Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New PC build. UP to €1,000

Options
  • 09-12-2015 12:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

1. What is your budget? [€1000]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Gaming]
    Primarily gaming and recording gaming videos. I want to be able to play all of the new games, ideally at the highest settings possible.

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [Yes/No]
    No

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer?
    I don't think so no.

5. Do you need a monitor? [No]
    My monitor is fine for the moment.

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future?
    1920 x 1080. Yeah I'm open to getting a better monitor, especially if this one I have isnt up to the caliber of the PC. Currently use a 23inch HD TV as second monitor.
    Dell-s2309w-series

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? No

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? I'm open to the possibility but probably beyond my ability.

8. How can you pay? Debit/Credit Card

9. When are you purchasing? Soon. Once I'm satisfied that the money I'm spending isn't being poorly used.

10. If you need help building it, where are you based?
    I don't need any help building it.

A popular Twitch streamer and personality reviewed a PC which I hope you geniuses might enlighten me as to whether or not its an easier/worthy investment. It's past my budget by a bit but I'm very suggestible.
    - CPU: Intel i5-6400 3.2GHz Quad Core Skylake
    - GPU: ASUS STRIX NVIDIA GTX 970 4GB GDDR5
    - RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000MHz
    - Motherboard: ASUS Z170-E
    - Power Supply: 600w AeroCool Integrator Power Supply
    - Case: AeroCool Aero-800 Windowed Midi Tower
    - HDD: 1TB Seagate Barracuda SATA III HDD
    - DVD Drive: 24x Samsung Internal DVD Re-Writer
    - CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Contac 21 CPU Air Cooler
    £799.99

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

dropping the dvd drive and cooler almost gets you on buget

drop the motherboard down a model and your below buget

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Strange build - did the streamer say he was spending money on a cooler and OCing motherboard with a view towards upgrading the CPU in the future? Or was he just wasting cash for laughs?

Sticking to your €1000 budget - buy the case wherever, should be €50-€60, get the innards from mindfactory.de and you can afford an SSD, a much better HDD with twice the capacity, a better PSU and I've swapped out the 970 for a 390 because it's cheaper and better.

HfcMkLz.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Robcol

It's a pre assembled computer that he received. My account here is too new to link it apparently.
    Seems like a sick build. Think my monitor is ok for that rig?

Ah, fair enough. Some company trying to dazzle people by throwing costs at the machine.

Your monitor will be fine, upgrade whenever you want or can afford it. I wouldn't be in a rush to get rid of it unless you want to go bigger or you're a CS:GO or SFV obsessive or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Grindles PC is fairly nice there

Perfect for 1080p imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Eoinmc97

grindle wrote: »
    Strange build - did the streamer say he was spending money on a cooler and OCing motherboard with a view towards upgrading the CPU in the future? Or was he just wasting cash for laughs?

Sticking to your €1000 budget - buy the case wherever, should be €50-€60, get the innards from mindfactory.de and you can afford an SSD, a much better HDD with twice the capacity, a better PSU and I've swapped out the 970 for a 390 because it's cheaper and better.

HfcMkLz.jpg

Couldn't go wronge here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Robcol

Hey I couldn't find the exact 8GB ram you suggested. Seems to be gone from the site.

Is the (8GB Kingston HyperX DDr4-2400 DIMM CL12 Savage Single Item number: 8635848) the correct alternative?

You could go for that alright, but I've got a mental block against paying more than E50 for 8GB of RAM so I'd go for this this or this.

The RAM you chose is quite good for the price though, very low latency and easily overclocked to 2666mhz. Hrrrmmmm...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

grindle wrote: »
    You could go for that alright, but I've got a mental block against paying more than E50 for 8GB of RAM so I'd go for this this or this.

The RAM you chose is quite good for the price though, very low latency and easily overclocked to 2666mhz. Hrrrmmmm...

You should see the earliest threads on this forum, I recall someone getting a good deal of 2gb for £200 or something ridiculous

Actually, hold the phone - the mobo in my pic only supports 2133mhz RAM, seems the newer mobos are gimped that way (which is strange because 2400 DDR4 is the 1600 DDR3 equivalent). If you stick with that mobo you can get cheaper RAM now.
    You should see the earliest threads on this forum, I recall someone getting a good deal of 2gb for £200 or something ridiculous

Horrific!

• Advertisement
Advertisement