Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now Ye're Talking - to a Firefighter/Paramedic

Options
  • 08-12-2015 6:05pm
    Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Our next volunteer is in another emergency-related role. The last one and this one are the kind of people you hope you'll never have to encounter while they are working but you are glad they'll turn up when you need them. By his own admission, this is a job that little kids dream about doing :)

This week our AMA is with a firefighter and paramedic with many years experience in the field.

Ask away!
    ~
    My own question is this - is being in the fire service something that you had dreamed of doing yourself when you were a child or did you come across it as a career for you in some other way?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,311 ✭✭✭✭endacl

How do you and your colleagues take care of yourselves and each other. The experiences you have can't be un-experienced, and the things you see can't be unseen.

I couldn't do your job, but I'm glad you do, and thanks for doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

What's a firefighter/paramedic? Are you a firefighter some days and a paramedic some others, or are you a paramedic that is a member of the fire services?

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭kavanada

I don't have a question. Just wanted to say hats off to you and your colleagues for doing what you do.

Irregular shifts, missed birthdays, the dreaded Halloween night, not knowing is the roof going to collapse, not many of us could do it.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭allandanyways

I love these kinds of AMAs!

My question is - what is the biggest challenge to you in terms of people when attending to a domestic house fire (i.e. House is totally ablaze)? Do you get people risking their safety to save their "stuff"? Do people generally follow your advice for evacuation? I'm just trying to imagine what it must be like to have to do your job with people panicking?

I've heard stories of people running back into burning buildings to save pets, sentimental items etc (understandable, esp the pets) but also worse ones of people risking their and your safety to rescue material belongings (specifically recalling a story from home where a (bimbo, muppet of a) girl tried to run back into her burning house to get her Michael Kors watch :rolleyes:)

Well done on all that you do - my best friend wouldn't be alive today if it wasn't for the work of Dublin Fire Brigade who managed to cut him out of his car and get him to a hospital within 40 mins of the crash happening. Wishing you and your colleagues a safe and happy Christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,311 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Michael Kors?!? Not even a good watch...

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

If you could put three pieces of information into everyones head about fires/emergencies/prevention/etc what would they be?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Do all ambulances have a defibrillator? Also does the service have medical limitations that frustrate you? i.e. are there medical interventions you feel paramedics could do at the site of an accident but are only allowed to be done at the hospital by doctors and nurses?

• Company Representative Posts: 79 Verified rep I'm a Firefighter/Paramedic, AMA

My own question is this - is being in the fire service something that you had dreamed of doing yourself when you were a child or did you come across it as a career for you in some other way?

Always thought about it, I really think every boy does at some stage, but it only dawned on me at a career night I attended in my old secondary school in Dublin, when the Dublin Fire Brigade and I spoke to the chap, we spoke at length, and he advised me the best way to set myself up to make a good candidate for the job. So aged 17, I decided then, that's what I wanted to be. I have no regrets since!

• Company Representative Posts: 79 Verified rep I'm a Firefighter/Paramedic, AMA

endacl wrote: »
    How do you and your colleagues take care of yourselves and each other. The experiences you have can't be un-experienced, and the things you see can't be unseen.

I couldn't do your job, but I'm glad you do, and thanks for doing it.

We have each other first and foremost, and our brotherhood (and sisters!) having a chat, even over a pint helps, and we do have a recent addition of Critical Incident Stress Management. It's a fantastic service instigated by management in DFB.

Gordon wrote: »
    What's a firefighter/paramedic? Are you a firefighter some days and a paramedic some others, or are you a paramedic that is a member of the fire services?

All Dublin firefighters are Paramedics also. We rotate duties between the fire and rescue side and Ambulance duties. This has huge benefits to the citizens of Dublin.

• Advertisement

I love these kinds of AMAs!

1My question is - what is the biggest challenge to you in terms of people when attending to a domestic house fire (i.e. House is totally ablaze)? Do you get people risking their safety to save their "stuff"? Do people generally follow your advice for evacuation? I'm just trying to imagine what it must be like to have to do your job with people panicking?

2I've heard stories of people running back into burning buildings to save pets, sentimental items etc (understandable, esp the pets) but also worse ones of people risking their and your safety to rescue material belongings (specifically recalling a story from home where a (bimbo, muppet of a) girl tried to run back into her burning house to get her Michael Kors watch :rolleyes:)

3Well done on all that you do - my best friend wouldn't be alive today if it wasn't for the work of Dublin Fire Brigade who managed to cut him out of his car and get him to a hospital within 40 mins of the crash happening. Wishing you and your colleagues a safe and happy Christmas!

