Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now Ye're Talking - to a Firefighter/Paramedic

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Notavirus.exe

• Company Representative Posts: 79 Verified rep I'm a Firefighter/Paramedic, AMA

Would agree with you on the need for caution with any technology replacing human instinct & interaction e.g. meeting 7 foot Tungsten-titanium (5540oC mp) droid-bots on a dark stairwell could give most folks shock rather than any comfort or 1st aid. Co2 grenades do sound very high risk on hindsight as you mentioned, like a future script from ‘Backdraft the sequel’.

Merseyside & others do however use 'Firebikes', ideally in pairs and only ever as pre-arrival to the main engines. With early assessment, narrow access-ability and as tools for community awareness campaigns. Getting to a small toaster fire 300% faster (dense urban) could also be significant with minutes between a small fire starting and total room inferno.

i-Red Drones also could be good (as early pre-arrival to the main engines). My relative mentioned the strain of days spent on a vast mountainsides locating, pre-empting and fighting the yearly gorse fires, which a cheap drone could easily help coordinate.

He was also also knocked out once by collapsing roof masonry. This is something that (readily available) materials technology such as ‘D30’ aka 'd3o', inside carbon-fiber helmets would help prevent.

Individual (but separate) technology is also readily available for precise GPS member locating, remote bio-metric health monitoring, small IR-cams, headmounted displays (HMD) and even Augmented Reality (AR) mapping display capabilities. Although only maybe as prototypes combined for firefighting environments and not yet cost-effective nor user friendly as Google-glass proved.

Q. But assuming these days each member has individual inexpensive basic helmet comms for coordination?

...Guess an additional information challenge (this season) might be for caution with cheap overloaded usb chargers and defective 36v lithium packs in these new hoverboards, as less folks have cigarettes and are now using safer led xmas tree lights. Recent news of eu-wide faulty condenser-drying machines could be another big thing to look out for.
    I'm a bit amazed at your depth of knowledge, and you surpass my knowledge of new technology. As for basic helmet comms, we recently changed our BA sets, and they have a comms port which we use for radio comms. That's about it.

• Company Representative Posts: 79 Verified rep I'm a Firefighter/Paramedic, AMA

I have always believed the best way to promote a good practice is to start with young groups.

So my questions are

1How much time to you or your colleagues get to visit schools to promote fire/medical safe practices, such as showing the video of the tree earlier?

2Do you believe more time should be allocated to this?

3What content do you believe would believe helpful in promoting fire/medical practices in schools?

4Would you think this sort of engagement should be a mandatory school course?
    1) We have a schools visitation programme that goes to all primary schools (think it's 3rd class) so all kids are visited at some stage, and we promote fire safety in the home. We would never show the tree video to children, it's a bit too frightening for them to be honest. We visit every primary school once a year, but not sure what percentage of our time this is.

2) Not really, we have lots of other stuff to attend to during day times.

3)Not sure I understand what you mean. We just promote fire safety. Medical treatment of children is the school's concern.

4)I have no opinion on this, sorry.

megabantz wrote: »
    What is your take on the level of care a Paramedic on the PHECC register can provide against the international paramedic standard (US/Uk etc) (advanced paramedic standard here after hours are completed from what I understand)? In particular drugs for pain relief? As an EMT I find it hard to understand why a Paramedic can only administer the same pain relief as an EMT (paracetamol +/ Ibuprophen +/ Entenox*). Personally I feel PHECC is very restrictive in areas even as EMT. What is your take on this?

* it's been a while since I looked at the Paramedic drugs list so hands up if this has changed
    Good question.

You're pretty spot on about how I feel. We admin various drugs IM, Bucaly and orally. There is no real reason that I can see. I COULD speculate that the members of the PHECC board are being asked not to allow more drug admin, by the doctors on the board...But that would be pure speculation!!!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Just read through this whole thread, thanks for your informative answers and indeed your servive to our city :)

Few questions

1) How are new firefighters introduced to situations? Are they made wait for an "easy" call out to get their hands dirty?

2) Do you remember how you felt going to your first call out?

3) Is there "fire simulations" as part of your training (Something like an empty building set ablaze and you've to put it out). If so, how much do these help prepare you for the real thing?

4) How do you rate the importance of fire drills?

