Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is health insurance covered if your in the UK?

• 08-12-2015 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭

EG if you visit a hospital in UK would vhi cover it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭boardbro

Is global insurance needed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,584 ✭✭✭✭fits

If you are resident in Ireland you may be covered for certain trips. If you are resident in UK, you may not be covered. Look at terms and conditions of your policy.

I've used the EHIC card in the UK. You just go to the GP or A & E and hand in the card. I didn't pay anything.

"Healthcare services in other EU / EEA countries
    Important information
    The information below reflects the procedures involved in accessing public system healthcare in other member states of the EU or EEA.
    Since 1 July 2004, you can go directly to a care provider, such as a GP or hospital, with your European Health Insurance Card (European Health Insurance Card) or equivalent paper form, if you need healthcare while on a temporary stay in another member state. Please see below for details in each member state." http://www.hse.ie/eng/services/list/1/schemes/EHIC/othercountries/Healthcare_services_in_other_EU_EEA_countries.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭shaunr68

I don't think you even need to produce an E111, Ireland and the UK have a reciprocal agreement on access to health services, a passport or driving licence should suffice. I can't post URLs as a new user but the NHS website says:
    The UK and Irish authorities have an agreement where UK residents do not need their European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) to access healthcare services if they are on a temporary stay in Ireland. It is enough to show proof that you are ordinarily resident in the UK, such as a driving licence, passport or similar documentation that shows your NHS number or its equivalent.

And from the Irish Citizens Information website:
    You don’t need a European Health Insurance Card to get necessary health care while on a temporary visit to the UK if you are an Irish resident. It is enough to show proof that you are ordinarily resident in Ireland. (In practice, proof that you are ordinarily resident in Ireland means a driving licence, Irish passport or similar document.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,476 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Of all the countries in the world, the UK is the place where I'd be least worried about VHI cover/EHIC card etc.

As in Ireland, if you need emergency treatment you will end up in a public hospital via their A&E department, that means you get treated the same as everyone else, regardless of whether you have medical insurance or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭boardbro

The problem is that its a brace (used for pectus problem) and I can't find of anywhere that does it in this country, so my acquaintance would need to get it done in uk, was just wondering if that would be covered ,if you had private insurance in ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,476 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

boardbro wrote: »
    The problem is that its a brace (used for pectus problem) and I can't find of anywhere that does it in this country, so my acquaintance would need to get it done in uk, was just wondering if that would be covered ,if you had private insurance in ireland

Ask the VHI. Most travel and medical insurance policies exclude elective treatment abroad without prior approval.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,377 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

boardbro wrote: »

Re the private insurance, you should address the question to the insurance company.

If you simply turned up in a UK A&E, I doubt that any brace would be fitted as it is not an A&E matter. As your friend does not live in the UK, he cannot register with a GP and therefore would be unable to access long term planned care through a clinical commissioning group.

Advertisement