1 and 2) Always very difficult dealing with panicked masses, however at major or protracted incidents, the Gardai usually attend, and they assist and take over crowd control. We always advise the old adage. "Get out, stay out and get the fire brigade out". Forget belongings etc, that's what insurance is for, and God knows how many times I've seen people attempt re-entry for a cat or dog. Trust me, pets usually know when they're in danger, and are out before humans. Most folk follow our advice, some don't. That's why I'll always have a job!!!

3) Thank you, it's nice to be appreciated!

DeVore wrote: »
    If you could put three pieces of information into everyones head about fires/emergencies/prevention/etc what would they be?

THE MOST IMPORTANT OF ALL: Check your smoke alarms regularly, these truly are the life savers. If a fire gets to a stage that you cannot self rescue, you are already in serious trouble.

Follow simple fire safety advice (fire guards, unplug at night etc)

Create a plan. Just try blindfolding a member of your family and get them to slowly make their way out of the kitchen, through the hallway and out of your house. This will display how difficult walking through a smoke filled house is, you simply cannot see. Create a plan. Memorise steps on the stairs etc. The simple things can save lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭TG1

All Dublin firefighters are Paramedics also. We rotate duties between the fire and rescue side and Ambulance duties. This has huge benefits to the citizens of Dublin.

I recently had an accident in the middle of nowhere in kildare, and waited 45 mins for an ambulance. I was told by someone who was there that had we been in the Dublin catchment area this time would have been at least halved due to the combined fire/ambulance model there. Do you agree that the firefighter/paramedic model cuts response time and do you think it should be introduced in other areas?

Also, having used the emergency services recently, fair play to you all. You do amazing work, not only on the life saving side but also through the human aspect, reassuring people that their world isn't crashing down despite the fact that they are meeting people in the worst moments of their lives. You do an amazing job and really make a difference to people, so thank you!

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Do all ambulances have a defibrillator? Also does the service have medical limitations that frustrate you? i.e. are there medical interventions you feel paramedics could do at the site of an accident but are only allowed to be done at the hospital by doctors and nurses?

I can only answer for my service in DFB (Dublin Fire Brigade), but yes, all our Fire and rescue appliances carry defibs (defibrillators)and all our ambulances carry defibs. There is a lot that doctors and nurses can do at the scenes of accidents, however, our corp of Advanced Paramedics are scattered throughout the city, and the interventions these guys carry out, are as close as a doctors intervention as possible. One of my colleagues is quoted before ,and it's very true... "We bring the hospital to the patient"! Cliched of course... But yes, of course, a doc could always help!

TG1 wrote: »
    I recently had an accident in the middle of nowhere in kildare, and waited 45 mins for an ambulance. I was told by someone who was there that had we been in the Dublin catchment area this time would have been at least halved due to the combined fire/ambulance model there. Do you agree that the firefighter/paramedic model cuts response time and do you think it should be introduced in other areas?

Also, having used the emergency services recently, fair play to you all. You do amazing work, not only on the life saving side but also through the human aspect, reassuring people that their world isn't crashing down despite the fact that they are meeting people in the worst moments of their lives. You do an amazing job and really make a difference to people, so thank you!

Without stating the obvious, a city metropolis like Dublin, has concentrated population, so therefore a concentrated emergency service system. Not that you won't be left waiting some times in particularly busy times like Halloween night, floods, heavy snow, Paddys day, or even sometimes, quite oddly on a random Monday and Wednesday etc!

To answer your other question, the combined fire/EMS system is world renowned as the best system. The city in the world with the best "out of hospital, cardiac arrest" survival rate is Seattle. Second best is Dublin. This means if your heart was to stop beating for whatever reason, and you weren't in a hospital, the only city with a better survival rate than Dublin, is Seattle. This is a combination of reduced response times, and all the firefighters being paramedics. It's a huge influence on survival percentages!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Hi I love reading these types o AMA and thank you for everything you do for us.

I live out in the Oulou. Nearest town has retained firefighters and they are 17 miles away.

I've always thought that by the time we discover a fire and call the Brigade we're pretty much fcuked. Am I wrong?

Hi I love reading these types o AMA and thank you for everything you do for us.

I live out in the Oulou. Nearest town has retained firefighters and they are 17 miles away.

I've always thought that by the time we discover a fire and call the Brigade we're pretty much fcuked. Am I wrong?

Thank you!

Where is Oulou?? Forgive my ignorance. Well, 17 miles over a motorway is achievable and if you have all doors/windows closed and the crew get there unhindered (traffic etc) then your property has a great chance, IF the fire is discovered early. No property stands a chance if all the doors and windows are open, and the fire is fairly well developed before the Fire crews are alerted.

I guess you guys would be more advised to install fire retardant systems. I'm no expert in them, but Mr Google knows everything!!!