5) Have you had to work many Christmas days? Does it bother you?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement

Just read through this whole thread, thanks for your informative answers and indeed your servive to our city :)

Few questions

1) How are new firefighters introduced to situations? Are they made wait for an "easy" call out to get their hands dirty?

2) Do you remember how you felt going to your first call out?

3) Is there "fire simulations" as part of your training (Something like an empty building set ablaze and you've to put it out). If so, how much do these help prepare you for the real thing?

4) How do you rate the importance of fire drills?

5) Have you had to work many Christmas days? Does it bother you?

1) No, our training is very realistic, and we are always coupled up to a senior man in our first few months. Until the officer gets to assess how proficient you are at the job! No better way to learn than doing!

2) Yes actually. Very excited and a small bit nervous!

3) Yes, it's an integral part of our training. Search and rescue techniques are drilled into us, as are fire behavior exercises. These are quite intense but easily the most challenging of our training. I personally found it the most enjoyable. When your in a real pickle, you search for something inside yourself that you never knew you had, until you've entered a burning room!

4) Highly. Makes our rescue efforts a lot easier!

5) Quite often. Wasn't so bad before I had children of my own, but hate it now that I do! But to be honest, when I signed up for the job, I knew what I was getting into. I detest my colleagues who try their best to avoid Halloween or Paddy's or Christmas. There are some that do! SUCK IT UP FUZZBALLS!!! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭5500

With the current DFB recruitment campaign active have you any words of advice or preperation tips on what to expect training wise if they get the call up for the job?

5500 wrote: »
    With the current DFB recruitment campaign active have you any words of advice or preperation tips on what to expect training wise if they get the call up for the job?

If you really want it, you will need to go talk to a fireman in a station, or if you know a friend of a friend etc. There really is way too much you'll need to know, and I don't have the patience to type a war and peace type post!!! Pop into any of the stations during the day time and they are generally very welcoming.

The training is very militaristic in it's regime, and is physically very demanding. You will need to be fit, need to be willing to be "abused" by the commanding officers and suck it up. If you can keep your head down and carry on through it without causing a fuss, you'll be fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Alien Haze

Hi
    If you won the lotto would you continue in your job?
    also
    What's your favourite humming sound ?
    Mine is hmmmmmmm.

Alien Haze wrote: »
    Hi
    If you won the lotto would you continue in your job?
    also
    What's your favourite humming sound ?
    Mine is hmmmmmmm.

Hah!

It depends on how much I won. If I won 2 million or more, then i would quit I guess!

My favourite humming sound is that which comes from an idling Audi RS6.

• Advertisement

What time of year are you guys busiest?

What time of year are you guys busiest?

Sorry for the slow reply, busy day today!

The few weeks before Halloween and the couple of weeks after, then after a brief lull, the run up to Christmas kicks in. All over the festive season, and then it quietens down a bit. Paddy's day and any time there is very treacherous weather or something of that nature. Prolonged periods of warm dry weather also bring an uptick in turnouts, but that doesn't happen to often in sodden Ireland!!! :-)

Sorry for the slow reply, busy day today!

The few weeks before Halloween and the couple of weeks after, then after a brief lull, the run up to Christmas kicks in. All over the festive season, and then it quietens down a bit. Paddy's day and any time there is very treacherous weather or something of that nature. Prolonged periods of warm dry weather also bring an uptick in turnouts, but that doesn't happen to often in sodden Ireland!!! :-)

You guys do more work than the Guards! :rolleyes:

You guys are heroes. You put your lives at risk to save others. I bet you get paid well though. :P

Well, I hope you have a good Christmas and I hope you stay safe while on the job.

Thank you, many happy returns.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Negative_G

Have you encountered many instances of nepotism in DFB?

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Vinculus

Have you ever appeared in a calendar?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

Vinculus wrote: »

Is someone playing a game of Guess Who? here? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Vinculus

No, no, not at all :-)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Can't think of a question that hasn't been asked but I just wanted to echo what others have said... Thanks so much for all you and your colleagues do.

Negative_G wrote: »
    Have you encountered many instances of nepotism in DFB?

I wouldn't call it nepotism, but there are people who follow in family members footsteps, most certainly!

