Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice please on PC upgrade.

Options
  • 08-12-2015 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭

Hi All

Looking to upgrade my current PC so I can play Fallout 4 etc at a reasonable level of graphics and speed with out it stalling out every 20/30 mins.

My current PC specs are

GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 6950 2GB
    Motherboard: Gigabyte S-Series GA-X48-DS4
    CPU:Inter Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600 2.40 GHz
    RAM: 4 GB Ram
    PSU: Corsair TX 750 w

Looking to spend in the region of €500

Thinking new mother board, CPU and 16 GB of RAM, the GPU should keep me going for another while until I can afford a 970 as to should the Power supply and wireless card.

Any suggestions regarding CPU would be greatly appreciated.

With the exception of a new GPU this current rig has lasted 8 years so really time for an upgrade..

Cheers in Advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

8gb of ram will do for now rather than 16.

Any leaning towards amd or intel?

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭spoofilyj

Redfox25 wrote: »
    8gb of ram will do for now rather than 16.

Any leaning towards amd or intel?

Well i've been on parts picker weighing up the options and am only coming to terms with no pci slots on boards these days...

So because of this i'm thinking an Intel i5 3.2 ghz then a wireless motherboard. As my wireless card will be redundant.

Probably still get the 16gb ram as it's just as easy to get 2 dims of 8 gb and not to bad at £60 for the pair.

Any suggestions, also are stock fans ok on the i5's I know amd cpus have heat problems but have always gone with stock on Intel chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Wireless is a bit meh for gaming, will homeplugs work for you?

The only reason I ask about AMD vs Intel is on cost. For gaming Intel is considered better.

Ram is pretty cheap atm, might as well go for 16 g so

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭spoofilyj

Redfox25 wrote: »
    Wireless is a bit meh for gaming, will homeplugs work for you?

The only reason I ask about AMD vs Intel is on cost. For gaming Intel is considered better.

Ram is pretty cheap atm, might as well go for 16 g so

Agreed I have a network cable plugged in at home but it's nice to have the option when I take the pc to the folks place.
    Amd are solid but intel have the edge at the moment for gaming I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Its a lot handier to get a cheap board with a wireless card than a wireless board.

i5 6500 €250
    8gb DDR4 €50
    Board €120
    And a 250gb SSD €90
    Brings you to close to €500, that's what I'd spend the money on.

Could knock off about €100 or more with a Haswell build either, which is relatively no performance impact

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

i5-4440 - €180
    H97 - €80
    8GB - €50
    120GB SSD - €60
    R9 380 4GB - €220
    Total - 600ish

Use 120GB SSD for Windows + few main games, plus existing drive for storage secondary games.

Sell the HD6950 for €100 to add to that €500, sell the Q6600, board, ram for €50-60.

Shouldn't cost you net more than about €450 and performance will be literally quadrupled. Going with Skylake is better on-paper, but won't make any difference to games and by the time it does a newer, much faster socket will be along anyway. Every generation since Sandybridge in 2011 has only seen incremental increases - even a €60 2nd hand Sandybridge i5 is every bit as fast as even Skylake until you start hitting the major performance cards.

I'd personally take the above build over a Skylake with a weaker GPU. You get the bragging rights but zero performance gain. I'm personally skipping Skylake completely, not worth it in my opinion from a gaming perspective. The money saved can be splashed on a GPU which is 4x more important.

Advertisement