Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Occupy...Brown Thomas

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

In some ways it's quite refreshing, and slightly reassuring, that there are still people who are willing to stand up for what they believe in and bring attention to the many ills this country is still suffering from due to corruption and bad governing, even if it is in the form of a silly protest. People can make all the jokes they like in this thread, but truth be told, they're not really funny at all, and only serve as a self defence mechanism against their own fears and insecurity.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Canadel wrote: »
    In some ways it's quite refreshing, and slightly reassuring, that there are still people who are willing to stand up for what they believe in and bring attention to the many ills this country is still suffering from due to corruption and bad governing, even if it is in the form of a silly protest. People can make all the jokes they like in this thread, but truth be told, they're not really funny at all, and only serve as a self defence mechanism against their own fears and insecurity.

Nah they are pretty funny, also can you clarify exactly what is being achieved by occupying Brown Thomas?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

In some ways it's quite refreshing, and slightly reassuring, that there are still people who are willing to stand up for what they believe in and to bring attention to the many ills this country is still suffering from due to corruption and bad governing, even if it is in the form of a silly protest. People can make all jokes they like in this thread, but truth be told, they're not really funny at all, and only serve as a self defence mechanism against their own fears and insecurity.

Not so much "standing up for what they believe in" as "meandering aimlessly for what they believe in".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭SpaceSasqwatch

Maybe they were getting a bit of Christmas shopping shoplifting done while protesting austerity? Two birds with one stone and all that.

FYP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

This will affect me in no discernible way. Therefore, I don't give a sh*te.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭Lights On

To be fair the ironic thing about what they've done today is that it will just take the spotlight off the corruption scandal that has been taking up the news for the past few days and instead it will be "Look what happened in town today, guards on horses!!" Kind of defeats the whole purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,077 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Ah surely they could occupy a job somewhere.
    they will later on, or tomorrow when their day off ends. but i suppose your another one of these "9 to 5 is the only exceptable working time" types
    Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Most people don't have time to protest, that thing we call 'work' gets in the way.
    not everyone works 9 to 5. so your point means nothing, it just shows you have nothing constructive to say
    RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Meanwhile the rest of the country worked to pay their benefits!
    did they? any evidence to back up and prove that
    1. the protesters are all on benefits rather then simply having a day off or not working 9 to 5 and having a later shift?
    2. that there were no non protesters who were on a day off or not working at the exact times of the protest?
    Unless they work. Which is possible.
    shhhhh.
    don't you know only those working 9 to 5 are legitimate workers. other shifts or days off don't exist, and anyone not working 9 to 5 is a dolehead. (not my words)

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

In some ways it's quite refreshing, and slightly reassuring, that there are still people who are willing to stand up for what they believe in and bring attention to the many ills this country is still suffering from due to corruption and bad governing, even if it is in the form of a silly protest. People can make all jokes they like in this thread, but truth be told, they're not really funny at all, and only serve as a self defence mechanism against their own fears and insecurity.

You want to know what my fears are? My fear is that these muppets get in to power and decide to inflict their ideals on the rest of us.
    Everyone on the same wage regardless of ability or effort.
    No personal wealth allowed.
    State control of all utilities.
    No personal property - cause property is theft - right?
    Etc etc.

Its already been tried in the USSR and China. It does not work.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

It's Éirígí- absolutley nothing refreshing about them

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Archeron wrote: »
    Has there been any Occupy Mannings Bakery yet? I'll do that, I like cake.

Give us a shout when you're going up...I like their sambos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Polis turn up to protect south side shock.

Dozens of gardaí from a number of Dublin stations – including at least five from the Mounted Support Unit – responded

Meanwhile I was stabbed 17 times on Talbot street by junkies. In half an hour.

There were 2 from the mounted unit. And the dope from the Journal even took a photo of the 2, while reporting 5. Jesus, I hate that rag (albeit electronic)

I wonder, did perhaps some of the protesters decide to kill 2 birds with one stone, lil bit of xmas shopping in the middle of a protest, and others just followed suit?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,348 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    There were 2 from the mounted unit. And the dope from the Journal even took a photo of the 2, while reporting 5. Jesus, I hate that rag (albeit electronic)

I wonder, did perhaps some of the protesters decide to kill 2 birds with one stone, lil bit of xmas shopping in the middle of a protest, and others just followed suit?

There's 5 horses lined up at the gate to St. Stephen's Green in the article. He took more than one photo, clearly.

Sounded like the most aimless, ridiculous shenanigans to be tying up the entire city centre with on a busy pre-Christmas afternoon. Pardon the bad grammar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

VinLieger wrote: »
    Nah they are pretty funny, also can you clarify exactly what is being achieved by occupying Brown Thomas?
    I can't clarify anything. I can only give my own perspective of events, which may be way off, but are I believe still more accurate than most of the jibes and insults in this thread. Oh well, who really cares.
    Menas wrote: »
    You want to know what my fears are? My fear is that these muppets get in to power and decide to inflict their ideals on the rest of us.
    Everyone on the same wage regardless of ability or effort.
    No personal wealth allowed.
    Etc etc.

Its already been tried in the USSR and China. It does not work.
    Your fears are irrational.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Your fears are irrational.

So what kind of regime would these muppets inflict on us if they got their own way?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,498 ✭✭✭Heroditas

So what kind of regime would these muppets inflict on us if they got their own way?

But they're never going to be in power so it doesn't matter one iota

• Registered Users Posts: 29,077 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

well, privatization of utilities hasn't exactly worked either. so, having the infrastructure in state hands with a mixture of state and private companies providing the services with high regulation ensuring affordability and investment will be a better option.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Enda should give them a €1,000 Brown Thomas voucher each.
    You've got to recognise the sacrifices of these freedom fighters, strolling around Grafton Street on a cold afternoon.

I find it depressing that people would think the anti austerity cause, or issues with corruption or bad governance, might be advanced by their occupying a shop that sells expensive goods. It's that the extent of their grasp of the situation and the issues? Pointing out the utter stupidity of their action has nothing to do with "fears and insecurities"...their actions are utterly stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

Are you for real? These people are nothing but scumbags and idiotic gob****es. They don't believe in anything except causing trouble and getting whatever they can get their hands on for nothing. They don't give a **** about you, me, society or anything ****ing else. Don't be so naive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

I can imagine this lot complaining about renewable energy from wind-farms creating pylons. And then complaining about no jobs in the areas this renewable energy would deliver more power. And that there is no Broadband on Craggy island.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

What was the point of all that? Really what was the point?

Their fan club will be happy with 5 minutes of media the rest of us will either laugh or shrug

I can imagine this lot complaining about renewable energy from wind-farms creating pylons. And then complaining about no jobs in the areas this renewable energy would deliver more power. And that there is no Broadband on Craggy island.

"Where's my international airport and world-leading hospital?"

Heroditas wrote: »
    "Where's my international airport and world-leading hospital?"

Are they not putting them underground due to complaints about tourism ?

Are they not putting them underground due to complaints about tourism ?

As it not the radiation from the x-ray machines causing them to do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,610 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I am totally baffled reading this news today, can't understand what they were doing in a department store.

In the bank I can understand, they hate all things banking. But a department store? A very Irish thing to do. It reeks of jealousy of people who are better off then them who can afford to shop in BT. Does that mean I should go and protest outside the Jaguar or Ferrari dealers and call names to those going in to buy cars I can't afford?

Muppets.

Heroditas wrote: »
    As it not the radiation from the x-ray machines causing them to do this?

Could be, I can give you decades of reports saying they are safe but they get overruled by information from sites that say chemtrails kill angles and alike. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭FalconGirl

I see Derek Byrne was in the mix again. He is such a f**king midget parasite. Always causing hassle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

I think I'll go buy me a fur coat tomorrow just to pizz them off

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭jimboblep

they will later on, or tomorrow when their day off ends. but i suppose your another one of these "9 to 5 is the only exceptable working time" types

not everyone works 9 to 5. so your point means nothing, it just shows you have nothing constructive to say

did they? any evidence to back up and prove that
    1. the protesters are all on benefits rather then simply having a day off or not working 9 to 5 and having a later shift?
    2. that there were no non protesters who were on a day off or not working at the exact times of the protest?

shhhhh.
    don't you know only those working 9 to 5 are legitimate workers. other shifts or days off don't exist, and anyone not working 9 to 5 is a dolehead. (not my words)

Any proof to back up any of that. No so as usual your post is meaningless

• Advertisement

jimboblep wrote: »
    Any proof to back up any of that. No so as usual your post is meaningless

Benefits are so last year it's all Disability payments now.

Advertisement