• Advertisement

Vinculus wrote: »

No :D

xzanti wrote: »
    Can't think of a question that hasn't been asked but I just wanted to echo what others have said... Thanks so much for all you and your colleagues do.

Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭randy hickey

Is there any animosity between members of DFB and members of AGS? - You know, in the way that it's often portrayed that there is a rivalry between FDNY and NYPD!

Once again, thank you for your service, and have a good Christmas.

Is there any animosity between members of DFB and members of AGS? - You know, in the way that it's often portrayed that there is a rivalry between FDNY and NYPD!

Once again, thank you for your service, and have a good Christmas.

If there is, I've never experienced it. We work together quite closely a lot of the time, so there seems to be a lot of mutual respect from my perspective.

Apart from traffic cops. Even Gardai don't like them!!!! :)

Oh, and many happy returns!

Thanks for your service to the city. You and the lads are a credit to her!

I grew up further West, but spent almost half my life in Dublin so I've seen things from both sides.

Is there a rivalry between the DFB and other emergency service providers outside Dublin? How do you rate how things are done further out as opposed to in the City? Is there anything the country's other Emergency services could/should learn from DFB, or is there something you've seen down the country that you think would be a good idea for the DFB?

Also, have you had any dealings with the voluntary emergency services (Red Cross, Order of Malta, Civil Defence)? Do you see the voluntaries as filling a useful role or do they get in the way?

And, what advice would you give to a volunteer service member who's in a position to make themself useful at an incident (safely I might add!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

Just following up on the technology question, an Irish student invented a helmet with proximity sensors that gives firefighters feedback when they are near a wall or obstacle, could you see this being useful?

Is there anything you find frustrating about the equipment available to you?

1Thanks for your service to the city. You and the lads are a credit to her!

I grew up further West, but spent almost half my life in Dublin so I've seen things from both sides.

2Is there a rivalry between the DFB and other emergency service providers outside Dublin? How do you rate how things are done further out as opposed to in the City? Is there anything the country's other Emergency services could/should learn from DFB, or is there something you've seen down the country that you think would be a good idea for the DFB?

3Also, have you had any dealings with the voluntary emergency services (Red Cross, Order of Malta, Civil Defence)? Do you see the voluntaries as filling a useful role or do they get in the way?

4And, what advice would you give to a volunteer service member who's in a position to make themself useful at an incident (safely I might add!)
    1) Thank you!
    2) No rivalry as far as I know. There is currently an issue with Kildare FS and Dublin coming in to assist, but this is an IR issue and way above my head, so I have no strong opinion. I've never worked alongside or with any other fire service so again, I have no idea.
    3) Only when we pick up patients from concerts or events etc. Always very professional and courteous. The volunteer services serve a huge purpose at these events.
    4) Really, that would depend on the type and scale of the incident, but if help was required at any incident, and qualified help was available, any officer/crew would be a fool to ignore it in my opinion.

ectoraige wrote: »
    Just following up on the technology question, an Irish student invented a helmet with proximity sensors that gives firefighters feedback when they are near a wall or obstacle, could you see this being useful?

Is there anything you find frustrating about the equipment available to you?

I don't know to be honest. I'd have to use it and see. I'm using our search and shuffle system so long, it's ingrained in me!!!

I'm always a bit wary of some technologies. If it fails, then you meed your training to fall back on, and if you're using this technology, then you rely less on your skills, and use them less, making you less proficient at them.

And no, I don't get frustrated by the equipment available to us. We (generally speaking) are a well equipped service

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

ectoraige wrote: »
    Just following up on the technology question, an Irish student invented a helmet with proximity sensors ...

Was thinking something like that (sonar) would be very handy (if combined with InfraRed), as is a real-time feedback and wouldn't rely on any external data (floorplans) uploaded to HUDs (visor display).

But as the chap mentioned, training & default senses such as the sound of a creaking roof, hot to the touch door handles, and the smell of petrol always more reliable.

I'd invest a $300 D30 undersuit all the same (as used by skiers, motorcross and stuntfolks). A dilatant non-Newtonian fluid which dynamically changes structure on impact:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=d3o+beanie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭theredletter

I know I might not get a straight answer (lol!) but what would the DFB think of an LGBT person joining? In real terms, not the HR spin!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement