Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ps4 hard drive upgrade.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

The hardest part of the process is finding the correct firmware file on the Sony site. They really should have a direct link to it in their FAQ section. After that it's just a matter of finding a philips head driver small enough to fit the screws. An electronic driver set is ideal to have around for it.

There's a direct link on the US site right under the update version but on the EU site it's hidden in an obscure corner of the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,137 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I know I did the PS3 drive already but can't remember about backing up. So I'm swapping my PS3 and PS4 drives and was just wondering, are the saves that are stored on PS+ the only items that need to be backed up on the PS3? I can just download everything else again. If so that'll cut down the amount of time I need to do the swap

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I know I did the PS3 drive already but can't remember about backing up. So I'm swapping my PS3 and PS4 drives and was just wondering, are the saves that are stored on PS+ the only items that need to be backed up on the PS3? I can just download everything else again. If so that'll cut down the amount of time I need to do the swap

Anything off PSN can be downloaded again and with download speed ever increasing I wouldn't bother with a back up. it's incredibly slow backing up and restoring.

Only issue is games that were on disc, you'll need to install those 1 by 1 as they'll only be able to download patches and DLC after they've installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭psnKOB79LFC

I know feck all about technology but I need to expand as I am running low on memory.

I have seen the link on the site re the Argos 2t harddrive so I know what needs to be purchased but is it possible for a non tech head?

Most games I have are multilayer only but there are probably some save games that my kids play. How can u save that to a USB when the largest one I have is only 8 gig?

Is the process the same if there are three users on the ps4?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭psnKOB79LFC

....Help? ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

....Help? ...

You should be able to do it no problem if you take your time and follow the instructions carefully. This link is quiet well explained. http://www.techradar.com/how-to/gaming/how-to-upgrade-your-ps4-hard-drive-1285428

You might be ok with your 8gb USB drive too. Hard to advise there as you will only see how big the files are when you start to copy them over.

Do you have a PS plus account? Your game saves can be saved to the cloud there.

Your accounts will be fine as you will be logging into them online when you are back up and running with your new drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭jamescd

Did this recently on mine and it was very easy as others have pointed out. I wanted to upgrade the laptop to an SSD so I bought a cheap external caddy with it. Now I have the SSD on the laptop, the original 1TB drive from the laptop on the PS4, and the 500GB hard drive from the PS4 on the external caddy.

So I've upgraded the laptop to an SSD, the PS4 to a 1TB hard drive and I also now have a 500GB external hard drive, all for like £40. The SSD was about £30 and the external caddy was about £10 from Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Drum.lad

Can i place the update and my save files on the same usb?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Drum.lad wrote: »
    Can i place the update and my save files on the same usb?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

Sorry to resurface this thread I started, but only yesterday I was able to set my accocunt as primary so I can go ahead with this.

I am cool with spending a few bob on the new HD - would prefer a 2tb with fast speeds, but unsure what to go for.

Any recommendations?

Anyone got a recent link to the PS firmware?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

sticker wrote: »
    Sorry to resurface this thread I started, but only yesterday I was able to set my accocunt as primary so I can go ahead with this.

I am cool with spending a few bob on the new HD - would prefer a 2tb with fast speeds, but unsure what to go for.

Any recommendations?

I'm thinking of doing this too. What hdd would you guys recommend that I can pick up in a shop?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Any recommendations?

https://www.playstation.com/en-ie/get-help/ps4-system-software/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I'm thinking of doing this too. What hdd would you guys recommend that I can pick up in a shop?

You will get ripped of buying any PC parts in shops in this country.

Amazon and the likes are you best bet for HDDs. Just search PS4 hard drives and look for the best seller, the prices are dropping all the time.

You will get ripped of buying any PC parts in shops in this country.

Amazon and the likes are you best bet for HDDs. Just search PS4 hard drives and look for the best seller, the prices are dropping all the time.

I was thinking of this one - what do you think? I've heard some have speeds a little faster than the default drive..?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-SATA-Compatible-Internal-Drive/dp/B00I8O6OQ4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1457688979&sr=8-1&keywords=internal+hard+drive+for+ps4

I was thinking of this one - what do you think? I've heard some have speeds a little faster than the default drive..?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-SATA-Compatible-Internal-Drive/dp/B00I8O6OQ4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1457688979&sr=8-1&keywords=internal+hard+drive+for+ps4

That's as good as you'll get and a good price.

There is little to no point in putting a SSD in the PS4. I put a hybrid drive in mine and its not worth the extra I paid for it.

A 7200rpm 2Tb drive is the way to go. Its faster the the 5400rpm drive that's fitted to all PS4s as standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

I bought this OCZ 480GB SSD this week.
    From looking at the benchmarks for Bloodborne it offers significant increases in the speed of loading the game and levels from the Hunters Dream.
    I'm expecting similar speed for Dark Souls 3 in a few weeks.

I didnt bother with the SSHD as I've had the PS4 since launch and still have over 200GB free in my hard drive. I tend to only keep games I'm actively playing on the HDD so dont need a size increase.

That's as good as you'll get and a good price.

There is little to no point in putting a SSD in the PS4. I put a hybrid drive in mine and its not worth the extra I paid for it.

A 7200rpm 2Tb drive is the way to go. Its faster the the 5400rpm drive that's fitted to all PS4s as standard.

Cheers - ordered that one then! Be with me Tuesday!

• Registered Users Posts: 46,127 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Guys, my young lads have a PS4 and apparently need more disk space and they were talking about a portable hard drive. Is it better to replace/upgrade the internal drive or just add an additional portable drive?

Adding a portable drive would be handiest as none of us here would have a clue as to how a hard drive can be replaced.

Any recommendations as to what type and size?

You can't use portable HDD to install PS4 games. You have to install a larger internal one.
    Have read though this thread, it's only 4 pages.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Have read though this thread, it's only 4 pages.

Only two pages for me.

Your profile>Settings and options>Edit options>Thread Display Options>Number of Posts to Show Per Page(set to 40).

• Advertisement

Just wanted to post back as OP that I got my Amazon 2tb drive in with the help of a local boards member - thanks Eoin!

Great to have the added space now!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Me too! Upgraded to 2tb drive over the weekend also. Was pretty easy, even updating the OS was simple. Took forever to download ad everything again but it's all done and have loads of space now. Thanks lads!

Me too! Upgraded to 2tb drive over the weekend also. Was pretty easy, even updating the OS was simple. Took forever to download ad everything again but it's all done and have loads of space now. Thanks lads!

The backup feature is extremely slow, most people would be better off re-downloading everything.

Advertisement