Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rounding down annual leave

Options
  • 09-12-2015 9:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Hi,

Just did a quick calculation of my worked up end of year pro rata'd annual leave and I had 5.37 days.

However my employer is rounding this value down to 5 days. I was wondering if this is correct or If I should be able to keep the .37 of a day I have worked ... or even if the .37 should be rounded up to .5.

Cheers Jack.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,347 ✭✭✭Tefral

higgins_j wrote: »
    Hi,

Just did a quick calculation of my worked up end of year pro rata'd annual leave and I had 5.37 days.

However my employer is rounding this value down to 5 days. I was wondering if this is correct or If I should be able to keep the .37 of a day I have worked ... or even if the .37 should be rounded up to .5.

Cheers Jack.

The general convention on rounding is: 0-49 round-down 50-99 round up.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭georgewickstaff

You cannot round down. Rounding up may occur if your employer is gnerous.

Rounding down may affect your statutory annual leave. If they round down are you getting 19.63 days leave this year?

You are entitled to 20 days as a minimum if full time or 8% if casual. They cannot round down. End of thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

same happened me. large multi national

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭endagibson

0.37 of an 8 hour day is 2.96 hours. Arrange to leave 2 hours early one Friday afternoon. Or come in two hours later that your usual start time.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭higgins_j

ya it's what I'm planning to do :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭higgins_j

Was just wondering if it was right that companies can round down is all ...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,891 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If they only give minimum annual leave, then no it's not right.

But if they give more, even only 21 days, then rounding down would be ok because you're still getting the legal minimum.

IMHO - not legal advice.

Advertisement