Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there any makeup artist here?

Options
  • 08-12-2015 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭

Looking for a bit of advise on what contour would be best for me ,cream or powder palettes? I have powder at the moment but can't get the blending right. I'm pale enough I use rimmel match perfection soft beige 200 for everyday wear.
    Thanks x

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Taboola

What part of the blending is going wrong for you? Are you putting too much product on?

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭ja1986

Taboola wrote: »
    What part of the blending is going wrong for you? Are you putting too much product on?

When I do the actual contouring I'm getting a harsh enough line like I think I am anyway,maybe I have the wrong brushes? The highlight is blending ok for me. I put a light powder over my foundation as a base for the powder contour to take.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭aine92

ja1986 wrote: »
    When I do the actual contouring I'm getting a harsh enough line like I think I am anyway,maybe I have the wrong brushes? The highlight is blending ok for me. I put a light powder over my foundation as a base for the powder contour to take.

(Not a makeup artist just an addict!!)

What brush are you using? I would definitely stick with the powder. I consider myself fairly adept at applying my makeup and I find cream hard to work with, definitely not something to be done in a rush. With your powder, you should take a slightly darker colour (I wear Rimmel Lasting Finish in 200 Soft Beige) like Nyx Taupe, or for a warmer touch use a matte, non glittery bronzer. I use this one in Darker Skin. Always start with a light hand as you can build it up slowly, and do it in natural light so you can see what you do.

I like to do a figure 3. I use an angled powder brush like this one from Dealz (this is what I use!) to buff the darker colour onto my temples, then down at my cheeks being careful not go go too far towards my mouth, and then continuing down under my jaw. I then use an old brush from Hoola like this and use that to intensify the colour along my cheekbone, and use my angled brush to blend in a linear motion.

This photo might help: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/7c/33/78/7c337813a5d8ad61079c9154f26aed75.jpg

I hope this is helpful!!

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭ameliams

Looking for a bit of advise on what contour would be best for me ,cream or powder palettes? I have powder at the moment but can't get the blending right. I'm pale enough I use rimmel match perfection soft beige 200 for everyday wear.
    Thanks x

What contour palette are you using?
    Some palettes tend to have orangey brown shades that are too warm for pale skin.

I also don't like cream, because I have oily skin I feel very greasy using cream products and it also feels quite heavy. They are also in my opinion much harder to work with. I think it works for photography but for every day wear not so much.

Nyx taupe is a good shade for pale skin but can be hard to get. Rimmel do a matte bronzer which is quite good as well.

At the moment I'm using the inglot sculpt powders. I go between 502/504. 504 would work better if you're paler I think.

aine92 wrote: »
    (Not a makeup artist just an addict!!)

What brush are you using? I would definitely stick with the powder. I consider myself fairly adept at applying my makeup and I find cream hard to work with, definitely not something to be done in a rush. With your powder, you should take a slightly darker colour (I wear Rimmel Lasting Finish in 200 Soft Beige) like Nyx Taupe, or for a warmer touch use a matte, non glittery bronzer. I use this one in Darker Skin. Always start with a light hand as you can build it up slowly, and do it in natural light so you can see what you do.

I like to do a figure 3. I use an angled powder brush like this one from Dealz (this is what I use!) to buff the darker colour onto my temples, then down at my cheeks being careful not go go too far towards my mouth, and then continuing down under my jaw. I then use an old brush from Hoola like this and use that to intensify the colour along my cheekbone, and use my angled brush to blend in a linear motion.

This photo might help: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/7c/33/78/7c337813a5d8ad61079c9154f26aed75.jpg

I hope this is helpful!!

Ooh very helpful thank you! I think I might have the same skin type as you as I'm using the same foundation shade. Gonna head a pick ur products tomorrow and give it a bash thank you x

• Advertisement

ameliams wrote: »
    What contour palette are you using?
    Some palettes tend to have orangey brown shades that are too warm for pale skin.

I also don't like cream, because I have oily skin I feel very greasy using cream products and it also feels quite heavy. They are also in my opinion much harder to work with. I think it works for photography but for every day wear not so much.

Nyx taupe is a good shade for pale skin but can be hard to get. Rimmel do a matte bronzer which is quite good as well.

At the moment I'm using the inglot sculpt powders. I go between 502/504. 504 would work better if you're paler I think.

I'm going to upload pics of the palettes there because they do look a bit orange now that u say it. I'm actually good enough at applying my makeup , it's just this I haven't got the hang of no matter how many videos I watch!

These are the powders I'm using

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

That does look very warm and orange for someone so pale. You definitely need something with an ashier tone to it, maybe finding a taupe colored matte eyeshadow would be easier than finding a specific contouring product? Inglot are fantastic for cooler toned powders so my recommendation would be to try there :)

These are the powders I'm using

I actually have this and love it but I found that it didn't blend as well over certain foundations.

Its probably just a little too warm for your skin. Most contour palettes can be very warm so you probably better off picking an individual shade rather than an all in one palette.

ameliams wrote: »
    I actually have this and love it but I found that it didn't blend as well over certain foundations.

Its probably just a little too warm for your skin. Most contour palettes can be very warm so you probably better off picking an individual shade rather than an all in one palette.

Ya I'm thinking about getting one of the shades mentioned above and will continue with the highlight I'm using. I think I might be caking on the powder as well so Il build slow later with my other brushes just to see if it's actually my blending that's the problem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭numbernine

Could i butt in here and ask a question? What order do you do your make up.. Do you do foundation then contour then powder or how does it work? Newb here to contouring and highlighting?

numbernine wrote: »
    Could i butt in here and ask a question? What order do you do your make up.. Do you do foundation then contour then powder or how does it work? Newb here to contouring and highlighting?

I put on my foundation first and dust over with a bit of powder and then I TRY! to contour and highlight with powder .

numbernine wrote: »

I do foundation, highlight with concealer, powder and then powder contour.

If I use powder highlight I do it after I set my foundation with powder.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

For a full face of make up ie. for a night out I'd do foundation, concealer, cream contour, translucent powder, contour, then highlight last.

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    For a full face of make up ie. for a night out I'd do foundation, concealer, cream contour, translucent powder, contour, then highlight last.

So do you use concealer as a highlight and then set with trans powder and then powder contour and powder highlight? Is the concealer a few shades lighter ya?

So do you use concealer as a highlight and then set with trans powder and then powder contour and powder highlight? Is the concealer a few shades lighter ya?

Not the person you asked but considering I am the same colouring as you (I'm quite sallow but winter just washes me out!!) I will tell you mine too.

I use my Rimmel Lasting perfection in 200, then I conceal and highlight with Catrice Liquid Camouflage in 010 Porcelain. I then set my whole face with Rimmel Stay Matte in 009 Amber. I then use my Nyx Taupe to contour and my catrice bronzer, along with a blush (so worn I don't even know what is it!:p). I then highlight with my Mary Loumanizer by The Balm (I don't use highlighter every day, only when I'm not feeling lazy) and set my face again with Catrice Prime and Fine which is just a translucent powder to keep it all in place.

Not the person you asked but considering I am the same colouring as you (I'm quite sallow but winter just washes me out!!) I will tell you mine too.

I use my Rimmel Lasting perfection in 200, then I conceal and highlight with Catrice Liquid Camouflage in 010 Porcelain. I then set my whole face with Rimmel Stay Matte in 009 Amber. I then use my Nyx Taupe to contour and my catrice bronzer, along with a blush (so worn I don't even know what is it!:p). I then highlight with my Mary Lou (I don't use highlighter every day, only when I'm not feeling lazy) and set my face again with Catrice Prime and Fine which is just a translucent powder to keep it all in place.

Aw thanks so much wish I seen this when I was in town picking up my brushes! I'm after picking up a concealer and the catrice bronzer I got a pressed powder couldn't find translucent or didn't read it properly but in a cool shade just to set my foundation.il practice practice practice tonight with what I have ! Gonna pick up the prime and fine tomorrow .
    Thanks a mill girls x

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

For a contour powder I sometimes use an eyeshadow from Dealz, its the make up gallery one in the shade Cappuccino, its like a taupe colour, it works great for a contour, but for me personally, I need to blend a teeny bit of my L'Oreal glam bronze with it as its slightly too ashy/cool for me.

This is it http://www.dealz.ie/health-and-beauty/make-up-gallery/eyes/make-up-gallery-colour-story-eyeshadow-cappucino

I use an angled brush like this one http://www.dealz.ie/health-and-beauty/beauty-and-skincare/make-up-accessroies/make-up-angled-blush-brush-6-5 and use a very very light amount of product and build up as I need to.

I tap the edge of the top of the bristles into the product and use that to contour with as I find it easier that way.

For a contour powder I sometimes use an eyeshadow from Dealz, its the make up gallery one in the shade Cappuccino, its like a taupe colour, it works great for a contour, but for me personally, I need to blend a teeny bit of my L'Oreal glam bronze with it as its slightly too ashy/cool for me.

This is it http://www.dealz.ie/health-and-beauty/make-up-gallery/eyes/make-up-gallery-colour-story-eyeshadow-cappucino

I use an angled brush like this one http://www.dealz.ie/health-and-beauty/beauty-and-skincare/make-up-accessroies/make-up-angled-blush-brush-6-5 and use a very very light amount of product and build up as I need to.

I tap the edge of the top of the bristles into the product and use that to contour with as I find it easier that way.

I also use this angled brush from Dealz and it is amazing!!!

That brush is fab!! So soft. Was just in dealz I could have picked up the eyeshadow 😔 ok I'm gonna upload a pic and please critique.have I too much build up . And sorry for the posing !

• Advertisement

That brush is fab!! So soft. Was just in dealz I could have picked up the eyeshadow 😔 ok I'm gonna upload a pic and please critique.have I too much build up . And sorry for the posing !

I think that looks great, honestly. And no such thing as too much posing :D:D

My only constructive criticism is I think closer to the ear you could blend that out a bit, it's quite dark still, but that could be the light. I would like to see it in natural lighting for a better idea of the actual colour, it's quite warm looking but that could be the warmth that a bulb gives off.

I love your eyebrow shape also!

I think that looks great, honestly. And no such thing as too much posing :D:D

My only constructive criticism is I think closer to the ear you could blend that out a bit, it's quite dark still, but that could be the light. I would like to see it in natural lighting for a better idea of the actual colour, it's quite warm looking but that could be the warmth that a bulb gives off.

I love your eyebrow shape also!

Haha thanks iv been practicing my eyebrow technique since I'm about 12. Mam plucks hers so I started early!!!! Ya that's what I'm thinking is it the blending I have a prob with. Here's one in a better light. My cam is a bit crappy though

Haha thanks iv been practicing my eyebrow technique since I'm about 12. Mam plucks hers so I started early!!!! Ya that's what I'm thinking is it the blending I have a prob with. Here's one in a better light. My cam is a bit crappy though

Sorry girl was MIA for the weekend, how is the practicing going?

Advertisement