Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Firewall - no FTP

Options
  • 08-12-2015 7:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

Hi guys

I've a UPC modem and the Firewall seems pretty basic with Low, Medium and High protection settings.

If it's on anything other than Low, I can't FTP into some services. I don't want to keep my Firewall set to LOW and was wondering what you do or if you have this issue?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Some routers require LOW for user port forwards to work. If youve forwarded for FTP and it doesnt work on Medium, then set it to Low, its fine. Just allows UPnP and forwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭eladnova

Thanks ED E

I should have clarified.
    I'm talking about accessing remote FTP sites. Once the router is set above Low, I can't FTP into a few remote servers.

On the other hand, FTP'ing into my NAS from remote services works.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You have two options so:

1. Leave it at low, its probably not an issue despite the name.

2. Beg UPC for an EPC3925 and then bridge it to a decent router.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,455 ✭✭✭✭Alun

eladnova wrote: »
    Thanks ED E

I should have clarified.
    I'm talking about accessing remote FTP sites. Once the router is set above Low, I can't FTP into a few remote servers.

On the other hand, FTP'ing into my NAS from remote services works.
    This is often due to trying to use active as opposed to passive mode FTP. Active FTP has problems getting past a lot of firewalls, whereas passive or PASV mode doesn't. All FTP servers and clients support both modes, and will usually negotiate a mode that will work. You could try forcing passive mode in your FTP client and see if that helps.

Advertisement