Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now Ye're Talking - to a Firefighter/Paramedic

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 79 Verified rep I'm a Firefighter/Paramedic, AMA

^^ What he said ^^
    Thanks, I was in the process of typing that sort of advice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

What happens when there is a wheelchair user stuck on the 2nd or 3rd floor of an office because the lifts have gone automatically to the ground floor?

Is it your job to rescue them, or the building owners job to get them out?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Notavirus.exe

Have you ever heroically entered a building while the fire was still raging to save a baby?

You know, like in those cheesy movies where there's always a woman screaming for her baby that she, for some reason, didn't bring with her?

• Company Representative Posts: 79 Verified rep I'm a Firefighter/Paramedic, AMA

RainyDay wrote: »
    What happens when there is a wheelchair user stuck on the 2nd or 3rd floor of an office because the lifts have gone automatically to the ground floor?

Is it your job to rescue them, or the building owners job to get them out?

It's everybody's job to get themselves out safely, however in this case, you'd hope the occupants would assist the person out. If they're still there when we arrive, we rescue.

Have you ever heroically entered a building while the fire was still raging to save a baby?

You know, like in those cheesy movies where there's always a woman screaming for her baby that she, for some reason, didn't bring with her?

Yes, and it's not cheesy when you hear the primal scream of a mother, let me tell you!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

I hate to be that poster but you seemed to have missed some Qs. Hope that you can answer them!
    Think this is a superb profession, a relative enjoyed doing something similar for 25yrs with no real injury, just a few sleepless nights after a couple of significantly major events.

Whilst it’s absolutely essential for human-centric involvement Q. what role will technological advances play in future events?

e.g. I'd guess something along the lines of:

1) Fast commercial drone deployment to locate and live report to screen on details of access routes and (IR) heat signatures within a building.

2) Increased portability, speed of deployment when attending smaller domestic or automated alarm fire events, maybe on pairs of Fire bikes?
    220px-Merseyside_Fire_and_Rescue_Motorbike.jpg

3) Health wise, guess smaller internal/external complex health monitoring using web enabled devices - could be useful for data collection, remote verification and eventually admin of treatment.

4) Much further down the line, guessing actual walking robotics, and innovative products such as Co2 grenades for higher risk search & firefighting.
    Hana98 wrote: »
    What advice would you give to someone considering this career?
    Are there any types of calls that you hate turning up for for less tragic reasons? As in, I can imagine how much you must dread major house fires or RTAs, but do you get days when it's yet another drunken idiot or sprained wrist? Do you feel as if your time is being wasted?
    Muahahaha wrote: »
    Can I ask how risk assessments are carried out on burning cars and buildings? Like if you show up and a car is fully ablaze is it too risky to approach because the petrol tank might blow up? Are newer cars less risky in this regard, i.e are the petrol tanks fire proof for a certain period of time?

Same kind of question on buildings, especially industrial buildings that are on fire. Many which might have gas bottles on site and sometimes chemicals that are very explosive. If that happens to be the case is it a matter of fighting the fire from a distance and a height using the cherry pickers? How does your commanding officer even begin to assess the risks before ordering the crew to go inside a burning building where you may not know the contents, floor plans etc.
    Whats the one thing you see on a regular basis that you think..ffs if only i could get the message out there that this is a real issue? For example, youve said about the smoke alarms etc...do you find a lot of instances still where theyre not installed?

Think this is a superb profession, a relative enjoyed doing something similar for 25yrs with no real injury, just a few sleepless nights after a couple of significantly major events.

Whilst it’s absolutely essential for human-centric involvement Q. what role will technological advances play in future events?

e.g. I'd guess something along the lines of:

1) Fast commercial drone deployment to locate and live report to screen on details of access routes and (IR) heat signatures within a building.

2) Increased portability, speed of deployment when attending smaller domestic or automated alarm fire events, maybe on pairs of Fire bikes?
    220px-Merseyside_Fire_and_Rescue_Motorbike.jpg

3) Health wise, guess smaller internal/external complex health monitoring using web enabled devices - could be useful for data collection, remote verification and eventually admin of treatment.

