Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting a clubnight

Options
  • 08-12-2015 11:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi all, I've been thinking about starting a clubnight for a while. The music would be house/ techno, and it would be a monthly thing, possibly a friday night.
    I've read the old threads on here and a few other things online but I'm still not sure of the best way to proceed. My main concerns are venue and the money. I'd like a small enough venue so that even if not many come it would still be good craic an not look completely dead! The only one I can think of off the top of my head is lost society bassment. The money and organisation is the other worry, Im really only doing it because I love the music and want to throw a good party, I also want to get out of the bedroom and start playing myself! How does it usually work? Will most venues provide security etc. And will the financial commitment break me! If I could break even I'd be more than happy. Its not about the money but I know Ill have to charge something (fiver maybe) to recoup some of the costs. Ive never done anything like this before so any advice I can get off you boardsies will be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭i 15

the venue looks after things like security, pa system, sound engineer(if needed).
    your expenses will be the dj's and promotion, plus if the venue dont have the right equipment(generally will have decks etc but sometimes you'll need extra bits) you'll have to cover that too unless you get good at sweet talking quickly.
    Regarding payment for use of the venue there are two ways.
    1- is you can get the venue for use for free and take a percentage of the bar at the end of the night to pay against your expenses. This is generally the best way to go especially for new nights.
    2- renting the room for say example €300 for the likes of the Hub. Here you'll have to charge in to cover your rent and dj costs. The problem with charging in is that most people have no cash so unless you've booked an international guest, come up with an ingenius promotional plan or just have loads of mates willing to support you trying to get off the ground, no ones gonna risk a fiver in to somewhere to listen to dj's they've never heard of.
    Its a tough game with very little rewards but every now and then it pays off or else you gain a crowd over the years and establish a buzz.
    A.B.P. is something you have to never forget and look to apply in every opportunity.
    I'll explain that below...
    I run FREE TECHNO and this Friday have two of Irelands top dj's playing for 4 hours back to back in the Basement of Sweeneys. Free in from 10pm till 3am.

A - Always
    B - Be
    P - Promoting

Good luck with it man, the scene needs fresh nights all the time. Its daunting but you dont get if you dont try.

Advertisement