Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Postgraduate conversion course from Engineering to Computing

Options
  • 08-12-2015 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭

Hello Boardsies,

I have a BEng Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering degree but want to steer my career towards computer applications as I see better career prospects in this area. Currently working as an Engineer in the UK but want to move back to Ireland.

Ideally I'd want a computer applications degree but I think that's too much as I already have the basics from my Engineering degree. Are any of you aware of a postgraduate masters or similar that would follow on from Engineering?

Any pointers would be great. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Most post-grad conversion type courses have a BSc as a pre-requisite, irrespective of the field. I am not aware of any specifically for Engineering (that's not to say they don't exists), but have a look at the various third-level institution websites - pretty much everywhere does them now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

There are courses like this, would tend to be aimed at those with a degree in the area or those who have a degree in anything else. With an engineering background you may be a bit higher than the average person but still lower than someone who did a full degree in the area, might find some of them a bit easy at the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Nichard Dixon

Why not aim beyond basic software and head for Business Analytics, Business Intelligence, Data Analytics or the like? Engineering is quant and there is huge demand for people combining quant and IT in these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭choons

Thanks for the responses all. Aiming to start something in September so you've given me a starting point in my search.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭experiMental

If you are good at problem solving, and really like doing that in your spare time, consider doing software development. Even though it may not be as financially rewarding as quant and data analytics, there will always be a demand for software.

Quant and data analytics will get simpler over time, so the cost of doing it and the potential salary for those jobs will eventually decrease .... especially when artificial intelligence and automation comes into play. I would say that it's a fantastic career investment for the next 10 years, but I would always be on guard for latest developments.

If you take an example from engineering, computing power, advanced CAD and Finite Element Analysis software made relatively advanced work possible on a conventional laptop in very recent times.

So if you want a get rich quick option, and you are wiling to change your field of work if things go bad, go for quant and data analytics. If you want a stable career for your lifetime, consider software development.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Following as I'm thinking of adding software development masters to my applied chemistry MSc. Have worked for 20 years in my chosen field and want to stretch myself a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

There are courses like this, would tend to be aimed at those with a degree in the area or those who have a degree in anything else. With an engineering background you may be a bit higher than the average person but still lower than someone who did a full degree in the area, might find some of them a bit easy at the start.
    NUIG also offer a similar HDip/MSc as a distance learning programme.

Thanks all. Updates:

Plan is to complete this free online course within 6 months: Introduction to Computer Science by Harvard

I can then start a masters in September in either Data Analytics or Computer Science. Exact discipline TBC when I have a bit more perspective on the industries.

Currently working in the UK but I'll be back in Ireland to do the masters. I was spending 10 hours a week looking for Engineering jobs at home so it's a relief putting that on hold to start something new! I'll update as I go and please comment if you have more advice.

choons wrote: »
    Thanks all. Updates:

Plan is to complete this free online course within 6 months: Introduction to Computer Science by Harvard

Online course complete :cool: Highly recommended, very good lectures and assignments.

Deciding on the exact masters, in no particular order:
    Trinity - Computer Science (Various Specialties)
    UCD - MEngSc Electronic & Computer Engineering
    UCD - MSc in Business Analytics

I'll update again for anyone who may be interested in doing something similar. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭ucdperson

choons wrote: »
    UCD - MSc in Business Analytics

Engineering graduates wishing to change direction make the biggest chunk of the UCD MSC Business Analytics intake.

Analytics is widely used in different areas, so this would offer a wider set of possible directions than MEngSc Electronic & Computer Engineering (say). While everyone thinks of Finance or perhaps the multinationals like Google or Facebook, but people often overlook the range of analytics in agribusiness (e.g. Glanbia, Kerry etc), Coillte, manufacturing, public service (Revenue), pharmaceuticals etc. Many businesses have data and want to exploit it in their businesses.

You can see some the graduates on Linkedin here

• Advertisement

Very useful link, thank you!

Few more updates.

I applied for and was offered a place on a funded software engineering masters by Ericsson. Unfortunately this will be run in Athlone plus a 2 year contract also in Athlone. Have to decline as I am constrained to Dublin. Worth a look for anyone else with a degree wanting to convert to software engineering. Thread here with discussion.

Going ahead with an application for UCD - MSc in Business Analytics. This will set me up for a decent job for the next few years and I can convert to software engineering if needed as there is a lot of crossover.

ucdperson - I get the impression there was significant interest in this course about 5 years ago but seems to have smaller class sizes now. Do you think this was due to hype in "big data"? Any other thoughts? Thanks

I have partly answered the question - the course was part funded originally. From what I can make out it started in about 2009 and fee was roughly 3000. It is now close to 13000 which corresponds to the smaller class size over time.

Appears to still be a high demand for the skills. Interested in any other opinions?

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭David6330

How's it going Choons.

In the very same boat as you. Studied Mechanical Engineering, working in the UK for the last few years and now looking to move home.

I have applied to do a masters in mechatronics. Should hear back on whether I got accepted any day now.
    The whole area of automation is getting bigger and there's plenty demand in Ireland for automation engineers, process engineers, manufacturing etc. to design and maintain these factories.

Hi David, definitely looks like Automation is a good route especially with the likes of Pharma companies opening up.

I have gone ahead and accepted UCD - MSc in Business Analytics.

Advertisement