4) Much further down the line, guessing actual walking robotics, and innovative products such as Co2 grenades for higher risk search & firefighting.
    Some of those I disagree with, but will probably come in! The fire bikes thing... OH NO! You must treat every fire alarm as a fire, the day you don't is the day that one of the bikers dies trapped in a real fire... I know nothing about the other things, but the Co2 grenade thing is a dangerous practice in my opinion. Yes, it quells the flames, but kills whatever organic life survived the fire, and does not cool the fire area, meaning that the fire will auto ignite as soon as air is drawn in again.

Or maybe I'm just old school!!! :)

I hate to be that poster but you seemed to have missed some Qs. Hope that you can answer them!

I have no idea how I missed them... Thank you!

Hana98 wrote: »
    What advice would you give to someone considering this career?

Have a long look at what I've said about the job here, and see if it really is for you. If you still think "YES", then I'd advise you to speak one on one with a serving member, go visit a station during a dayshift, they're usually welcoming!

Are there any types of calls that you hate turning up for for less tragic reasons? As in, I can imagine how much you must dread major house fires or RTAs, but do you get days when it's yet another drunken idiot or sprained wrist? Do you feel as if your time is being wasted?

OH YES! It's the bane of our profession. A huge amount of our callouts are time wasters. But as I said previously, a lot of these are people who are crying for help and have Psych issues. Kids gloves always used, despite the frustrations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭ratracer

Have a long look at what I've said about the job here, and see if it really is for you. If you still think "YES", then I'd advise you to speak one on one with a serving member, go visit a station during a dayshift, they're usually welcoming!

Generally the more cake you bring with you, the more welcoming the crew are... ;0)

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Can I ask how risk assessments are carried out on burning cars and buildings? Like if you show up and a car is fully ablaze is it too risky to approach because the petrol tank might blow up? Are newer cars less risky in this regard, i.e are the petrol tanks fire proof for a certain period of time?

Same kind of question on buildings, especially industrial buildings that are on fire. Many which might have gas bottles on site and sometimes chemicals that are very explosive. If that happens to be the case is it a matter of fighting the fire from a distance and a height using the cherry pickers? How does your commanding officer even begin to assess the risks before ordering the crew to go inside a burning building where you may not know the contents, floor plans etc.
    On your first question, petrol tanks do not explode like they do in the movies, and if even one bursts, our protective equipment would keep us safe! If you ever hear a loud bang at a car fire, it's usually the tyres popping.

The 2nd question is a good one, and the reason our job is dangerous to a certain extent. We treat all industrial fires with great caution. If the building is well alight, we usually don't commit personnel and sit back from a distance and throw water at it! However, I have been at large scale fires and cylinders of acetylene and other gases have exploded. I had a sphincter tightening episode about 10 years ago when I was at a fire with the acetylene cylinder that let loose about 200 meters from me!

I give you and your colleagues thanks :)

Just on the advanced paramedics, how are these guys selected for training - volunteer or promotion/interview etc?

I once worked with a Canadian girl(here for bf reasons) and she was an advanced paramedic and said all ambulance people were there - I take it the Canadian firebrigrade don't do both - are you familiar with other country firebrigrades?

You apply to be an AP, and its an interview and maybe an exam... I don't know for certain, as I never applied for it.

A lot of US and Canadian authorities have a joint fire EMS system, but I can't say for certain. A quick Google would tell you I guess if you search the Canadian city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mightydrumming

Loving this thread, here's another quick question :pac:

How often would you get members of the public visiting the station i.e - survivors, people that you folks have rescued etc..?

Whats the one thing you see on a regular basis that you think..ffs if only i could get the message out there that this is a real issue? For example, youve said about the smoke alarms etc...do you find a lot of instances still where theyre not installed?

Good question. Smoke alarms not working or the battery taken out because the thing beeped to let them know the battery was low! That is a real bugbear of mine!

If I could change anything, I would love people to stop calling ambulances for petty things, like the sore leg for 3 days and the sick tummy or high temperature in kids. Yes, you may need a doctor, but you do not need a 999 ambulance to take you to an A/E department!!! Don't get me started!!!

