged network, in which case they just show up as machines on your local lan. Or you can use internal network, in which case you need to use either static addresses on each machine, or create a DHCP server on one of them.

I'd go with static leases personally, don't set a gateway, and give each machine a second network connection with NAT access if they need internet access. That or bridged if you are happy to have them accessible on your lan.

You may also need to insert another two modules into the host kernel if you haven't already. vboxnetadp vboxnetflt

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

^^ Sounds like overcomplicating for OP imo :)

OP once the the 2 vms are on the same vm network subnet (which they would be by default unless you change) they should see each other. Select NAT network for least hassle (or bridge if you want your home router to assign ip). Iirc in centos 6, server at least, you'll need to edit, /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth... ONBOOT=yes, and reboot or "/etc/init.d/network restart"

Advertisement