Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Redundancy Matrix

Options
  • 09-12-2015 1:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭

So to keep it short.

800 people getting let go for my company.

I had a meeting with my manger who said a warning I got 3 years ago and is no longer in my file could be used in deciding if I get let go.

" HR can remember." He said.

I know it legally can't but what goes on behind closed doors in HR? Could I ask to see the Matrix or would that break privacy laws?

Thanks for reply in advance.

Gar

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭screamer

That sounds very unprofessional to me. If these are forced redundancies then I don't know that you have much choice, but using some warning that is well off your record as a way to decide if you go or not....... I dunno, your manager sounds like an idiot to even say that to you.

When you mean the matrix do you mean the names of those slated for redundancy? In that case, I don't think that you can see it as it is a breach and could well be people on there who aren't even aware they are for the chop too. It'd be like showing you the payroll run for the entire company.

What do you want to see or understand from seeing the matrix?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭gar32

Only that it is fair and what point system is used so I can understand why I would be let go and another person was not.

Age, years of service, Skills, Education etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,572 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Your right to be worried. I worked as a supervisor on a company who had a few rounds if redundancies and used a matrix.
    After completing everything and siting in managment meetings senior managers then cherry picked over the whole thing "I don't like yer man, do what it takes to get him below the line" or " he's an obliging sort, bring him up and save him".

Asking to see the matrix won't help as seeing your own info on it's own is useless.
    Oh, and chances are your previous warning paperwork is still on your file. A warning may expire but the process amd paperwork of the warning are legal documents and shouldn't be destroyed, that's been the process in companies I've managed in anyway, including current one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Unless the reason is one of discrimination I'd say it doesn't matter about the matrix and they can put anyone on the list

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭gar32

To make things a little more complex I live in Germany where there has also to be a social Matrix. Points for children & wife not working are added.

I will start looking for a job back home maybe. That's if you are not under water before I make it back :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

The whole matrix system of deciding who goes and who stays is an incredibly dodgy method and I have lost count of the number of unfair dismissal cases out there that were won based on unfair selection for redundancies, I would have thought that Irish companies were a bit more clued in on Employment Law. OP, you can question anything you want about your selection. If you feel fobbed off, contact a solicitor with a decent rep in employment law. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭micks

went through several rounds of this a few years ago. After the initial announcement we got the "come talk if you've questions" - so i did
    I questioned how the scoring could be consistent across several areas/dept's - I was assured HR would ensure consistency
    I asked my manager and HR manager to humour me with a question - they agreed.
    I asked them to each write down a number - to rate the weather that day out of 10
    One gave 6 the other 7 - they didnt get my point!
    That is one issue the other is the reverse engineering of scores to keep who they want
    Then you get the anomalies - we were scored on 5 topics
    - relevant technical knowledge
    - attitude to work
    - teamwork
    - relevant experience
    - flexibility

I went through 4 rounds of this over 3 years
    They were never able to answer me how from the first to last my score for relevant technical knowledge & relevant experience actually dropped
    Showed me what a farcical company I was working for and I and many others left after the 4th round of our own accord

Advertisement