Loving this thread, here's another quick question :pac:

How often would you get members of the public visiting the station i.e - survivors, people that you folks have rescued etc..?

People we saved? Not very often, but every now and then. To be honest, we don't do it for thanks. But when we do, it's nice! There was one recently on RTE's documentary "Firefighters" about a couple in Swords and their story, but I can't find a link on youtube... Sorry!

We do get a lot of visitors to the stations, especially Americans around Paddy's day! :) General public are always welcome. Anyone looking to get info about the job as a possible career, are always shown around!

Do most staff have 2nd jobs, as first aid instructors or working at concerts and festivals?

If I could change anything, I would love people to stop calling ambulances for petty things, like the sore leg for 3 days and the sick tummy or high temperature in kids. Yes, you may need a doctor, but you do not need a 999 ambulance to take you to an A/E department!!! Don't get me started!!!

Do you get to turn people away? If you get dodgy cases like this, can you just drive away and tell them to make their own way?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Notavirus.exe

Yes, and it's not cheesy when you hear the primal scream of a mother, let me tell you!

Oh, I thought entering a burning building was against some kind of protocol you guys have or something.

I might become a fireman in the future. I just don't want to look like charcoal coming home from work. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Some Bloody good men/women swimmers in the DFB as well.... Good few have won the Liffey swim.... and this is on top of doing the channel also...

A friend of mine recently went into DFB, he was no spring chicken either, late 30's...Do you reckon its wise to go into the DFB at a younger age rather than later?

What do you think of the new recruits that have recently gone in from local authorities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mightydrumming

People we saved? There was one recently on RTE's documentary "Firefighters" about a couple in Swords and their story, but I can't find a link on youtube... Sorry!

I vaguely remember that all right, I think the woman went into cardiac arrest if I remember correctly? Loved the show!

I'll continue to have a snoop on here throughout the duration :)

Keep up the great work!

Do most staff have 2nd jobs, as first aid instructors or working at concerts and festivals?

Not as far as I know. I know one chap who does instruction on his days off, but that's voluntarily.

Edit. Actually I do know fellas who do 2nd jobs, but it doesn't interfere with their job in DFB!

Do you get to turn people away? If you get dodgy cases like this, can you just drive away and tell them to make their own way?

No. If you want an ambulance, you get one. It's your statutory right! Sadly!!!

Oh, I thought entering a burning building was against some kind of protocol you guys have or something.

I might become a fireman in the future. I just don't want to look like charcoal coming home from work. :o

No, We have some excellent fire behavior training that helps us give the best chance to those trapped in burning buildings.

mad m wrote: »
    Some Bloody good men/women swimmers in the DFB as well.... Good few have won the Liffey swim.... and this is on top of doing the channel also...

A friend of mine recently went into DFB, he was no spring chicken either, late 30's...Do you reckon its wise to go into the DFB at a younger age rather than later?

What do you think of the new recruits that have recently gone in from local authorities.
    I went in mid 20's and it was just about the perfect time. I would suggest that to anyone considering it as a career that they do it as soon as possible!

As for the people for DCC that came in? Bleedin useless! LOL Joking. Some excellent firefighters and Paramedics have joined our ranks through this route!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Would agree with you on the need for caution with any technology replacing human instinct & interaction e.g. meeting 7 foot Tungsten-titanium (5540oC mp) droid-bots on a dark stairwell could give most folks shock rather than any comfort or 1st aid. Co2 grenades do sound very high risk on hindsight as you mentioned, like a future script from ‘Backdraft the sequel’.

Merseyside & others do however use 'Firebikes', ideally in pairs and only ever as pre-arrival to the main engines. With early assessment, narrow access-ability and as tools for community awareness campaigns. Getting to a small toaster fire 300% faster (dense urban) could also be significant with minutes between a small fire starting and total room inferno.

i-Red Drones also could be good (as early pre-arrival to the main engines). My relative mentioned the strain of days spent on a vast mountainsides locating, pre-empting and fighting the yearly gorse fires, which a cheap drone could easily help coordinate.

