Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ps4 hard drive upgrade.

Options
  • 08-12-2015 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭

Hi.

I'm lousy at hardware work and looking to upgrade my hd in my PS4. Anyone know of a service where I can drop it in or someone do not for me? I'm happy to pay for their time to get it done right. I'm in Clonee.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,298 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

sticker wrote: »
    Hi.

I'm lousy at hardware work and looking to upgrade my hd in my PS4. Anyone know of a service where I can drop it in or someone do not for me? I'm happy to pay for their time to get it done right. I'm in Clonee.

It's five screws.
    Plenty of videos online on what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭rejkin

If you are willing to pay for it there can be people on adverts who will do it for you,just look up PS4 repair or try donedeal and set to an area closest to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

rejkin wrote: »
    If you are willing to pay for it there can be people on adverts who will do it for you,just look up PS4 repair or try donedeal and set to an area closest to you.

Thanks...

rejkin wrote: »

Dont see any PS4 repair on adverts and only one guy on Done Deal in Newcastle. anyone recommend someone in Dublin 15 or surrounding area?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

sticker wrote: »
    Dont see any PS4 repair on adverts and only one guy on Done Deal in Newcastle. anyone recommend someone in Dublin 15 or surrounding area?

Look at some YouTube videos before giving someone your money, it couldn't be simpler to do yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

Varik wrote: »
    Look at soon YouTube videos before giving someone your money, it couldn't be simpler to do yourself.

^^^^^ this, do it yourself you really can't possibly go wrong :)

Look at soon YouTube videos before giving someone your money, it couldn't be simpler to do yourself.

Ok. Any drives preferred? Not afraid to spend a few bob...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

tjis one is the one alot of people opt for
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/2489935.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭ffocused

+1 for above hard drive, I put the 1tb version into mine.
    The hardest part of the drive swap is actually getting the new drive out of the usb enclosure. It then simply slots in to the ps4 like an old game cartridge if you are old enough to remember them!

ffocused wrote: »
    +1 for above hard drive, I put the 1tb version into mine.
    The hardest part of the drive swap is actually getting the new drive out of the usb enclosure. It then simply slots in to the ps4 like an old game cartridge if you are old enough to remember them!

So I download the install os... swap out drives and boot from usb?

Then log in... and download games again.

Are saves automatically backed to cloud? This is my worry - losing saves

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭DanC90

https://youtu.be/vbk2w1dcvNU

Here's a guide to updating it, i would recommend getting an SSD for it if you have the money to get a high capacity drive (1TB or more) as it's suppose to help with game loading times and moving around the menu too.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/search/ref=sr_nr_p_n_feature_keywords_1?fst=as%3Aoff&rh=n%3A340831031%2Cn%3A428655031%2Cn%3A430505031%2Ck%3Assd+1tb%2Cp_n_feature_keywords_two_browse-bin%3A3047287031%2Cp_n_feature_keywords_three_browse-bin%3A2718924031&keywords=ssd+1tb&ie=UTF8&qid=1449604281&rnid=2718916031

The 1st or 3rd SSD in this page are two very good options.

If you have ps+ all your game saves are backed up online if you have it enabled, if not you can copy them onto a USB key or hard drive.
    Other then that pretty much as you said above except you need to de activate your system as your primary ps4 before swapping out drives.

Thanks all. Really appreciate the advice.

As a matter of interest would PT be gone forever in a swap seeing as it's unavailable now?!

You could backup your entire ps4 hard drive to an external usb drive & then restore it again after swapping out & installing os on the new drive. Then you will still have PT.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Im in tyrrelstown,if your really not confident about changing it id do it for you but honestly its designed in a way to make it handy to change. You dont have to remove loads of bits or anything. Just a cover and a few screws then reverse the process. As someone said the most awkward bit is removing the new drive from its caddy without marking/breaking the caddy. I didnt do a great job on that bit,marked mine a bit so couldnt guarntee that wouldnt happen again.

I wouldnt want money either,so PM me if your stuck.

EoinHef wrote: »
    Im in tyrrelstown,if your really not confident about changing it id do it for you but honestly its designed in a way to make it handy to change. You dont have to remove loads of bits or anything. Just a cover and a few screws then reverse the process. As someone said the most awkward bit is removing the new drive from its caddy without marking/breaking the caddy. I didnt do a great job on that bit,marked mine a bit so couldnt guarntee that wouldnt happen again.

I wouldnt want money either,so PM me if your stuck.

Many thanks for the offer - PM sent.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Late the screws as finniky/soft as on the PS3? I upgraded HDD on that years ago, just about got it back in!!! Have a PS4 now but don't really see the need for upgrading. Are people upgrading for storage space for games?

ffocused wrote: »
    You could backup your entire ps4 hard drive to an external usb drive & then restore it again after swapping out & installing os on the new drive. Then you will still have PT.

Good idea - cheers!

L'prof wrote: »
    Late the screws as finniky/soft as on the PS3? I upgraded HDD on that years ago, just about got it back in!!! Have a PS4 now but don't really see the need for upgrading. Are people upgrading for storage space for games?

Thats my excuse! 500 gig is not a lot when games can come in 60gig bundles

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭brijay

Is the 500gb harddrive already in the ps4 a ssd? Would it be make the ps4 slower if I got the harddrive in Argos?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,298 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

brijay wrote: »
    Is the 500gb harddrive already in the ps4 a ssd? Would it be make the ps4 slower if I got the harddrive in Argos?

It's not an SSD.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

brijay wrote: »

It's a bog standard 5400rpm drive, don't worry you can't get slower than what's in it.

The PS4 won't take full advantage of an SSD. A Hybrid drive is probably the best bang for buck performance to storage capacity price wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

What's PT ?

and I have plus do are my games defo all back up online going doing mine tonight ?

What's PT ?

PT is the demo of the cancelled Silent Hill game. It can't be downloaded anymore as it was taken down form PSN, so if you have on your hard drive back it up or you will never get to play it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Remember when you're installing a new drive you need to have the firmware on a USB stick/drive connected to the PS4, and it's not the normal firmware update (~250MB) it's a full install (~800MB) which is up on the PlayStation site hidden a bit the firmware also has to be a higher version or the same as what was on it previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭uprooted tradition

Remember when you're installing a new drive you need to have the firmware on a USB stick/drive connected to the PS4, and it's not the normal firmware update (~250MB) it's a full install (~800MB) which is up on the PlayStation site hidden a bit the firmware also has to be a higher version or the same as what was on it previously.

Absolutely, and, just because I was stuck on this for ages when i did it, be absolutely sure the USB drive is formatted to FAT32 not NTFS.

I spent ages downloading the firmware over and over thinking I had messed things up big time before I realised the disk I was trying to install the firmware from wasn't the correct format.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Biggest problem I had doing this was trying to backup to a large enough external HDD, kept trying to force it to FAT32, ended up failing miserably.
    Luckily the install of the firmware was straightforward, key thing was Fat32, folder structure and naming along with the right firmware...

Thanks again all for the advice. The Boards is a great resource and one I am very appreciative of!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Yeah did mine saturday just followed a tutorial on youtube and breezed through it :)

• Advertisement

The hardest part of the process is finding the correct firmware file on the Sony site. They really should have a direct link to it in their FAQ section. After that it's just a matter of finding a philips head driver small enough to fit the screws. An electronic driver set is ideal to have around for it.

Advertisement