Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wineport/Glasson

Options
  • 08-12-2015 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

Hi,

Supposed to be heading to the Wineport Lodge on Thursday for a couple of nights. With the recent weather we've had and what's promised over the next few days just wondering if any locals could let me know if there's any/much flooding around the Wineport / Glasson area?

Have been on to the Wineport and they've said it's grand but just worried that they don't want us to cancel so they're not telling the full story!

Thanks in advance for any replies

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

wineport is right up on the lake. Not sure who high the water is but might be an issue.

Glasson is a fair bit from the waters edge

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Have been on to the Wineport and they've said it's grand but just worried that they don't want us to cancel so they're not telling the full story!

Flooding in Athlone is always below the weir in town.

The Lake up at the wineport is too big to flood. 2009 was the worst in 50 years, and the Wineport was grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭galwaylad1980

The Lake up at the wineport is too big to flood. 2009 was the worst in 50 years, and the Wineport was grand.

That's great to hear. Have been looking forward to the trip for so long, would've been gutted if we had to cancel!

Thanks for the replies guys

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Due to go to Glasson Country House Hotel on Saturday, coming from Castlerea, any issues roads wise?

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Mearings

Unfortunately this is incorrect.

http://cdn-01.independent.ie/incoming/article34275942.ece/58ec7/ALTERNATES/w620/af009.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Mearings wrote: »

Fine, a few inches immediately above the weir as well.

The point is that the Wineport is safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭galwaylad1980

Landed at the Wineport safe and sound.

You can see the level of flooding crossing over the Shannon but no issues out the Cavan Road to Glasson or the back road to the Wineport itself.

The lake is higher than I've ever seen it here but no chance of it reaching the Lodge itself!

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

Fine, a few inches immediately above the weir as well.

The point is that the Wineport is safe.

The point is that it is completely incorrect to state that flooding in Athlone occurs only in areas downstream of the weir wall.

I can also assure you that there was way more than a few inches of flooding in areas well upstream of the weir during when the last serious flooding occurred six years ago.....

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

In the last floods I was able to bring my boat right up to my room :)

1796710_578785038865563_342917943_n.jpg?oh=0fd9d528acf657496fb630e71a2e2f73&oe=56D83F6D

Advertisement