Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now Ye're Talking - to a Firefighter/Paramedic

Options
12346»

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 79 Verified rep I'm a Firefighter/Paramedic, AMA

I know I might not get a straight answer (lol!) but what would the DFB think of an LGBT person joining? In real terms, not the HR spin!

Well, we have some members already who are openly members of the LGBT community, and as far as I'm concerned, they are treated like everybody else in the job. Again, hard to use this as a yard stick, but I've never heard of any complaints by them, and I'm in the job a long, long time.

• Company Representative Posts: 79 Verified rep I'm a Firefighter/Paramedic, AMA

Was thinking something like that (sonar) would be very handy (if combined with InfraRed), as is a real-time feedback and wouldn't rely on any external data (floorplans) uploaded to HUDs (visor display).

But as the chap mentioned, training & default senses such as the sound of a creaking roof, hot to the touch door handles, and the smell of petrol always more reliable.

I'd invest a $300 D30 undersuit all the same (as used by skiers, motorcross and stuntfolks). A dilatant non-Newtonian fluid which dynamically changes structure on impact:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=d3o+beanie

I'm not sure if this is directed at me, but I have no real interest in technological advances, nor have I an answer for you. I've hinted at this several times. I'm not against advances, and will use them as directed by my employer if needs be, I'm just not "into it" if you get what I mean.

Let me put it this way: Techno gadgets....It's not a hobby of mine!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

I remember reading an article about a member of the police in either England or PSNI who attended a car crash and was trying to get guy out of the car, talking to him etc.

They couldn't get him out as his feet were trapped. They were talking whilst waiting for FS to arrive. However, the engine went on fire. despite his efforts he had to stand and watch the man burn to death.

The policeman suffered severe injuries and was retired.

This story has always stuck in my mind as horrific.

1. Any advice for 'first on scene' people at crashes.? Surely there is information somewhere on this?
    2. How do you deal with the the more tragic incidents? Black humour, ignoring it, talking, counselling?
    3. Has there ever been an incident (in either role) where you have said "enough" and thought about a job change?
    4. Have you ever been attacked by teens at a scene? (happens often in NI).
    5. Do you get 'jealous' about the level of esteem given to your colleagues in the USA compared to here?

Thanks.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,434 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Great AMA!

I am from a different background, structural engineering and Fire Engineering. So basically trying to get the buildings safe from fire before occupation.

Is there anything we do as designers/fire prevention inspectors/building control inspectors that you think we should be highlighting more, or changing?

Thanks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Notavirus.exe

I hope you don't mind me asking, but what is your average response time? i.e. Time it takes to arrive at the scene after you receive the call?

It takes at least 30 minutes around here which is unacceptable. I can understand the delays in Dublin with it being a busy city and all but I just want to know if this is normal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

I heard this somewhere.....The Pedals in a Car (Accelerator etc), when you're in a Crash, do they end up pushing the occupants legs back up at weird angles damaging knees and hips?

Is that a common injury??

Any Cars out there that your Machines can't cut through?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭La.de.da

Hi there.

Does your job make you appreciate life more considering at times you see how fragile it can be?

Does the current state of the health care system directly impact on your work.

I think anyone in this line of work is admirable ( not just for the uniform ;)) so thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

My brother does this role in rural Ireland and I can't put into words how much I admire what he & yourself & all of your colleagues around the country do, it is unbelievably difficult job and requires bravery and courage way beyond my capabilities.

I get very irritated when people imply that it's a cushy job, the assumption of a lot of people is that you turn up put out a chimney fire and all go home, the reality is so different. Some of the things that my brother has had to deal with would have scarred me for life, I've been in tears when he's told me over the phone what he's had to deal with on a call out, god knows how I'd cope actually have to be there and respond appropriately.

Do you ever get that patronising take on your profession by ignorant people and if so how do you respond.

I remember reading an article about a member of the police in either England or PSNI who attended a car crash and was trying to get guy out of the car, talking to him etc.

They couldn't get him out as his feet were trapped. They were talking whilst waiting for FS to arrive. However, the engine went on fire. despite his efforts he had to stand and watch the man burn to death.

The policeman suffered severe injuries and was retired.

This story has always stuck in my mind as horrific.

1. Any advice for 'first on scene' people at crashes.? Surely there is information somewhere on this?
    2. How do you deal with the the more tragic incidents? Black humour, ignoring it, talking, counselling?
    3. Has there ever been an incident (in either role) where you have said "enough" and thought about a job change?
    4. Have you ever been attacked by teens at a scene? (happens often in NI).
    5. Do you get 'jealous' about the level of esteem given to your colleagues in the USA compared to here?

Thanks.

1) I've no advice that can help apart from call the emergency services and take the advice of the dispatcher, especially if you have no first aid training.. Each individual incident can have the polar opposite effects if you intervene. I would urge you all to take some sort of first aid training.
    2) I've answered this at the start of this thread. All that you suggested apart from 'ignoring it'.
    3) Not really. I've often questioned why I do it, but never much more than that!
    4) Yes, lots of times. By adults too.
    5) No. I'm not the jealous type to be honest.

kceire wrote: »
    Great AMA!

I am from a different background, structural engineering and Fire Engineering. So basically trying to get the buildings safe from fire before occupation.

Is there anything we do as designers/fire prevention inspectors/building control inspectors that you think we should be highlighting more, or changing?

Thanks.
    Not my filed of expertise really, so I cannot answer that with any certainty, apart form maybe enforcing the projects are built as per the approved plans. This has been a problem in the past. (ie no firebreaks in attic spaces, despite plans showing there was.)

• Advertisement

I hope you don't mind me asking, but what is your average response time? i.e. Time it takes to arrive at the scene after you receive the call?

It takes at least 30 minutes around here which is unacceptable. I can understand the delays in Dublin with it being a busy city and all but I just want to know if this is normal.

I don't know our average, but we aim to make it within 8 minutes (I think). I think our average is somewhere in the 11 minute mark for ambulances, and a good bit less than that on the fire engines .

Sorry if I'm a bit vague. I'm the type of firefighter who thinks from the neck down. :) Stats and technology are not really my thing!

I heard this somewhere.....The Pedals in a Car (Accelerator etc), when you're in a Crash, do they end up pushing the occupants legs back up at weird angles damaging knees and hips?

Is that a common injury??

Any Cars out there that your Machines can't cut through?
    Anything in a car can do damage to you, but essentially it's the crash that does, if you get what I mean. Yes, I've seen pedals cause leg and feet damage. Never hip or knee.

Our cutting equipment is excellent, and while cars structures are getting stronger, I've yet to see one our gear could not cut!!!

La.de.da wrote: »
    Hi there.

1Does your job make you appreciate life more considering at times you see how fragile it can be?

2Does the current state of the health care system directly impact on your work.

I think anyone in this line of work is admirable ( not just for the uniform ;)) so thank you.
    1) Absolutely correct. Yes.

2) Yes, our ambulances often get held up in A/E depts because of bed shortages and if we have no bed to transfer our patient to, we have to wait with our patient on our trolley until one becomes available.

endabob1 wrote: »
    My brother does this role in rural Ireland and I can't put into words how much I admire what he & yourself & all of your colleagues around the country do, it is unbelievably difficult job and requires bravery and courage way beyond my capabilities.

I get very irritated when people imply that it's a cushy job, the assumption of a lot of people is that you turn up put out a chimney fire and all go home, the reality is so different. Some of the things that my brother has had to deal with would have scarred me for life, I've been in tears when he's told me over the phone what he's had to deal with on a call out, god knows how I'd cope actually have to be there and respond appropriately.

Do you ever get that patronising take on your profession by ignorant people and if so how do you respond.
    Yes, I do, very often. I ignore it mostly. One thing this job has thought me is that you need a thick skin. If I have responded, it's usually with something like "Handy job? Did you enjoy Christmas? Good, because I worked for all of it and missed my kids Santa moments". I'd never bring up the nasty aspect of what we do, just remind them how "handy" it is that we work when everyone else has their feet up!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

If you ever get a call regarding a patient who is acting violently what is the protocol? Are the guards contacted? What if you arrive at a seen where somebody clearly needs medical attention but is being extremely aggressive, how is this dealt with?

thelad95 wrote: »
    If you ever get a call regarding a patient who is acting violently what is the protocol? Are the guards contacted? What if you arrive at a seen where somebody clearly needs medical attention but is being extremely aggressive, how is this dealt with?

Good question! Our protocol is of course, to get the Gardai to intervene. We do not approach any scene unless we deem it safe to do so. A lot of the time, agitated patients can be calmed down with the right words and gentle approach, nullifying the need for the law, but every now and then, patients need to be arrested for their own safety. I have treated patients in handcuffs many times.

Well, that's it I think. Time to call an end to it. I've enjoyed giving you all a taste for what I do. Have a very healthy and happy and SAFE new year!

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

I want to say a really big thank you to our Firefighter/Paramedic guest this week, it's been a really interesting and insightful AMA. Who knows, you may have inspired a few boardsies to apply themselves for the DFB :D

Time to close this one up now, thanks for all the questions too.

If anyone would like to apply to do an AMA themselves, have a read here. We'd love to hear from you.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement