Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Handheld console

Options
  • 09-12-2015 12:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Hello all,

A friend of mine is in hospital for the foreseeable future. I'd like to get him something to help him pass the time a little between visitors/treatment etc. I know he was a gamer before his illness so I'd like to get him whatever the best handheld console is. Unfortunately I am so long removed from gaming, I have no idea what is good anymore.

So, if you could recommend a) what to buy and b) where to buy it, I would really appreciate the help.

In case it helps, I am UK based and my friend is 29.

Thanks in advance,

Darren.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

It really depends, the vita has a nice big screen, better graphics and more adult orientated games but the 3ds is better supported right now.

Honestly, you would be better off asking him. I know this can take away from the gift but the worst thing that can happen is you buy something they might not enjoy or even already have.

Another thing about the vita is you can get a membership for about 50 euro a year and you get 2 games free per month and sometimes more games. They are usually pretty decent games too.

If you do go for the 3ds then try get the new version of the console with the second thumb stick. And try get the XL version too, it is much better for adult hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

You looking for one with games prebuilt into it?

Or a more mainstream one that you buy games for? If they have a playstation, psvita is a great companion, if they are a Nintendo head, stick with a 3ds.

You'll get better deals on games for the vita but you need a decent Internet connection. 3ds games are more expensive but honestly the quality of games is generally higher

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Thanks Salamanca, he is struggling for money at the moment (illness means he can't work) and I know he'd refuse unless it just turns up at his house in the post. Is there a site that you might recommend to have a look around at prices?

Thanks again.

Thanks to you too Red. Feeling very old now, having barely even heard of the current crop!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

Thanks Salamanca, he is struggling for money at the moment (illness means he can't work) and I know he'd refuse unless it just turns up at his house in the post. Is there a site that you might recommend to have a look around at prices?

Thanks again.

Adverts.ie is good for second hand consoles, nothing wrong with it so long as you stick to higher feedback users.

If you want to get a new console then smyths and argos have been having good deals recently on consoles, especially the first generation 3ds xl.

If money is an issue then it might be a good idea to get a vita and the year membership for the monthly games.

Amazon is another good place to look. Amazon.de and Amazon.es have been cheaper recently due to the horibile exchange rate but you can still find good deals sometimes on amazon.co.uk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

If he's into older/retro gaming the GPD XD is worth considering - http://www.funstockretro.co.uk/gpd-xd-retro-gaming-gamepad

• If he's into older/retro gaming the GPD XD is worth considering - http://www.funstockretro.co.uk/gpd-xd-retro-gaming-gamepad

oooooo

Nice1

Thanks for the help everyone, ended up asking another friend what he would enjoy and went for the Vita mega pack.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Thanks for the help everyone, ended up asking another friend what he would enjoy and went for the Vita mega pack.

Thanks!

Very good choice. It's a seriously great handheld. Very very underrated.

I've got huge use of mine. From vitas own games which there are tons of in particular if you/he in this case likes rpg's.

Massive back catalogue of older playstation games and indies of course to beat the band.

Also remote play of the ps4 is a great feature that he might use down the line.

Advertisement