Oh, and by the way, the the term "fcuked" you used is something we try not to use in front of the general public!!! :-)

Thanks ;)

Sorry excuse my French. The Oulou is just back of beyond (probably only my word for it :o). It's 17 miles over not great roads - lots of bends, some of it single track , the short cut is up over a mountain.

Thanks ;)

Sorry excuse my French. The Oulou is just back of beyond (probably only my word for it :o). It's 17 miles over not great roads - lots of bends, some of it single track , the short cut is up over a mountain.

Please tell me you have your own water supply at least! You should get a local crew of volunteers. Training and supplies are expensive... There are a few great disadvantages to living outside a certain perimeter of a large town/city.

Please tell me you have your own water supply at least! You should get a local crew of volunteers. Training and supplies are expensive... There are a few great disadvantages to living outside a certain perimeter of a large town/city.

No :o

There was some work done on the water supply a couple of years back and every quarter mile or so they were sticking a blue marker post. I asked one of the local lads if they were putting in hydrants. He nearly fell off his tractor laughing.

• Advertisement

No :o

There was some work done on the water supply a couple of years back and every quarter mile or so they were sticking a blue marker post. I asked one of the local lads if they were putting in hydrants. He nearly fell off his tractor laughing.

Sounds to me that you are beyond help. If a fire starts. Get out and get your loved ones out. Its a fierce beast without water.

Sounds to me that you are beyond help. If a fire starts. Get out and get your loved ones out. Its a fierce beast without water.

Yep - dog first :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

Which do you prefer, firefighter or paramedic?

Which is more stressful, firefighter or paramedic?

Oh and are all paramedics firefighters?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭DubiousV

What do you do to de-stress after a bad call? Thanks so much for what ye do, and dealing so well with all that ye have to put up with and keep going.

sullivlo wrote: »
    Which do you prefer, firefighter or paramedic?

Which is more stressful, firefighter or paramedic?

Oh and are all paramedics firefighters?

Both carry the same amount of stresses I guess. I've never actually thought about it until now! Thanks for that :)

Both can be rewarding and sad at times... I guess one is neither less stressful than the other, but the ambulances are most certainly busier!

Finally, all firefighters in Dublin are paramedics. We also have advanced Paramedics, who are exceptionally more qualified than I am!!! Due to the nature of the training required for that, it's restricted to fewer personnel. As for the rest of the country, Firefighters are trained to EMT and first responder levels, with a scattering of paramedics also.

DubiousV wrote: »
    What do you do to de-stress after a bad call? Thanks so much for what ye do, and dealing so well with all that ye have to put up with and keep going.

The chat over tea in the station afterwards is crucial. For me personally, this often suffices. Sadly, there are incidents that require more.

There are de-briefs by the CISM team (Critical Incident Stress Management Team) and they will refer you onto counsellor etc. if needs be.

I won't lie, I've gone out for pints with the crew after work after a bad day. My wife may not like that being a permanent solution though!!! You do get certain incidents (especially ones involving children) that can be hard to remove from the forefront of your thoughts. These often need the CISM treatment, especially since I had kids all those years ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

Have you ever been called to an emergency and found you knew the person / people needing assistance?

Samsgirl wrote: »
    Have you ever been called to an emergency and found you knew the person / people needing assistance?

Several times. I used to be stationed in the same area I lived. That did not help! I never spoke about it after though, these things are people's own business, and not the communities business!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

Are hoax calls prevalent? Would there be any serial offenders that you know it is a likely hoax before heading out? I remember seeing something like that on on of those UK emergency services shows.

Any examples of this negatively impacting a real emergency?

Thank you for your public service.

• Advertisement

moleyv wrote: »
    Are hoax calls prevalent? Would there be any serial offenders that you know it is a likely hoax before heading out? I remember seeing something like that on on of those UK emergency services shows.

Any examples of this negatively impacting a real emergency?

Thank you for your public service.

Oh yes. The bane of our job. There are, as we termed "frequent flyers" which were/are responsible for numerous call outs, both fire and ambulance from anything like a 'sore brain' to 'my kitchen is on fire'... And when you arrive there is absolutely nothing going on at all.

A lot of these are people with psychiatric illness, and even down to loneliness. We tend to treat these people with kids gloves, and encourage social/psych services to engage with these people through the Gardai.

There's also the children with mobiles and nothing else to do... Always more prevalent when there's mid term breaks!!!

Sadly, we lost a firefighter back in the 90's in a Road Traffic crash, he was responding to a Malicious false alarm when his ambulance crashed and he was killed and his colleague seriously injured. I always ask parents to remind children of the dangers of bogus calls.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement