Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where to buy fermented food

Options
  • 08-12-2015 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know where one could get their hands on fermented foods like kimchi. I heard that fermented foods are great for gut health. Apparently these yogurts like actimal and yacult are a waste of money because the cultures don't last once comsumed.
    Better still does anyone have a really simple method of fermenting something like cabbage or beetroot? From reading about it you need a jar, salt and water.
    Pack the vegetables in the jar and add water and salt. Leave it for a few days at room temperature and that's it. Is that about right or is there more to it. I just need a really simple method. Don't care about taste. If it's good for me I'll eat it is my motto

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Kimchi is pretty easy to get hold of in Asian stores. and then of course there's Sauerkraut which is easily available too in many supermarkets and also Polish shops.

As far as making it yourself, I'm reasonably certain there's no water involved. The salt draws out moisture from the cabbage and that's what the liquid is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

mullinr2 wrote: »
    Does anyone know where one could get their hands on fermented foods like kimchi. I heard that fermented foods are great for gut health. Apparently these yogurts like actimal and yacult are a waste of money because the cultures don't last once comsumed.
    Better still does anyone have a really simple method of fermenting something like cabbage or beetroot? From reading about it you need a jar, salt and water.
    Pack the vegetables in the jar and add water and salt. Leave it for a few days at room temperature and that's it. Is that about right or is there more to it. I just need a really simple method. Don't care about taste. If it's good for me I'll eat it is my motto

I love kimchi, I always order 2 sides of it whenever I'm somewhere that has it. The restaurant/pub "Kimchi" on Parnell Street has my favourite so far.

I'd love a tried and tested, tasty recipe from a boardsie - and I *do* care about taste! :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

There's a thread currently running in Cooking & Recipes on the subject of sauerkraut, and someone's posted a link for a supplier of kimchi:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057535686

Advertisement