He was also also knocked out once by collapsing roof masonry. This is something that (readily available) materials technology such as ‘D30’ aka 'd3o', inside carbon-fiber helmets would help prevent.

Individual (but separate) technology is also readily available for precise GPS member locating, remote bio-metric health monitoring, small IR-cams, headmounted displays (HMD) and even Augmented Reality (AR) mapping display capabilities. Although only maybe as prototypes combined for firefighting environments and not yet cost-effective nor user friendly as Google-glass proved.

Q. But assuming these days each member has individual inexpensive basic helmet comms for coordination?

...Guess an additional information challenge (this season) might be for caution with cheap overloaded usb chargers and defective 36v lithium packs in these new hoverboards, as less folks have cigarettes and are now using safer led xmas tree lights. Recent news of eu-wide faulty condenser-drying machines could be another big thing to look out for.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭1hnr79jr65

I have always believed the best way to promote a good practice is to start with young groups.

So my questions are

How much time to you or your colleagues get to visit schools to promote fire/medical safe practices, such as showing the video of the tree earlier?

Do you believe more time should be allocated to this?

What content do you believe would believe helpful in promoting fire/medical practices in schools?

Would you think this sort of engagement should be a mandatory school course?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭megabantz

Would agree with you on the need for caution with any technology replacing human instinct & interaction e.g. meeting 7 foot Tungsten-titanium (5540oC mp) droid-bots on a dark stairwell could give most folks shock rather than any comfort or 1st aid. Co2 grenades do sound very high risk on hindsight as you mentioned, like a future script from ‘Backdraft the sequel’.

Merseyside & others do however use 'Firebikes', ideally in pairs and only ever as pre-arrival to the main engines. With early assessment, narrow access-ability and as tools for community awareness campaigns. Getting to a small toaster fire 300% faster (dense urban) could also be significant with minutes between a small fire starting and total room inferno.

i-Red Drones also could be good (as early pre-arrival to the main engines). My relative mentioned the strain of days spent on a vast mountainsides locating, pre-empting and fighting the yearly gorse fires, which a cheap drone could easily help coordinate.

He was also also knocked out once by collapsing roof masonry. This is something that (readily available) materials technology such as ‘D30’ aka 'd3o', inside carbon-fiber helmets would help prevent.

Individual (but separate) technology is also readily available for precise GPS member locating, remote bio-metric health monitoring, small IR-cams, headmounted displays (HMD) and even Augmented Reality (AR) mapping display capabilities. Although only maybe as prototypes combined for firefighting environments and not yet cost-effective nor user friendly as Google-glass proved.

Q. But assuming these days each member has individual inexpensive basic helmet comms for coordination?

...Guess an additional information challenge (this season) might be for caution with cheap overloaded usb chargers and defective 36v lithium packs in these new hoverboards, as less folks have cigarettes and are now using safer led xmas tree lights. Recent news of eu-wide faulty condenser-drying machines could be another big thing to look out for.

What the Fu*k????? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭megabantz

What is your take on the level of care a Paramedic on the PHECC register can provide against the international paramedic standard (US/Uk etc) (advanced paramedic standard here after hours are completed from what I understand)? In particular drugs for pain relief? As an EMT I find it hard to understand why a Paramedic can only administer the same pain relief as an EMT (paracetamol +/ Ibuprophen +/ Entenox*). Personally I feel PHECC is very restrictive in areas even as EMT. What is your take on this?

* it's been a while since I looked at the Paramedic drugs list so hands up if this has changed

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

megabantz wrote: »
    What the Fu*k????? :D

Well to summarise :D, would hope that each member has at least basic radio communications built into their helmets.
    As more advanced technology combinations and materials are readily available today (all be it costly).

c-thru-smoke-diving-helmet-by-omer-haciomeroglu8.jpg

c-thru-smoke-diving-helmet-by-omer-haciomeroglu4.jpg

c-thru-smoke-diving-helmet-by-omer-haciomeroglu1.jpg

That is before the fully automated droids, drones & exoskeletons play a primary role in future years.

navy-firefighting-robot.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement