Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New HD freezing

Options
  • 08-12-2015 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

I just bought a Seagate Backup Plus 3TB, installed it ok but it will only backup folders of up to say 1MB!
    When I tried to back up my photos (>80MB) it stalls after 3%.

Is this faulty or am I missing something?

I'm not a techie so have no idea what to do next, never had this problem with previous external drives. Formatting it seems like a last resort?

Thanks

W

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

What did you format it as when you first installed it?
    Are you just using copy and paste to back up the files or are you using some proprietary software?

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Winnieacre

Thanks for your response

I just followed the installation software on the HD and was presented with a menu of options:-
    Back up PC, Back up mobile etc.

then had various options - snapshot, monthly, weekly...continuous

W

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

If you haven't managed to save anything onto it then a format won't do any harm. However if the format fails it would indicate a hardware issue.

Thanks Mordeith

I'm happy to overwrite the few folders saved to the HD but would formatting it mean I couldn't take it back to PCworld?

Is there any software that I could use to check it?

W

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Winnieacre wrote: »
    Thanks Mordeith

I'm happy to overwrite the few folders saved to the HD but would formatting it mean I couldn't take it back to PCworld?

Is there any software that I could use to check it?

W

I can't see how formatting would void any warranty. That's usually only if you physically open a device (I'm open to correction on this).
    You can run a check from Windows on the disk

Open Computer/This PC and locate the external hard drive that needs checked.
    Right-click on the drive and select Properties.
    From the Properties screen, select the Tools tab.
    On the Tools tab, click the Check Now button in the Error-checking section.
    Select both check boxes to do a full scan of the drive and attempt recovery of data. This option may take longer, but will result in the recovery of data if the drive has corrupt sectors.
    Wait for the process to finish. The larger the drive and/or the more errors it has, the longer the process will take.
    When the process is complete, review the log. If any bad sectors were repaired or data recovered, the drive may be usable, but you may want to consider replacing the disk as these errors could indicate potential drive failure in the future.

• Advertisement

Hi Mordeith

I ran that check disk and computer did a restart afterwards - where do I find the log? I looked in event viewer but couldn't find anything that made any reference to check disk...

W

• Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭whizbang

I suspect its mostly windows issues causing this..

Press Ctrl, Shift, Esc at the same time, to bring up Windows task manager.
    click on the Processes tab; on the bottom left of the window, the number of running processes are shown. How many?

Advertisement